ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

UNderwhelming OC on Gaming X UEFI 3.0 + 1700x

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morbidity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UNderwhelming OC on Gaming X UEFI 3.0 + 1700x
    Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 1:47am
I am trying to find the limiting reagent in my build.  I have tried OC'ing this CPU, and I am getting very lackluster results thus far.  

I currently need 1.3v just to hit 3.7GHz, and getting 3.9GHz is looking to require 1.4v, if not more.  I can't even properly test it, because my current Wrath cooler isn't up to that task. 

Is there anyone else with this board that confirm these numbers, or did I get one of the worst 1700x's in existence?  I am hoping it's a bios issue, but I am not going to downgrade the uefi just to check.   I will do more testing when I get my cryorig h7 Quad lumi.   Temps using the wrath are hitting 80c, and that is too high for my taste, as I would prefer to stay around 70 for benchmarking.

If I don't get 3.9GHz, I am sending something back.... lol

Edited by Morbidity - 19 Jul 2017 at 2:01am
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 2:19am
Well that wouldn't be very honest of you, and that's about how most 1700 series CPUs behave.

You realize overclocks are not guaranteed. 

My 1700 hits 3.85 (max stable) with 1.34v.

Between 3.7-3.9 isn't much of a difference, so if you're going to return a CPU for that, then that's very dishonest of you, as it's not defective.

Just sell it, and grab another one.  I doubt you'd be able to return it without some kind of restocking fee.  These fees exist, because of people like you.

Edit:  You will not be able to keep it under 70 degrees celsius using the provided cooler unless you stay stock.  You're asking a lot out of a stock setup.  Very unrealistic expectations. 

Edit2: Actually I'd say your post is more of a troll post, and doesn't add any value to anyone's experiences on this forum.

Edited by ShampooCA - 19 Jul 2017 at 2:21am
Morbidity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morbidity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 2:26am
Originally posted by ShampooCA ShampooCA wrote:

Well that wouldn't be very honest of you, and that's about how most 1700 series CPUs behave.

You realize overclocks are not guaranteed. 

My 1700 hits 3.85 (max stable) with 1.34v.

Between 3.7-3.9 isn't much of a difference, so if you're going to return a CPU for that, then that's very dishonest of you, as it's not defective.

Just sell it, and grab another one.  I doubt you'd be able to return it without some kind of restocking fee.  These fees exist, because of people like you.

Edit:  You will not be able to keep it under 70 degrees celsius using the provided cooler unless you stay stock.  You're asking a lot out of a stock setup.  Very unrealistic expectations. 

Edit2: Actually I'd say your post is more of a troll post, and doesn't add any value to anyone's experiences on this forum.

You can easily hit under 70C with the stock cooler, if you can get a decent undervolt on it.   Something in my setup isn't enabling that to happen.  Either it is the board, bios, or the CPU.  My guess is the CPU is a dud.

It's not dishonest.  It's a lackluster CPU, so the next person that picks up my open box will be getting a fair price, unlike me.  Also, I am pretty sure this CPU came with a 30 day refund.    I would be willing to pay $20 restocking fee to try again.

I am not sure how anything posted here could be conveyed as a troll post.

Edited by Morbidity - 19 Jul 2017 at 2:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic