ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No overclocking really gobbles up the juice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HewJazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No overclocking really gobbles up the juice
    Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 4:40pm
Strange occurrence with my AB350M Pro4.  When I have my 1600x running at stock speeds and leave it to auto with no tampering with the voltages, I use over 330watts of power when running games such as the witcher 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider.  When I set the vcore to 1.32(any lower and I get crashes) it still gobbles up the juice(over 300watts).  

When I overclock the 1600x to 4ghz (1.32v), I use less then 140 watts when running the same two games.  Not sure why this is.  I am using the 2.40 bios.  I've tried a couple of different programs that check the watt usage and they show the same results.   What's the deal here?   It also runs hotter with the 3.6 speeds.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 7:37pm
Yea. A GTX Titan Z will do that. Wink  Tongue
HewJazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HewJazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 11:31pm
Ah, not sure what you mean by that comment.  Sarcasm?  I certainly hope your not  insinuating I'm making all this up.   I tried different versions for my bios a week ago but that was only to help increase the speed of my ram.  I won't use anything other then 2.40 at the momment seeing as I can reach 2666 with my 3000Mhz ram.  Any other version and I can't go above 2100.  

Not a fan of overclocking and I'm frugal when it comes to saving on the hydro bill.  This is why I am curious and have bothered myself with testing this.

Edited by HewJazz - 05 Jul 2017 at 11:33pm
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 11:46pm
HewJazz, I think wardog is suggesting in his own way that it is your video card.  I don't know where he came up with "GTX Titan Z", but that is a video card.  AIDA64 gives power for video cards, so if you do not own a license, you might consider trying the trial version.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 11:54pm
Heh, I was really hoping you'd take that as hint/reason to provide us with more than you have a 1600X and a AB350M Pro4 gobbling up those watts.

Ya know. Like system specs.

Edited by wardog - 05 Jul 2017 at 11:54pm
HewJazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HewJazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 2:46pm
Only running a 1070 which is not overclocked.  Something I failed to notice before, my vcore increases considerably  when gaming with no overclock (Auto and setting it to 1.32 doesn't stop this from happening).   It does not jump up nowhere near as much with me overclocking it to 4ghz.  Perhaps the boost and XFR is causing my temps to sore and the power draw to greatly increase with the vcore increases.  Strange that it doesn't do this with an overclock. 

Of course overclocking it disables these features.   It doesn't cause the vcore to soar like gaming with default speeds.  I've tested this for a couple of hours and I keep getting the same results.  300 watts of power draw and an extra 10 to 15c with no overclock.  Strange indeed.

Edited by HewJazz - 06 Jul 2017 at 2:48pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 2:52pm
Don't use Auto voltages. No No Noooooo

MB manuf's set Auto voltages high to enable the most compatiblity
HewJazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HewJazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 9:35pm
Hmm, tried a different voltage setting, 1.35 with no overclock and now I'm using less power then the overclock and theres now less heat.  Odd that increasing it from 1.32 to 1.35 solved the problem.  This motherboard is messed up.  Oh well, gonna leave it on default speeds now.  Thanks for the advice wardog.

Edited by HewJazz - 07 Jul 2017 at 9:35pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 1:24am
I haven't and probably won't understand why that happens. On occasion when I'm dialing in mem and tweaking v's I see the same thing here.

Only not to the extent and swing you are there. I have, w/o tooting my own horn, an excellently well ventilated case and water cooled 1500X.

ThermalTake Core X9 Case
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002562
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133275

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic