FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flashing bios

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flashing bios
    Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 7:11am
Originally posted by 4wheeldeal 4wheeldeal wrote:

Well I think this was 100% user error. I think I was using the z170a-x/3.1 vs the non 3.1. anyways thank you very much it is flashed cpu is going in after dinner!

Thanks for letting us know what the situation was, after all!

Even if two board models differ by very little, or even just an add on wireless adapter card, you must use the UEFI/BIOS version from your exact board model. Otherwise the UEFI update program will not allow the UEFI file for a different board to be applied. A safety feature that matters sometimes more than we know.

Not to worry, you aren't the first, or the last person that has done that by mistake.
4wheeldeal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4wheeldeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 5:41am
Well I think this was 100% user error. I think I was using the z170a-x/3.1 vs the non 3.1. anyways thank you very much it is flashed cpu is going in after dinner!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 3:12am
Use the 16GB USB flash drive, larger ones sometimes don't work in this situation. The USB flash drive must be formatted as FAT32, which is the default formatting. If you changed the formatting, it MUST be formatted as FAT32

Use the Instant Flash (NOT Internet Flash) option in the UEFI/BIOS, Tools section.

Download the 7.10 UEFI version for Instant Flash, from here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170A-X1/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

There is an instruction link in the line for the UEFI file download, in the How To Update column.

The file is a .zip file, that must be extracted for use in the UEFI update. Just left click on the file, choose Extract All, and copy the resulting Z17AX7.10 file to the root folder of the USB flash drive.

Put the USB flash drive in a USB 3.0 port on the board's IO panel.

Go into the UEFI/BIOS, and at first go to the Exit screen, and click on the Load UEFI Defaults option. Then click on Save and Exit the UEFI, and then go right back into the UEFI again, and go to the Tools screen and select Instant Flash. You should seen the UEFI file listed and be prompted to update or not.

Just let it run the UEFI update, it will take several minutes, don't disturb the PC while the update runs. If anything goes wrong, do NOT turn off the PC or remove the USB flash drive. Just press the Reset button and either the update will start over, or you will need to start it again yourself.

Let us know if anything goes wrong, and if so please keep an eye on what happens so you can describe that to us.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4wheeldeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 2:26am
fantastic, ok z170a-x1 motherboard. The current usb I'm using is 64 gig. I have a 16 gig I tried a few days ago, which I'll try again. Also have a 2 gig which I need to flash and try.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 1:48am
Originally posted by 4wheeldeal 4wheeldeal wrote:

This is the second time I've had to update the bios, I'm currently updating it for a kabylake i5 7600k cpu. I've tried everything, intent flash in the bios, it finds the usb even shows the file in the search butdoesn'tt do anything. I've tried internet flash, nope says connection error even though it see the lastest update and asked me to update. Windows flash I can't figure out hoping to try that today. I'm about to just go get another mother board as I don't want to waste time with this bios stuff. Please help.

You should not have the problems you are experiencing, I have updated the UEFI/BIOS on my many ASRock boards many times without problems. We will figure this out for you.

But first, please tell us what ASRock mother board and CPU you have besides the i5-7600K.

Also, what size (capacity) is the USB flash drive you are using. Is the USB flash drive formatted in the standard FAT32? What USB port did you try using with Instant Flash?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4wheeldeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 1:28am
Update it says it cannt update bios through windows because of my OS which is win 10. Ok so thats a joke.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4wheeldeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 1:23am
This is the second time I've had to update the bios, I'm currently updating it for a kabylake i5 7600k cpu. I've tried everything, intent flash in the bios, it finds the usb even shows the file in the search butdoesn'tt do anything. I've tried internet flash, nope says connection error even though it see the lastest update and asked me to update. Windows flash I can't figure out hoping to try that today. I'm about to just go get another mother board as I don't want to waste time with this bios stuff. Please help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic