ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x370 taichi WiFi issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 5:01pm
wardog,

Don't worry, I am not going away. I really do appreciate the help. Even though I'll probably not use the Taichi onboard wireless I would like to know what is broke, the M/B, the BIOS, Intel Driver or all of my and my neighbors Routers. Or...is there something with my network (SMC Router) that is causing the Taichi wireless chip to become irrational?

Edited by Ken429 - 10 Jul 2017 at 6:18pm
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 5:18pm
I guess you guys gave up on my Taichi Wi-Fi issue.

However, wardog you were correct! I bought a TP-Link C1200 Router and magic occurred. The Taichi is connected to the TP-Link Wi-Fi Router at 5 GHz and works as advertised! Sure would like to understand why all my other devices worked on the "very old" SMC Router and the X370 Taichi went nuts trying to connect. It looks like whatever the Taichi wants is not available on any of the other Routers in the neighborhood including the Hawking Access Point in my Den since it only sees the TP-Link Router?!

One other benefit I got from the new Router is the range of the 2.4 GHz band. The other Wi-Fi devices show the TP-Link signal at full strength through out the house where as the SMC signal strength was weak. The Router and Taichi computer are located in the basement and all the other devices are used upstairs. At this point if I did not want to connect to the an Ethernet network I would not need the Hawking Access Point device - but I still prefer a hardwired Ethernet connection where ever possible. The Hawking does a nice job of that.

Edited by Ken429 - 10 Jul 2017 at 6:17pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Ken429 Ken429 wrote:

[URL=][/URL]I guess you guys gave up on my Taichi Wi-Fi issue.

However, wardog you were correct!

I hadn't "give up' per se. Only that I had run out of ideas and or suggestions to offer for help.

Congrats on the working now, and greater range.
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 5:01am
wardog,

My son shamed me into testing more Wi-Fi alternatives here is the latest:

Moved the Taichi system to my work bench right under the Hawking Access Point - ~35' from TP-Link 1200 Router.

The system detected the Hawking and only the Hawking! The 5GHz band connection went away.

Tried to connect to the 2.4GHz band and Windows went through all the motions and then said it could not connect!

Moved the system back to the table next to the TP-Link 1200.

The system detected the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz bands.

Connected OK again to the 5GHz band.

"Forgot" the 5GHz band and tried to connect to the 2.4GHz band.

Windows went through all the motions and then said it could not connect!!

Based on the comments made on Amazon by someone who had the Intel 3160 Wi-Fi Adapter in his Laptop it looks like he was right saying the Adapter is very weak.

A little more information - by some unknown magic I turned on the system and there was a very weak 2.4GHz connection! The icon showing signal strength was minimal - one or two bars. I shut the system down and turned the case around so that Wi-Fi Antenna(s) is facing toward the Wi-Fi Router and now the signal strength jumps between 2 bars and full strength. I don't know if the variation has something to do with the Router Radio or the Wi-Fi Adapter on the M/B. The distance between the Router and the Intel Wi-Fi Antenna(s) is not more that 10 feet. I cleared the Windows Log files so that I could see exactly what errors were being generated when I booted and connected to the 2.4GHz band. No errors were generated! So...it appears the Wi-Fi Adapter on "MY" Taichi M/B works but has severe limitations.

I changed the positioning of the Antenna(s) on the Taichi case so they are pointing out away from the case at a 45 degree angle. Now it gets full strength all the time as long as the Antenna(s) are facing the Router. Turned the case around and the signal was back to 1 or 2 bars!      

Edited by Ken429 - 13 Jul 2017 at 5:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic