ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Finding a M.2 WiFi/BT Module for z270 Gaming K6
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finding a M.2 WiFi/BT Module for z270 Gaming K6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morbid_bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding a M.2 WiFi/BT Module for z270 Gaming K6
    Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 12:17pm
The manual states it needs a "M.2 Socket (Key E) supports type 2230 WiFi/BT module"

I am not finding very many out there?

Will this one work? - https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-AC-802-11ac-Wi-Fi-Bluetooth/dp/B00STV5UKW

It states its a type 2230 but I question it as the card it self appears to have 2 notches on the right side vs the graphic that the manual displays?

If the link above will not work, can I have some recommendations of compatible m.2 wifi/bt cards.

DickLaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DickLaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 7:31am
M.Bean, I had exactly the same question. I did in fact buy a wifi / B-tooth card, AC8260 NGFF etc. However it must be attached to antennas to work, which are bolted into the two holes in upper bracket of the Z270 I/O panel. The problem is connecting the antennas to the card - specifically, the card has two microscopic coaxial connectors (type U.LF, male) which attach to corresponding female connectors at the end of two very thin coax cables to the antenna. I could not attach these microscopic connectors together to save my life. I even used a microscope to confirm the cable-side connectors were the right gender (they were - female).

My local computer guy thinks the card is for laptops only and I'll fry the M-Bd if I plug it in. I think he's wrong but I really need to know what ASRock had in mind when they designed that connector into the Z270. Surely they had some specific parts in mind. But, if they have the same microscopic U.LF coaxial connector ... no way in hell could I make those connectors mate. They seemed to be compatible ... but so incredibly tiny it's impossible to be sure.

Have you asked ASRock tech support? Is that a waste of time, do they respond to questions like this?
   - Dick L
DickLaw
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 9:39am
Originally posted by morbid_bean morbid_bean wrote:

The manual states it needs a "M.2 Socket (Key E) supports type 2230 WiFi/BT module"

I am not finding very many out there?

Will this one work? - https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-AC-802-11ac-Wi-Fi-Bluetooth/dp/B00STV5UKW

It states its a type 2230 but I question it as the card it self appears to have 2 notches on the right side vs the graphic that the manual displays?

If the link above will not work, can I have some recommendations of compatible m.2 wifi/bt cards.

The Intel M.2 E Key wireless network adapter in your link will work in your board just fine. The picture in the manual is not an accurate for an E Key M.2 device, but that interface is a standard for M.2 network adapters.

I am surprised you say you cannot find many out there, that interface is virtually all that Intel uses for their M.2 wireless adapters, for several years now. For example:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/wireless-product-selection-guide.html

Originally posted by DickLaw DickLaw wrote:

M.Bean, I had exactly the same question. I did in fact buy a wifi / B-tooth card, AC8260 NGFF etc. However it must be attached to antennas to work, which are bolted into the two holes in upper bracket of the Z270 I/O panel. The problem is connecting the antennas to the card - specifically, the card has two microscopic coaxial connectors (type U.LF, male) which attach to corresponding female connectors at the end of two very thin coax cables to the antenna. I could not attach these microscopic connectors together to save my life. I even used a microscope to confirm the cable-side connectors were the right gender (they were - female).

My local computer guy thinks the card is for laptops only and I'll fry the M-Bd if I plug it in. I think he's wrong but I really need to know what ASRock had in mind when they designed that connector into the Z270. Surely they had some specific parts in mind. But, if they have the same microscopic U.LF coaxial connector ... no way in hell could I make those connectors mate. They seemed to be compatible ... but so incredibly tiny it's impossible to be sure.

Have you asked ASRock tech support? Is that a waste of time, do they respond to questions like this?
   - Dick L

What ASRock had in mind is including a wireless adapter interface that can be used with the existing wireless adapter products made by a leader in networking hardware, Intel.

Since ASRock or other mother board manufactures do not manufacture wireless adapter cards, they adapt themselves to what the market for wireless adapter cards provides.

Your local computer guy is just plain wrong. If he has never seen these wireless networking cards before, then his experience level, at least with this type of product, is zero. If you check the link above to the Intel wireless adapter products I provided above, you'll find Intel has been using the M.2 E Key interface for these devices since 2013.

It is true that these wireless adapters are used in laptop/mobile computers. They may be small, but most of the device is the interface connection. Yes the antenna connections are tiny, but I have connected the antennas to two of this type of wireless cards in two different PC, without any problem. Yes keen eyesight is needed, and large fingers will make it more difficult to perform the connection.

I'm sorry you had difficulty connecting the antenna cables to your wireless card. But I don't understand why you would blame ASRock for a design used by another manufacture, and is a common standard used for years for these devices.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic