ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

TACHI AND m2 SSD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAVVAGE61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TACHI AND m2 SSD
    Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 9:14am
I am in the process of upgrading my pc I current have an ASROCK Formula OC 1150 w/ I7 4770k and 2 itb HDD in raid 0. I am upgrading to a Tiachi 270/ i7 7700K my question is I am using a SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4  as a boot drive and plan on using my 2 HDDs as storage. my question is How to install windows 10 on the M.2 and use as a Bootdrive/C drive. it is goinfg to be a fresh install and I have heard diffrent ideas on how to do this. i AM UNSURE how to set up the bios so I can just put windows 10 pro on the M.2 so I can work & game on (I work at home on my PC) what drivers do I need what changes do I need to  set it my Bios And do I need to download drivers? would someone mind walking me thru this so I can avoid unforseen problems?
* All so which M.2 slot should I use? I am not planning on any SLI ( I might ad a usb pcie card) but that about it I thank you in advance for any help you guys can offer

M.2  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147593&ignorebbr=1 

THANK YOUSmile

Edited by SAVVAGE61 - 26 Jun 2017 at 9:17am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by SAVVAGE61 SAVVAGE61 wrote:

I am in the process of upgrading my pc I current have an ASROCK Formula OC 1150 w/ I7 4770k and 2 itb HDD in raid 0. I am upgrading to a Tiachi 270/ i7 7700K my question is I am using a SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4  as a boot drive and plan on using my 2 HDDs as storage. my question is How to install windows 10 on the M.2 and use as a Bootdrive/C drive. it is goinfg to be a fresh install and I have heard diffrent ideas on how to do this. i AM UNSURE how to set up the bios so I can just put windows 10 pro on the M.2 so I can work & game on (I work at home on my PC) what drivers do I need what changes do I need to  set it my Bios And do I need to download drivers? would someone mind walking me thru this so I can avoid unforseen problems?
* All so which M.2 slot should I use? I am not planning on any SLI ( I might ad a usb pcie card) but that about it I thank you in advance for any help you guys can offer

M.2  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147593&ignorebbr=1 

THANK YOUSmile

First before you install Windows 10, only have the 960 EVO connected to the board, in any of the three M.2 slots. Either of the two M.2 slots at the bottom of the board are preferable, since in that location it won't be close to a video card, and will run cooler in that location.

You can have your other storage drives connected to the PC at that time, but do not have them connected to power yet. If you have more than one drive connected to the board during the Windows installation, the Windows installer will put the System/Boot partition on another drive, and then the PC will be dependent on both drives to boot Windows.

No idea what you will be using as the Windows 10 installation media, optical disk or ISO file on a USB flash drive. Either way, it is required when using an NVMe SSD like a 960 EVO to select the entry in the Boot order of the installation media with this format: "UEFI: <device name>", where device name is the name of whatever the installation media device is. Any other entry for the installation media with a different prefix like "RAID:" will not work. Using the "UEFI:" entry causes the Windows 10 installer to use the EFI bootloader, which is required for an NVMe SSD.

If you don't find an entry in the boot order with the "UEFI:" prefix, go into the Boot screen and at the bottom find the CSM option. Click on it to go to its sub-options. Find the Launch Storage OpROM Policy option, and set it to UEFI Only. Then you must Save and Exit the UEFI/BIOS to apply that option setting. Go back into the UEFI/BIOS immediately, and find the installation media entry with the UEFI: prefix, and select it as first in the boot order. Don't forget to set the SATA mode to RAID if you will be using RAID.

You won't need to install any drivers during the Windows installation, since Windows 10 has a built in NVMe driver and Intel RAID driver. After you install Windows, you can download and install the Samsung NVMe driver from the 960 EVO's information page. It normally will provide somewhat better performance than the MSoft NVMe driver.

The disk provided with the board has all the necessary drivers, but you could also download them from your board's Windows 10 download page. The most important basic drivers to install are:

INF driver ver:10.1.1.38

Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.6.0.1126

Windows 10 will automatically install drivers for things like the two network interfaces, video card, audio chip, etc, but you may prefer to install drivers specific to your video card, for example.
SAVVAGE61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAVVAGE61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 12:33pm
Thank you very much, very clear and professional instructions. Im gonna print them out and use them, as soon as my drive gets here. Hopefully by Wed. Ill let ya know how I make out
Thx again
SAVVAGE61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAVVAGE61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 11:08am
Parsec Ironically the first PC game I ever played was named Parsec I had a Texas insturment early VERY EARLY computer it has 2 game I remember 1 was the spaceship shooting game parsec and another one about climbing a mountian dodging abonimal snowmen bolders and avalaches Best thing since sliced bread at the time about 35 yrs ago. quick question I installed my cpu and my 960 evo 256 gb boot drive next question I have 2 1tb hybrid SSHD's they are identical and have been set up as raid on my current rig. here is where I show my ignorance.with the SSD as my boot drive can I and is there any reason too set my 2 SSHD's up as a raid, or is it a big waste of time for which if even possible does not effect preformance enough to messd with? Thanks again for the help this time tomorrow I should be up and running thx again
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by SAVVAGE61 SAVVAGE61 wrote:

Parsec Ironically the first PC game I ever played was named Parsec I had a Texas insturment early VERY EARLY computer it has 2 game I remember 1 was the spaceship shooting game parsec and another one about climbing a mountian dodging abonimal snowmen bolders and avalaches Best thing since sliced bread at the time about 35 yrs ago. quick question I installed my cpu and my 960 evo 256 gb boot drive next question I have 2 1tb hybrid SSHD's they are identical and have been set up as raid on my current rig. here is where I show my ignorance.with the SSD as my boot drive can I and is there any reason too set my 2 SSHD's up as a raid, or is it a big waste of time for which if even possible does not effect preformance enough to messd with? Thanks again for the help this time tomorrow I should be up and running thx again

I've never heard of that game, but sounds great and no doubt was fantastic at the time. Parsec is a term from astronomy that I just like the way it sounds. Plus I was usually able to use it as a forum name since no one else used it.

About your SSHDs, you're planning to use them for storage on the new PC? They were your OS drive on the other PC, right?

Using RAID or not depends upon what you'll use them for. If they are just for casual storage then RAID won't matter. Plus RAID 0 can fail without any recovery if you value the files. Not that I'm against RAID 0, I've used it many times. I've never used hybrid drives for storage but unless you work with a lot of very large files there is not much point of using them in RAID 0.

But the problem you will encounter is if you want to stop using them in RAID. If you don't use the Intel IRST Windows utility program or the one you access via Ctrl-i when the PC starts, to disable the RAID array, you'll need to do a full format of both drives to start over again. The way Intel stores the RAID metadata (RAID information) on a RAID array is hard to clean up otherwise. A quick format of the drives in Disk Management won't clean it up correctly, and it will take some work to get those drives back to non-RAID.

So how do you disable that RAID array? If it is your OS drive on the other PC, the IRST programs won't let you disable the RAID array you booted from, if it is the ONLY bootable drive on the PC. Which means you cannot disable it on the old PC. You could try to do that with the Ctrl-i utility, but I doubt that will work.

That means you would need to set the SATA mode to RAID on the Z270 Taichi when you install Windows on the 960 EVO, which will not affect the 960 at all, but then allow you to connect the RAID array on the Z270 board, and then disable it after you install Window on the 960 EVO. If you are not in RAID mode on a PC, you can't use the RAID functions to disable a RAID array. You can move the RAID array from one Intel PC to another, that will work fine as long as both are in RAID mode.

Does this make sense to you? Let me know if not. Don't forget to take any files you need from the RAID array before you disable it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic