ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Killer SLI A/C 1.0.0.6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 9:40pm
I believe some have, I am not sure if it is 3200 RAM, possibly higher rated, but I have seen users get 3200 stable on this board. 
AlbinoRhino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 2:07am
So I've been experimenting with v2.5 for over a week now and where I was able to finally boot at 3200 I just can't get it stable enough for usage. There were just too many hiccups in average day to day usage of Windows and even worse... gaming was effected severely.

I tried running a stock CPU setting for a while, adjusting the sub timings (this is what allowed me to finally achieve 3200), tried it with my normal CPU OC (3.9@1.3V), all to no avail.

Next I will try v2.4, but in the mean time I'm back to the rock solid v2.3 with 2933.

Edited by AlbinoRhino - 27 Jun 2017 at 2:08am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 10:55am
Originally posted by AlbinoRhino AlbinoRhino wrote:

I haven't been able to use the XMP profile ever. I don't know much about XMP, but just judging from the settings it looks like a shortcut to simply inputting your own timings. Is that how it works?

I also had the Flare X's and the Trident Z's. Both were CL14 B-Die sets and I also could not get them to 3200. After benching all of them I decided to keep the Corsair LEDs since they matched my build and the benchmarks were only nominally better with the CL14s.

I'm happy at 2933.I can't imagine 3200 making a huge difference. The largest increase in performance benefit that I saw was going from 2133 to 2667. 2667 to 2933 proved a smaller increase.

The only thing left for me to tackle is the m.2 slot 1. I couldn't figure out how to mount my boot drive in that slot because the included screw was too small. Oddly, the screw worked in slot 2 without a problem so that is where my boot drive is now. I don't think the difference between the speeds of the two slots would benefit me since I don't transfer massive files and most of my data sits on the secondary HDD.

That's right, the XMP profile is just a set of memory settings (a profile) programmed into the memory that can be read and applied by the UEFI to quickly configure the settings correctly.

The XMP profile is only one of several predefined memory setting profiles programmed into our DRAM memory. In general this is called the SPD data. That's where the default/Auto memory speed and timings come from. They really aren't programmed into the UEFI, that would be impossible for all the memory models that exist. XMP is just a profile in the memory in a standard location of its own that can be found by the UEFI when you enable the XMP option. By a standard it is the highest performance memory speed and settings that the memory is marketed to operate at.

CPU-Z will show you some of the timing settings for some or all of the various SPD profiles stored in a model of memory. That's on the SPD tab (sorry, this is from my Intel Z270 PC):

So you weren't able to use the XMP profile with both the FlareX and Corsair memory? I can use the FlareX XMP profile, but must set the memory speed to 2933. The XMP profile for the Corsair memory was designed for Intel Z170 or Z270 systems, so the XMP settings may not work well with Ryzen.

I hate to tell you, but the lower m2_2 M.2 slot only runs at PCIe 2.0 x2 (10Gbit/s), while the upper M2_1 slot runs at PCIe 3.0 x4 (32 Gbit/s). I have my 960 EVO in the upper m2_1 slot, and the screw worked fine. The standoffs are identical (or should be) for both M.2 slots, and the screw should fit any of the standoffs. But if you are happy with it as it is, keep it that way.

AlbinoRhino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 4:53am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by AlbinoRhino AlbinoRhino wrote:

I haven't been able to use the XMP profile ever. I don't know much about XMP, but just judging from the settings it looks like a shortcut to simply inputting your own timings. Is that how it works?

I also had the Flare X's and the Trident Z's. Both were CL14 B-Die sets and I also could not get them to 3200. After benching all of them I decided to keep the Corsair LEDs since they matched my build and the benchmarks were only nominally better with the CL14s.

I'm happy at 2933.I can't imagine 3200 making a huge difference. The largest increase in performance benefit that I saw was going from 2133 to 2667. 2667 to 2933 proved a smaller increase.

The only thing left for me to tackle is the m.2 slot 1. I couldn't figure out how to mount my boot drive in that slot because the included screw was too small. Oddly, the screw worked in slot 2 without a problem so that is where my boot drive is now. I don't think the difference between the speeds of the two slots would benefit me since I don't transfer massive files and most of my data sits on the secondary HDD.

That's right, the XMP profile is just a set of memory settings (a profile) programmed into the memory that can be read and applied by the UEFI to quickly configure the settings correctly.

The XMP profile is only one of several predefined memory setting profiles programmed into our DRAM memory. In general this is called the SPD data. That's where the default/Auto memory speed and timings come from. They really aren't programmed into the UEFI, that would be impossible for all the memory models that exist. XMP is just a profile in the memory in a standard location of its own that can be found by the UEFI when you enable the XMP option. By a standard it is the highest performance memory speed and settings that the memory is marketed to operate at.

CPU-Z will show you some of the timing settings for some or all of the various SPD profiles stored in a model of memory. That's on the SPD tab (sorry, this is from my Intel Z270 PC):

So you weren't able to use the XMP profile with both the FlareX and Corsair memory? I can use the FlareX XMP profile, but must set the memory speed to 2933. The XMP profile for the Corsair memory was designed for Intel Z170 or Z270 systems, so the XMP settings may not work well with Ryzen.

I hate to tell you, but the lower m2_2 M.2 slot only runs at PCIe 2.0 x2 (10Gbit/s), while the upper M2_1 slot runs at PCIe 3.0 x4 (32 Gbit/s). I have my 960 EVO in the upper m2_1 slot, and the screw worked fine. The standoffs are identical (or should be) for both M.2 slots, and the screw should fit any of the standoffs. But if you are happy with it as it is, keep it that way.

No, I have never been able to run via XMP until bv2.5. I am currently using it now, but only at 3066MHz. 3066 is stable however.

3200 was booting previously and allowing me to use the PC for anything except for gaming. Now it hangs at the Windows boot screen so I have some more tinkering to do.

Something is not right with my upper M.2 slot post. As I've said before the screw that secures the drive to the board is too small for the upper post. It fit just fine in the lower one so that's where it lives. I'll take a photo of it and post it in a bit.

Edit: The C17 post is the problem. Unless I'm supposed to unscrew that mount or something the accompanying screw is too small for the threaded hole:

https://imgur.com/gallery/5JRum

Edited by AlbinoRhino - 13 Jul 2017 at 5:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic