ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi X370 USB problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MojoRyzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi X370 USB problem
    Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 10:39am
Having an issue with one pair of the back usb 3.0 ports, I had  an external Blu-Ray burner connected to it and it worked fine for about a week then all of a sudden stopped working and sits there with a blue blinking light.  At first I though it was the drive, but then switched it to another port and it works fine now.
Now the 2 3.0 ports only work with 1.1 devices such as controllers keyboards and things but wont detect any 3.0 devices i have, they just sit there with a blinking light.  even when the computer is off.

Tried all the common troubleshooting stuff (reinstalling usb hubs etc).  Don't think its a windows 10 issue because the burner blinks and clicks even when the computer is off.(didn't before)

Just for clarification everything works on all other ports except these 2.

So are these ports just gone then? or what is going on?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by MojoRyzen MojoRyzen wrote:

Having an issue with one pair of the back usb 3.0 ports, I had  an external Blu-Ray burner connected to it and it worked fine for about a week then all of a sudden stopped working and sits there with a blue blinking light.  At first I though it was the drive, but then switched it to another port and it works fine now.
Now the 2 3.0 ports only work with 1.1 devices such as controllers keyboards and things but wont detect any 3.0 devices i have, they just sit there with a blinking light.  even when the computer is off.

Tried all the common troubleshooting stuff (reinstalling usb hubs etc).  Don't think its a windows 10 issue because the burner blinks and clicks even when the computer is off.(didn't before)

Just for clarification everything works on all other ports except these 2.

So are these ports just gone then? or what is going on?

Not that this really makes a difference, but which USB 3.0 ports were you originally using with the external BD burner, the two at the top of the IO panel by the CLR CMOS button, the two in the middle next to the network input, or the two at the bottom? This may be important later, but I'm sure you know which pair is bad.

You may have done this from what you described, but did you check the Device Manager entries for all the USB 3.0 ports? Do any show an error in their Properties?

You did not specify this about your BD burner, but was it connected to one or two of the USB 3.0 ports? Does it have one of the single cable into two USB connectors on one end arrangement? Does the BD burner get all of its power from the USB ports?

Just a guess, but given your description I think you have a power problem with the two failed/failing USB 3.0 ports. That is, the power connections provided on the USB 3.0 set of contacts (that are separate from the USB 2.0/1.1 set of data and power contacts), are no longer providing power to a device connected to those two ports. Which is why the BD burner does not work correctly, but seems partially alive. It may also use the power connections of the USB 2.0 connection in the USB 3.0 port.

A somewhat recent change in mother board construction is the use of fuses in the power rails of USB ports, particularly with the higher power delivery capability of USB 3.0. The fuses are tiny, surface mount parts that cannot be easily replaced without special tools, but protect the rest of the board from short circuits or over current draw from connected USB devices. Before the fuses were used, damage to the board itself occurred, rather than just the loss of power to the USB port.

So I'm building up to saying I think (again, a guess) the fuses on the USB 3.0 power rails to those ports have blown. If they did, why they did I don't know, since I don't have your PC in front of me to look at, or check how your BD burner works.

You could try to look for the blown fuses, but you would most likely need to remove the white cover over the IO panel area of the board, and use a magnifying glass and good light. If you had a voltmeter with fine probe tips, you might be able to check for +5V on the USB 3.0 power contacts. Search on "USB 3.0 pinout" for the location of the +5V and ground contacts.

Personally, assuming the fuses did blow, I would be concerned if the fuses in the other USB 3.0 ports would also fail. There should be no difference in the fuse rating for any of the USB 3.0 port's power. The power draw of the BD burner will not be the same when at idle or when reading or writing a disk. Writing likely uses the most power.

MojoRyzen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MojoRyzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 12:41pm
Thanks for the reply.  I think I may have messed them up by plugging in both connectors of the bd burner cable.  The manual says I only needed one connected.  Both are needed for usb 2.0.

Oh well at least There are plenty of ports on the motherboard.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 9:11pm

Thanks for the reply.  I think I may have messed them up by plugging in both connectors of the bd burner cable.  The manual says I only needed one connected.  Both are needed for usb 2.0.

Clap well 10/10 for honesty mate

most posts here end up with quotes like

'dam crap never buying again already broken ,should have bought brand x '
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

Clap well 10/10 for honesty mate

most posts here end up with quotes like

'dam crap never buying again already broken ,should have bought brand x '

Yes, thanks for that MojoRyzen, what datonyb said is so true all too often.

Plus I love your forum name, I'm old enough to get that reference. Thumbs Up

You are probably right about using both connectors with USB 3.0 ports. A real shame that happened, IMO the BD burner manufacture could have designed it better if that device can be that dangerous.
MojoRyzen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MojoRyzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 7:56am
Really not sure what happened, after reading up on the pioneer burner i have, you use both connectors if it doesnt get enough power with only 1.  Anyhow it seems to be working fine with the single 3.1 port but I think ill look for a 5v ac adapter for it just to be safe. (doesn't  come with one)

Just hope I dont lose any more ports.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic