ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B350 Fatality second m.2 slot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micktalian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B350 Fatality second m.2 slot
    Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 9:46pm
Iv got my B350 Fatal1ty board and so far im real happy with it, aside from a not very beginner friendly uefi, but i am confused by the second m.2 slot configuration. Iv been seeing several reviewers use nvme SSDs to test that second slot and are getting essentially nvme PCIe 2 x4 level results AND i believe there it even says somewhere in the spec sheet that the slot is capable of 20gb/s which leads to believe is essentially a PCIe 2 x4 slot. Essentially what I want to know is would I be able to plug *any* nvme SSD in that second m.2 slot and have it work? And more importantly can i boot from that drive? Also, as a side question, would I potentially be able to run both SSDs in RAID, assuming i got them both to function properly?
I feel pretty comfortable with my understanding of the Ultra m.2 slot and how it is essentially double wired to the the lower PCIe 3 x"16" slot and will only really register with nvme SSDs and is bootable from that nvme SSD. But if Ive been wrong at any point please feel free to correct me. I just want some clearified information and maybe help someone else with the same question.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Micktalian Micktalian wrote:

Iv got my B350 Fatal1ty board and so far im real happy with it, aside from a not very beginner friendly uefi, but i am confused by the second m.2 slot configuration. Iv been seeing several reviewers use nvme SSDs to test that second slot and are getting essentially nvme PCIe 2 x4 level results AND i believe there it even says somewhere in the spec sheet that the slot is capable of 20gb/s which leads to believe is essentially a PCIe 2 x4 slot. Essentially what I want to know is would I be able to plug *any* nvme SSD in that second m.2 slot and have it work? And more importantly can i boot from that drive? Also, as a side question, would I potentially be able to run both SSDs in RAID, assuming i got them both to function properly?
I feel pretty comfortable with my understanding of the Ultra m.2 slot and how it is essentially double wired to the the lower PCIe 3 x"16" slot and will only really register with nvme SSDs and is bootable from that nvme SSD. But if Ive been wrong at any point please feel free to correct me. I just want some clearified information and maybe help someone else with the same question.

First, there are two ASRock Fatal1ty B350 boards, the Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4, and the Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac. Since you said your board has two M.2 slots, it should be the Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4.

From the specs of the Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4:

1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Ryzen Series CPU) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with A-Series APU)**

1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20AB350%20Gaming%20K4/index.asp#Specification

So the second M2_2 slot only supports SATA type M.2 SSDs, not NVMe SSDs. I don't have this board and can only go by the specs, but I'd be curious to see a review that was able to use an NVMe SSD in the M2_2 slot. You could boot an OS from a SATA M.2 SSD in this slot.

You may be confused about that due to the specs for the M2_1 slot. The bandwidth of the M2_1 slot varies depending upon the model of Ryzen CPU being used. Ryzen A-Series APUs only limit the M2_1 slot to PCIe 3.0 x2.

You can boot an OS from an NVMe SSD in the M2_1 slot.

Currently, AMD does not provide any RAID support for NVMe SSDs. At this time, that is only a feature provided by Intel and is not something a mother board manufacture can add to a board.
Micktalian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micktalian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 11:27pm
I should have probably given more details but yes you are correct, I am using the K4. The reason I asked if an nvme drive would work in the second slot is its stuck in my head that i read somewhere the M2_2 slot was rated at 20Gb/s. I want to know if I could plug in a larger, yet slower NVMe drive into that M2_2 slot. My 960, that is currently in the M2_1, would fully saturate that connection (assuming it is 20Gb/s) and is currently running at 3,000MBps in the M2_2. Btw I am using a Ryzen 1700 @ 3.9ghz and 16gb of corsair at 3000mhz

Edited by Micktalian - 12 Sep 2017 at 11:27pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 12:06am

I should have probably given more details but yes you are correct, I am using the K4. The reason I asked if an nvme drive would work in the second slot is its stuck in my head that i read somewhere the M2_2 slot was rated at 20Gb/s. I want to know if I could plug in a larger, yet slower NVMe drive into that M2_2 slot. My 960, that is currently in the M2_1, would fully saturate that connection (assuming it is 20Gb/s) and is currently running at 3,000MBps in the M2_2. Btw I am using a Ryzen 1700 @ 3.9ghz and 16gb of corsair at 3000mhz

Some ASRock AM4 boards have the M2_2 slot connected to the chipset, and have the PCIe 2.0 x4 interface at 20Gb/s. But your board's M2_2 slot is strictly for SATA M.2 SSDs, sorry to say.

I think you meant to say above, that your 960 is running a 3000MB/s in the M2_1 slot.

Micktalian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micktalian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:16am
Yes you are correct again lol. But now that we're on the topic, Samsung's magician software says "rapid mode is disabled" for my 960 evo in slot m2_1, what does that mean? There is also a VID 1022 warning type thing. I mean im content with the 3000GB/s but why not max it out if possible?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 4:12am

Yes you are correct again lol. But now that we're on the topic, Samsung's magician software says "rapid mode is disabled" for my 960 evo in slot m2_1, what does that mean? There is also a VID 1022 warning type thing. I mean im content with the 3000GB/s but why not max it out if possible?

samsung do not enable rapid mode for the nvme drives
rapid mode only works for sata drives
its written in the manuals mate
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic