FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

HDD cable caught fire after turning on CPU fan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HDD cable caught fire after turning on CPU fan
    Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by MistNewt MistNewt wrote:

Hello,
Yesterday I turned on CPU Silent fan from BIOS and set it to automatic with target temperature set as 50°C. Now, my question is: I don't have two fans installed in my motherboard. So can turning that feature on somehow have made the HDD power cable to catch fire?

So you set the CPU cooler's fan speed profile to Silent from some other setting I assume, and afterwards a HDD's power cable burnt?

Did you have the PC case open to do some work right before this happened?

How long has it been since you had the PC case open to inspect any of the cabling?

All you did by changing/setting the CPU cooler's fan speed profile to Silent is probably reduce the speed of the CPU cooler's fan. We don't know how you had the CPU cooler fan speed configured before that.

At no time should any of the power cables from the PSU to any component become hot enough to become burnt. If any one of them is hot enough to burn, there must either be a short circuit or other cause of excessive power draw through the cable.

We have no idea what type of CPU cooler you are using, or the location of the HDD with the burnt power cable, or how many other devices were connected to the cable from the PSU to that HDD. But there should be no reason changing the fan speed profile of a CPU cooler would then cause the power cable to a HDD to become burnt.

If the air flowing from the CPU cooler's fan was keeping that HDDs power cable from burning before you changed the fan speed profile, there was a big problem with that power cable and/or HDD before you changed the fan speed profile.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 10:36pm
No. Not in ANY way that I'm aware/know of. The two are completely isolated from one another.

System specs please. At this point wse don't even know what MB you're talking of. PSU Make/Model # and age too if you would.
MistNewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MistNewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 9:47pm
Hello,
Yesterday I turned on CPU Silent fan from BIOS and set it to automatic with target temperature set as 50°C. Now, my question is: I don't have two fans installed in my motherboard. So can turning that feature on somehow have made the HDD power cable to catch fire?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic