ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Getting memory sticks to their advertised speeds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting memory sticks to their advertised speeds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobeartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting memory sticks to their advertised speeds
    Posted: 30 May 2017 at 4:13am
Hey all,

So I can't seem to get my ram to post at the advertised XMP profile. Here is a link to the exact ram I have. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231892 I know that its advertised at x99/z170. I read in the comments that it was good for Ryzen builds but might have jumped the gun and bought something that wasn't compatible(oh well if so). I have the X370 Gaming K4 board, and I've seen people have luck with certain timings and voltage(not on the same motherboard), but I was just wondering if by changing timings to 14 14 14 34 (which are the timings I've seen people have luck on) and not changing the voltage, I might be able to get the computer to POST. I'm relativity new to overclocking memory, and I've been watching a lot of videos on the subject, but mainly was just wondering if I could get the desired 2666mhz without having to up the voltage. 

Has anyone with this board been able to get their memory to post at 2666? If so what timings are you using and what voltage? 

Thanks in advanced. 

Edited by bobeartow - 30 May 2017 at 4:14am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 5:53am
link dosnt work for me (maybe due to being in the UK )
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
GenesisDoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 6:04am
Wait for new Bios updates with AGESA 1.0.0.6, you'll probably be able to reach the rated speeds then. Probably will be released in around 2-3 weeks.
Taichi X370, Ryzen 1700 @ 4ghz, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Ram, Samsung 960 EVO nvme, Intel 600P nvme, 2TB Seagate HDD, 2TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Mushkin SSD, GTX 1080
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 10:42am
Originally posted by bobeartow bobeartow wrote:

Hey all,

So I can't seem to get my ram to post at the advertised XMP profile. Here is a link to the exact ram I have. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231892 I know that its advertised at x99/z170. I read in the comments that it was good for Ryzen builds but might have jumped the gun and bought something that wasn't compatible(oh well if so). I have the X370 Gaming K4 board, and I've seen people have luck with certain timings and voltage(not on the same motherboard), but I was just wondering if by changing timings to 14 14 14 34 (which are the timings I've seen people have luck on) and not changing the voltage, I might be able to get the computer to POST. I'm relativity new to overclocking memory, and I've been watching a lot of videos on the subject, but mainly was just wondering if I could get the desired 2666mhz without having to up the voltage. 

Has anyone with this board been able to get their memory to post at 2666? If so what timings are you using and what voltage? 

Thanks in advanced. 

Your link did not work for me either, but is your memory this one, the G.SKILL Ripjaws V series?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231892

I recall another user of Ripjaws 5 memory in a Ryzen board posting in the forum, and he also did not have good luck with it at higher speeds.

What speed can you run that memory at now?

You can always try the timings you listed, that won't hurt anything, but if the memory chips on those DIMMs cannot run at those latency values even at 2133 or 2400, they won't at 2666.

Another problem is the memory is only rated up to 2666. That is decent for X99, and fair for Z170. Reaching the highest rated speed is at the edge of stability for the memory chips, and if compatibility is only fair with Ryzen to begin with, reaching 2667 may not happen.

I see a review on Newegg at the very top saying it works at 2666 with a Ryzen system. The very next review below it contains a comment from G.SKILL, including this: "Unfortunately, this particular memory kit is not officially certified for the ASUS X370 motherboard, so a BIOS update or additional tweaking may be necessary".

Why are you reluctant to increase the voltage, or are you already at 1.35V?

bobeartow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobeartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 3:49am
I'm not really reluctant, I just didn't want to have to switch the voltage if it wasn't necessary. Now that I say that, that doesn't make much sense, lol I'm gonna have to switch the voltage for it to even POST. 

I'm currently running at 2133 1.2v with what I believe are the timings advertised on the memory kit (15 15 15 35). I'll try for 2400 and see if it POSTs at the 1.2v. If it doesn't then I'll up the voltage. 
bobeartow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobeartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 4:21am

I'm not really reluctant, I just didn't want to have to switch the voltage if it wasn't necessary. Now that I say that, that doesn't make much sense, lol I'm gonna have to switch the voltage for it to even POST. 

I'm currently running at 2133 1.2v with what I believe are the timings advertised on the memory kit (15 15 15 35). I'll try for 2400 and see if it POSTs at the 1.2v. If it doesn't then I'll up the voltage. 

Alright, looks like I have it stable so far at 2400mhz using 15 15 15 15 35 at 1.2v. I tried increasing the voltage to 1.35v and 2666mhz but couldn't get it to POST. I also tried it with 14 14 14 14 34 at 2666mhz 1.35v and it didn't POST. 

I guess I'll have to wait for a bios update to be able to get my 2666 speeds. :(
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 4:30am

you may have to try higher timings NOT lower timings the faster you go

eg 16 16 16 38 and 1.35v
also raising the SOC volts to 1.0v or 1.1v is helpful
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
mister2forme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mister2forme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 4:15am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Hey all,

Thanks in advanced. 

Your link did not work for me either, but is your memory this one, the G.SKILL Ripjaws V series?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231892

I recall another user of Ripjaws 5 memory in a Ryzen board posting in the forum, and he also did not have good luck with it at higher speeds.

What speed can you run that memory at now?

You can always try the timings you listed, that won't hurt anything, but if the memory chips on those DIMMs cannot run at those latency values even at 2133 or 2400, they won't at 2666.

Another problem is the memory is only rated up to 2666. That is decent for X99, and fair for Z170. Reaching the highest rated speed is at the edge of stability for the memory chips, and if compatibility is only fair with Ryzen to begin with, reaching 2667 may not happen.

I see a review on Newegg at the very top saying it works at 2666 with a Ryzen system. The very next review below it contains a comment from G.SKILL, including this: "Unfortunately, this particular memory kit is not officially certified for the ASUS X370 motherboard, so a BIOS update or additional tweaking may be necessary".

Why are you reluctant to increase the voltage, or are you already at 1.35V?

It depends on the Ripjaws.  They don't all use the same chips.  

Case in point... My system - http://valid.x86.fr/zdlngh

One thing I did notice, is that CAS is the most sensitive of the timings.  You can see in my validation that I have to run CAS 18, even though the chips are rated at 15.  I've found that CAS timings have negligible effect on performance at 3200.  

Edited by mister2forme - 01 Jun 2017 at 4:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic