ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

970 extreme 4 + 32GB RAM dual channel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote China-Sourcing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 970 extreme 4 + 32GB RAM dual channel
    Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 12:37pm
970 extreme 4
FX8320
32GB of F3-1066CL9S-8GBXL G.skill 4x8GB @ 1333
550W PSU
GTX680
win7 64
no O/C

long story short I had the above rig with 2x8GB of the above ram. Ran fine no problems. I then bought 2 more for a total of 32GB.

Can't get it to boot, errors when going into windows.

I've tested each stick individually and they work fine, also tested different combinations of 16GB using old and new and also fine. I tried 24GB and I got it to kind of work. Would boot into windows but overall my computer seemed slower and CPU seemed bottled.

Am I just trying to get too much out of this mobo? I know it's not on the approved list for memory, but 16GB worked.

I would like to upgrade to AMD4 once it's become a bit more mainstream, and just max what I have now.

thanks in advance for any advice or help~ I'm doing a lot of video edits hence the ram.

Edited by China-Sourcing - 23 Jun 2017 at 12:38pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:03pm
Using ONLY your two new sticks, will it run and test/bench ok?
China-Sourcing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote China-Sourcing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 10:40pm
Running on the 2 new ones now,

no problem.

have only tried the 2 slots recommended in manual

cheers
T
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 4:22am
Originally posted by China-Sourcing China-Sourcing wrote:

32GB of F3-1066CL9S-8GBXL G.skill 4x8GB @ 1333

<snip>

long story short I had the above rig with 2x8GB of the above ram. Ran fine no problems. I then bought 2 more for a total of 32GB.

Are these 4 sticks you have 4 "loose' sticks bought individually and not as a Kit(s)?

I have a hunch you have as when someone uses "F3-10666CL9S-8GBXL" to describe them they are 4 separate sticks not from a Kit.

I need to clarify what you have/are using before proceeding further.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote China-Sourcing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 10:52am
Hey hey,

thanks for the reply.

I bought this computer second hand, it came with 2x8GB sticks

earlier this year I bought another 2 sticks from Newegg.

I've tried different combinations of all the sticks and they all work dual channel with each other @ 16gb.

any other information I can provide?

thanks in advance again

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 11:09am
Can you post a pic of the stickers on all 4 sticks?

So, in pairs, as they came 2 with the computer as one pair, and the other two you bought, play nice when paired with it's twin/sibling? But not cross populating using one old and one new?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote China-Sourcing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 12:27pm
Hi sorry for the delay I was away on business.

The 2 sticks that came with the computer I have attached pics.

the other 2 sticks didn't come as a pair from newegg I just bought two of the same sticks. They are in my computer now. I've used combinations of both and haven't had a problem (1,4)(1,3)(2,3)(3,4) etc

My understanding was that if the sticks have the same timings and voltage and were the same model, they could be run in dual-channel and you could buy them individually?

2 old sticks

Edited by China-Sourcing - 15 Jul 2017 at 12:34pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote China-Sourcing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 2:23pm
bump,

I'm thinking about just buying a new mobo. Just want to confirm that if the sticks are working together in different combinations of dual channel, the issue is indeed my motherboard.

Cheers
T
Codemang87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codemang87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 4:34pm
It wouldn't hurt to reset and update your bios if it's not up to date.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by China-Sourcing China-Sourcing wrote:

Hi sorry for the delay I was away on business.

The 2 sticks that came with the computer I have attached pics.

the other 2 sticks didn't come as a pair from newegg I just bought two of the same sticks. They are in my computer now. I've used combinations of both and haven't had a problem (1,4)(1,3)(2,3)(3,4) etc

My understanding was that if the sticks have the same timings and voltage and were the same model, they could be run in dual-channel and you could buy them individually?

2 old sticks

Memory is sold in matched sets for a reason. Mixing random samples of the same model of memory together may or may not work.

wardog asked you to post a picture of all four DIMMs, although we know the two new DIMMs you bought were sold individually, so we know they are not a matched set.

The two original DIMMs in your picture are also not from a matched set. If they were, the serial numbers would be sequential, but they aren't. The last four digits of the serial number are not sequential.

But of more significance is the date on the two original DIMMs, 2012. G.SKILL does not manufacture their own memory chips, they buy them from various sources. We don't know what the dates are on the two new DIMMs you purchased, but I doubt they are from 2012. Assuming a date of say 2015 - 2016, at least three years newer, the chances are the memory chips in the new memory are different than the original memory. Mixing memory with different chips is usually when problems are encountered.

In this situation, it is very difficult to determine if the board is the problem or not. The memory controller is part of the CPU, so the board does not play as great a role in memory compatibility as it has in the past.

Your best chance of using all this memory together is to put the original memory in one channel, and the new memory in the other channel. Since you are using four DIMMs, you should try increasing the DRAM voltage a bit.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic