ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x299 and thunderbolt 3 AIC issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remiscs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x299 and thunderbolt 3 AIC issue
    Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 3:04pm
Hello,

I have purchased the Asrock x299 professional gaming i9 and also purchased the Asrock Thunderbolt 3 AIC. I am on BIOS P1.2 and when I enable thunderbolt in the BIOS and exit BIOS I get no GPU output from my video card. I do not even see the POST screen. The only way to get video output back is to use the clear CMOS button on the rear I/O.

The video card is a basic MSI GT730 since this is an audio workstation and I do not need a higher end GPU. The video card is not going into the thunderbolt card. I only need the thunderbolt card for data not video. There are no exterior devices plugged into the thunderbolt card at time of issue. The thunderbolt card is in the bottom pcie x16 slot and the cable is plugged into the thunderbolt port on the motherboard.

I am suspicious of this being a BIOS bug. The system works perfectly fine otherwise. Please help! A support ticket was already made. I called the USA tech support and they asked me to resubmit my request under the motherboard serial number and not the thunderbolt one. They said they would pass it to engineering at HQ but could not provide any updates. This is a high end workstation that I need to ship out so time is critical.

Thanks,
Anthony
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by remiscs remiscs wrote:

Hello,

I have purchased the Asrock x299 professional gaming i9 and also purchased the Asrock Thunderbolt 3 AIC. I am on BIOS P1.2 and when I enable thunderbolt in the BIOS and exit BIOS I get no GPU output from my video card. I do not even see the POST screen. The only way to get video output back is to use the clear CMOS button on the rear I/O.

The video card is a basic MSI GT730 since this is an audio workstation and I do not need a higher end GPU. The video card is not going into the thunderbolt card. I only need the thunderbolt card for data not video. There are no exterior devices plugged into the thunderbolt card at time of issue. The thunderbolt card is in the bottom pcie x16 slot and the cable is plugged into the thunderbolt port on the motherboard.

I am suspicious of this being a BIOS bug. The system works perfectly fine otherwise. Please help! A support ticket was already made. I called the USA tech support and they asked me to resubmit my request under the motherboard serial number and not the thunderbolt one. They said they would pass it to engineering at HQ but could not provide any updates. This is a high end workstation that I need to ship out so time is critical.

Thanks,
Anthony

Just going through basic things here, and some questions:

What OS or version of Windows are you using?

What processor are you using with this system? That is critical information.

Which PCIe slot is the video card in, and which PCIe slot is the Thunderbolt card in?

I assume the Thunderbolt five pin cable that connects between the mother board and Thunderbolt card is connected?

You don't have the Thunderbolt card connected to the MSI 730 video card, and I believe you can't due to the lack of a DisplayPort input. I'm not an expert on this, but according to the manual for the Thunderbolt card, connecting the DisplayPort output on a video card or onboard graphics output is a basic step.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.asp?Model=Thunderbolt%203%20AIC#Manual
remiscs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remiscs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 4:20am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by remiscs remiscs wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,
Anthony

Just going through basic things here, and some questions:

What OS or version of Windows are you using?

What processor are you using with this system? That is critical information.

Which PCIe slot is the video card in, and which PCIe slot is the Thunderbolt card in?

I assume the Thunderbolt five pin cable that connects between the mother board and Thunderbolt card is connected?

You don't have the Thunderbolt card connected to the MSI 730 video card, and I believe you can't due to the lack of a DisplayPort input. I'm not an expert on this, but according to the manual for the Thunderbolt card, connecting the DisplayPort output on a video card or onboard graphics output is a basic step.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.asp?Model=Thunderbolt%203%20AIC#Manual

Hello,

1: Windows 10 PRO
2: 7900x stock no overclocking with noctua u14s
3: Video card in the top x16 slot and TB3 AIC in the bottom pcie x16 slot
4: yes, the 5 pin harness is plugged into the mobo and AIC.
5: Correct, the gpu has no DP but I do not need video out. I looked into this before purchasing and it seems it is not a necessity of Thunderbolt to have the gpu plugged in. Since thunderbolt can support video over its cable, if someone needed to run a thunderbolt monitor then they would need their GPU connected to the card. It is for thunderbolt capable monitors.

Yeah without exchanging either the motherboard or thunderbolt card I dont really have much else to try. The bottom x16 slot is a x4 slot electrically so I should be ok there.

Im going to try is in pcie x16 slot 2 and see if anything changes, It would not be the best location for me to use it there but I will report if that helps.
remiscs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remiscs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 4:44am
Ok quick update, I moved the TB3 AIC card to PCIe slot 2 (one below the top slot with the video card) and now thunderbolt does work.

Now I need to see if that bottom slot is dead. It is an electrical x8 slot so I would think it is a CPU pcie slot and not chipset.

My thoughts on why the TB3 card did not work in that slot:
1: BIOS bug
2: Dead pcie slot
3: x8 slot is going to the chipset and the chipset cant hanfle the TB3 card?

ANy thoughts or comments will be great. I now need to dig up a sound card or something so I can test that slot with the gpu and tb3 card still installed. Being it is a 7900x all the slots should be working.

deckard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deckard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 9:19am
i'll be getting the Asrock taichi x299 motherboard with the 7900x cpu and MSI gaming x 1080 Ti

I was wondering if you got your answers or could share any more knowledge.

I would like to have my setup run the thunderbolt 3 mainly as data and perhaps video.

Thanks
remiscs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remiscs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by deckard deckard wrote:

i'll be getting the Asrock taichi x299 motherboard with the 7900x cpu and MSI gaming x 1080 Ti

I was wondering if you got your answers or could share any more knowledge.

I would like to have my setup run the thunderbolt 3 mainly as data and perhaps video.

Thanks

Hello,

Basically Asrock confirmed that it only works in the PCIE slot 2 position. It is a hardware limitation they said so no BIOS updates to make it work on other slots. Bummer but it worked out ok in the end. The post I made above yours has some info on it as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic