ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Win XP and FM2A68M-HD+

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Win XP and FM2A68M-HD+
    Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 11:08pm
HI, I have years of XP use and would like to continue.  I have so much work related information/Software on my XP that to change to my new machine with WIN 10 fm2a68m-hd+ (doesnt like my old software) is going to take a very long time get it productive.

I just don't have the time to start a new computer Journey at the moment

The question is, can I run XP on my new fm2a68m-hd+ machine? the dealer told me not to, he is not a big fan of XP and even hinted that damage to the MB might occur.

any thoughts on the subject especially with regards to possible damage to the fm2a68m-hd+ MB

Cheers Confused

Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 2:34am
[QUOTE=Brendan] HI, I have years of XP use and would like to continue. ?I have so much work related information/Software on my XP that to change to my new machine with WIN 10 fm2a68m-hd+ (doesnt like my old software) is going to take a very long time get it productive.

I just don't have the time to start a new computer Journey at the moment

The question is, can I run XP on my new?fm2a68m-hd+ machine? the dealer told me not to, he is not a big fan of XP and even hinted that damage to the MB might occur. Any thoughts on the subject especially with?regards to possible damage to the?fm2a68m-hd+ MB

Cheers?Confused
/[QUOTE]

Well that's a 'new' one... he hinted at XP might damage your MB - cute. Highly unlikely as it has the same code/kernel that all MS OS's have to this very day.

Also, AsRock has support downloads for MS OS's for this MB from (yep, go figure...) Microsoft's XP 32/64bit to Win10 32/64-bit.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A68M-HD+/?cat=Download

So you can enjoy your XP if that is your comfort zone as it is supported.

Edited by Kevin A - 05 Jul 2017 at 2:35am
Brendan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 2:07pm
The problem is now how to install the drivers when I cant get the FM2A68M-HD+ mb  to accept a good hard drive with xp and boot up... thus enabling me to install the  FM2A68M-HD+ drivers for xp.

How to I get xp up running and install the correct FM2A68M-HD+ drivers. Is there a work around where I can pre-prepare the boot HD with the suitable Drivers .

I am a bit out of  depth so any help or suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers Confused

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 9:58pm
You need to F6 the SATA Floppy Image when the XP install gets that far.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Brendan Brendan wrote:

The question is, can I run XP on my new fm2a68m-hd+ machine? the dealer told me not to, he is not a big fan of XP and even hinted that damage to the MB might occur.

any thoughts on the subject especially with regards to possible damage to the fm2a68m-hd+ MB

That dealer is unscrupulous. Find another.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 3:04am
Brendan, it has been years since I used XP, but I will try to help.  Please see here for tools and expertise.  nLite is free and is what I used to use.  There is a user guide (PDF).  It will inject drivers but not for boot as I remember.  Using F6 (wardog) allows the Setup.exe (install) to load drivers during XP install.
What does your "good hard drive with XP" have on it?  If it a system disk from another machine, I think using it is near impossible.  If it has the actual XP install files (including Setup.exe), then maybe.  I suspect you cannot purchase a copy of XP (license) so if this old copy is an OEM copy used on another machine, then MS is probably not going to allow you to activate it.  If it is a Retail copy, do you have install media (CD)?  There will be a lot of work to get this going.  Please answer my questions and let's see where it takes us.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  If you do have XP install media, boot it up and tell us what you see.  Does it boot?   Does Setup find your local HDDs?

EDIT again: On the ASRock DL page for your MB are the boot drivers (F6) you need - SATA Floppy Image ver:6.1.2.

Edited by MisterJ - 12 Jul 2017 at 9:08am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
Brendan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 1:03pm
thanks for help,

I have tried to boot form a hd with win xp on it that boots to older mbs.

I have tried booting a disk with xp loaded with win 10 drivers installed.

I have also tried booting to a empty formatted hd with a xp cd with the key .

In all case the windows starts to install but suddenly flickers and goes back to the beginning again in a loop.

"If you do have XP install media, boot it up and tell us what you see.  Does it boot?   Does Setup find your local HDDs?"...... yes it starts to install but then goes into a loop as above, I tell the comp to boot from the CD

On the ASRock DL page for your MB are the boot drivers (F6) you need - SATA Floppy Image ver:6.1.2. ...with this, when I press F6 on start up I get a message "no iso detected"  Confused this sounds as if a usb should be pluged in with the right files??

Brendan
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 11:08pm
Thanks, Brendan.  I still do not understand what is on the HDDs.  Is it install files or an installed Windows XP from another machine.  I suspect the latter has no chance.
What is your install media - CD?  When you boot it does it find your local HDDs?  Do you see the CD twice in your boot menu in BIOS?  If so, be sure to select Non-UEFI.  You should DL the F6 files (32 or 64 bit as your copy of XP), extract them and put the folder on a USB stick.  Plug in the USB stick into USB 2.0, boot to the CD and press F6.  Setup should allow you to select the USB stick and folder containing the SATA driver files.  When you said install started, what was being installed and where?  It has been a long time since I installed XP, but setup should ask some questions (language, time zone, etc), then present a list of HDDs found to install XP.  After loading the SATA drivers, it should show you SATA drives.  I assume you want to install on one of them. 
I do not understand where the "no iso detected" came from unless you tried to boot to something other than the XP install media.
Best of luck and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic