ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newb RAM questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Synch82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synch82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newb RAM questions
    Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 8:28pm
Can I ask (for reference) what RAM you're using? Brand and type etc.?
"Water? Never touch the stuff. Fish f**k in it ya know!"
mister2forme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mister2forme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 8:03pm
It's really hit or miss. I have 4x16GB in my taichi. They are running at 3200MHz (Their rated speed), but they are Samsung B-Die chips. On the 2.3 Bios, the only tweak I had to make other than enabling XMP, was to bump the CAS up to 18 from 15. Everything else was set to auto.
moonstarmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonstarmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 1:38am
Currently you may only reach 2400 with the RAM until the new AGESA 1.0.0.6 BIOS updates happen.  Ryzen currently has issues with most Hynix chips and some Samsung chips.  As for the amount of RAM, 32GB is a bit much unless you are doing movie/music editing or other memory heavy programs.  16GB is more than enough for gaming, streaming, or the like.

In the end it really depends on personal preference.
Synch82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synch82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 10:54pm
Thanks for all the help.

With the G.Skill Trident Z, how reliable are they in terms of compatibility?

What would be the chances of something like this 

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232206

working at close enough to it's rated frequency on an X370 Taichi and the latest BIOS updates?

Edited by Synch82 - 05 Jun 2017 at 10:55pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 12:00pm
Four DIMMs are more likely to only reach a lower speed than two DIMMs, even if the total capacity is the same.

Actually, given what I have seen about memory that works and doesn't work with Ryzen, I couldn't begin to predict what the result will be.

All I can say is that as long as the TridentZ memory has Samsung memory chips in it, then it will at least work in the board. At what speed and capacity combination, I have no idea.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 10:48am
Conraire makes some good points yet I'd go with two sticks instead of four

In my experience four sticks on an AMD can load up the IMC whereas two usually doesn't.
Conraire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conraire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 1:55am
If you're wanting the best chance to run the Ram at its advertised clock speeds, it's hard to say exactly.  Since 4 single rank 8GB ram sticks, vs 2 Dual rank 16GB ram stick is a real toss up with the memory controller.

This would be the option most likely to run at 2666Mhz or faster.
https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx%3FItem=N82E16820232207

Synch82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synch82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 12:55am
Hey people.

Had some questions on RAM. I'm new to anything modern with desktop PCs (say within 8 years...last one I built myself) but was given an ASRock Taichi X370 and a Ryzen 7 1700X chip by a friend (he won a premium system in a comp and handed off the stuff from his initial build attempt to me). So I decided to build myself a new system.

Just wondering a few things, given the mess that RAM seems to be at the moment.

What are the pros and cons to running an 8x4 set on this motherboard?

If the 8gb stick of RAM works and is on the supported list, would it be reasonable to assume it'd support two sticks of 16GB?

I'm looking at putting in either

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232206&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6147925&SID=j3i6ykqs0p0009ks00053

or

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232482&cm_re=g.skill_32gb_rgb-_-20-232-482-_-Product

Any help or advice, I'd appreciate it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic