ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi hot hot hot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitecrawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi hot hot hot
    Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 12:29pm
It all started last night.

My wifi adapter wasn't connecting, so I restarted to remedy the issue. Upon restart, I noticed my SATA hdd and Blu Ray drive weren't recognized. Booted to UEFI, no SATA drives there either.

Opened case to pull drives to test in different PC, hand slipped and touched the X370 chipset heatsink. Lava hot. Literally burnt my hand. Drives worked fine in other PC.

Waited for Taichi to cool over night. Started it up, drives found! Opened HWmonitor to check temps. Everything looks great for about 5 minutes, but then mainboard instantaneously jumps from 38C to 105C! Opened ASRock utility, says all temps are good. Restarted, SATA drives missing again until cool down.

Been running a 3.7ghz overclock with RAM at 2933mhz for almost 3 months without issue.

Hoping the new case and overboard cooling I ordered off Newegg solves my woes.

But I have to ask, is my board toast, or near future toast?

Edited by Whitecrawler - 23 Jul 2017 at 12:30pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Whitecrawler Whitecrawler wrote:

It all started last night.

My wifi adapter wasn't connecting, so I restarted to remedy the issue. Upon restart, I noticed my SATA hdd and Blu Ray drive weren't recognized. Booted to UEFI, no SATA drives there either.

Opened case to pull drives to test in different PC, hand slipped and touched the X370 chipset heatsink. Lava hot. Literally burnt my hand. Drives worked fine in other PC.

Waited for Taichi to cool over night. Started it up, drives found! Opened HWmonitor to check temps. Everything looks great for about 5 minutes, but then mainboard instantaneously jumps from 38C to 105C! Opened ASRock utility, says all temps are good. Restarted, SATA drives missing again until cool down.

Been running a 3.7ghz overclock with RAM at 2933mhz for almost 3 months without issue.

Hoping the new case and overboard cooling I ordered off Newegg solves my woes.

But I have to ask, is my board toast, or near future toast?

Weird, first post about something like this that I am aware of.

Some of the system's SATA ports are provided by the SOC portion of the CPU, but I don't know which ports are from the SOC and which are from the X370 chipset.

The extreme and fast jump from 38C to 105C, that has not been like that from day one, right?

If not, something has changed. Been working on that PC lately, and possibly something happened? Any chance something is causing a short circuit between say the back of the board and the case? What do your PSU voltages look like in a monitoring program, all at the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V levels they should be?

That is, unless a component on the board itself has failed, or soon to fail.

If it was my board, I would be inspecting inside the case and behind the board. Also trying new SATA data cables is a thought. But IMO attempting to cool the chipset heatsink is just treating a symptom rather than the problem.
Whitecrawler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitecrawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 9:29pm
The rapid temperature swing on mainboard is new. All other temperatures are stable. I haven't noticed any irregular voltages, aside from CPU voltage range +-1v (even at stock). I haven't made any alterations or done anything new to the PC since I built it in April.

As for which SATA pipes come out of the SoC, I'm not sure either. I was just more concerned that the SOC heat was causing board faults elsewhere or I was losing SATA just by proximity to the chip.

New case comes on Tuesday, as well as Noctua for the CPU and plenty of new 140mm fans. Will update then. If that doesn't provide desired results, a RMA might be my only option.
howardstern View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howardstern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 3:59am
I would reset the bios back to defaults and see if the issue goes back to normal with no overclock. 
Taichi
Ryzen 1800X @ 4G
EVGA GTX 1080
Corsair H100i AIO and full tower 780T
GSkill FlareX 3200
SB ZX
Windows 10
Whitecrawler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitecrawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 4:12am
I forgot to mention, but I did that already.

Going to try and borrow the Flur from work and upload a pic of this volcano just for fun.

Edited by Whitecrawler - 24 Jul 2017 at 4:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic