ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 fatal1ty Gaming Pro B2 RAM slot problems.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vicheron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 fatal1ty Gaming Pro B2 RAM slot problems.
    Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:34am
When first built my computer, I used Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB 3200 mhz. I had to lower the frequency but it ran fine. But after some UEFI and driver updates, the computer wouldn't POST anymore. I put the RAM through memtest and they were fine. But the computer was unstable when I ran the RAM in dual channel. So I put them in A1 and B1 and it was OK.

I just got some Flare X RAM and I started getting permanent freezes and BSOD after only a few minutes of usage. So I checked all my components. Everything was fine. The RAM went through memtest with no errors. I tried using another gpu and hard drive, I even reset my PC, but I was still getting the same freezes and BSOD.

Then I played around with putting the RAM in different slots, which I probably should have done first. And I found out that I was only getting system stability issues when B2 was used. All the other slots where fine. I can put a single stick in A1, A2, or B1 and things would be fine but if I tried putting a stick in B2, even just one stick in B2, I'd have system stability issues. With a stick in B2, the computer will POST and boot up. I can go into the UEFI. I can do memtest with a stick in B2. Windows 10 will still start, and I can log in. But once I start using Windows, the system slows down and either freezes or gets a BSOD after a few minutes.

So do I need to RMA my motherboard or is this a UEFI issue?

My specs:

CPU: Ryzen 1700X
Motherboard: Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming
RAM: G.SKILL Flare X Series 2 x 8GB 2400 mhz
SSD: Samsung PM961 1TB M.2 NGFF PCIe Gen 3.0 x4
HDD: HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3 TB
GPU: Asus DUAL-GTX1070-O8G GeForce GTX 1070
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 8:56am
vicheron, I am expecting my Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming board back soon from RMA.  Slots A1 and A2 have a problem.  With a memory stick in either, my W10 would hang.  With a stick in B1 or B2 never a problem.  Of course, in dual channel, the same hangs.  I never got a BSOD, just the hang.  I cannot be sure that it is my board and not the processor (Ryzen 7 1800X), but I should know in the next few days.  The problem was definitely not the memory.  I RMAed it several times.   Hope you solve your problem soon.  Enjoy, John.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 10:32am
Originally posted by vicheron vicheron wrote:

When first built my computer, I used Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB 3200 mhz. I had to lower the frequency but it ran fine. But after some UEFI and driver updates, the computer wouldn't POST anymore. I put the RAM through memtest and they were fine. But the computer was unstable when I ran the RAM in dual channel. So I put them in A1 and B1 and it was OK.

I just got some Flare X RAM and I started getting permanent freezes and BSOD after only a few minutes of usage. So I checked all my components. Everything was fine. The RAM went through memtest with no errors. I tried using another gpu and hard drive, I even reset my PC, but I was still getting the same freezes and BSOD.

Then I played around with putting the RAM in different slots, which I probably should have done first. And I found out that I was only getting system stability issues when B2 was used. All the other slots where fine. I can put a single stick in A1, A2, or B1 and things would be fine but if I tried putting a stick in B2, even just one stick in B2, I'd have system stability issues. With a stick in B2, the computer will POST and boot up. I can go into the UEFI. I can do memtest with a stick in B2. Windows 10 will still start, and I can log in. But once I start using Windows, the system slows down and either freezes or gets a BSOD after a few minutes.

So do I need to RMA my motherboard or is this a UEFI issue?

My specs:

CPU: Ryzen 1700X
Motherboard: Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming
RAM: G.SKILL Flare X Series 2 x 8GB 2400 mhz
SSD: Samsung PM961 1TB M.2 NGFF PCIe Gen 3.0 x4
HDD: HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3 TB
GPU: Asus DUAL-GTX1070-O8G GeForce GTX 1070
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2

It sounds like you've tested everything with the memory as much as possible. As long as you are sure the DIMM is seated in the B2 slot correctly, then it seems that slot has a problem. Weird that it tests fine in memtest but fails in Windows. I imagine that is why you are wondering.

The only other possibility is if one of the FlareX DIMMs is bad, but your memtest testing seems to indicate that is not the situation. Do you recall if you tried both of the FlareX DIMMs in the B2 slot?

This should not be a UEFI issue. Plus you are running the memory at a non-OC speed, so it should work fine.

The only other thing you could try is, when putting memory in the B2 slot, or really any change in memory slots, clear the UEFI/BIOS when you do that. If you still get the problem with the B2 slot after clearing the UEFI, it seems that slot has a problem.

Otherwise, I don't know what else to suggest besides an RMA, sorry to say. When you remove the CPU, carefully check if one or more of its pins are bent and not in its hole in the CPU socket. If there was a bent pin, I can't see how it could pass Memtest, but checking the pins on the CPU is a good idea just in case.
vicheron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vicheron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 3:59am
Thanks for the advice.

I tested both sticks in B2 and found out that it does seem to be one of the Flare X sticks, which is unstable above 1866. For some reason it can pass through several hours of memtest with no errors.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic