ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi SpeedFan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 7:10pm
horay ,another ryzen system up and running Clap

and all seemed to go smoothly

about cable management........haha im a sparky and wire boards as part of my job, and to be fair im quite 'anal' how pretty the must look after wiring..................
would you think it when looking at my taichi system in this antec case ...........NO WAY SIR !LOL
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 5:08am
Well, I have another SSD or NVMe, or both to buy yet.
I have a bunch of HDDs to migrate from my old system.

I've tried Windows 7, and have that drive unwired at the moment because I'm back on Windows 10.

The side of the case is off and there is these huge 140mm fans spinning next to me and the only thing that I really hear is the quiet ticking and rattling of the HDD!

At the wall it's drawing ~42w with Google Chrome open and a few HW monitoring tools... impressive!

I'll have to get into voltages because defaults are usually safely over the top, and I reckon there is about 5 watts to save and a couple of °C to save there.

The PSU cables were really stiff and reluctant to move.  I just jerked the big 24-pin cable off a bit, and bent it to go through the slot next to the motherboard.  It's fine!

I think ASRock were a bit stingy on the SATA data cables, only 2 are angled, two are straight.  I'll have to buy a boat load of cables, with nice locking clips, I like those.

It's like little and large here at the moment.
I have a Raspberry Pi 3B running alongside.  That is very toasty in comparison, so much so, I am considering pitting inside the Fractal case!  They are amazing little machines for their size and price.  Tweakers heaven - and has made me want to put Linux on the Ryzen machine!
X370 TaiChi | 1700X P3.10 stock clocks | (2x 16GB) 32GB FlareX 2400MHz.
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 6:23pm
SpeedFan 4.52 certainly does work on the CPU fan.

Under the Advanced tab set the control type 'Value' to "Manual" this is for 'PWM 2 mode' for the main CPU header.
Using one of the "DO NOT USE!" methods works too, but there is a sort of odd loose spinning sound, probably conflicting with the motherboard control.

I had played with some settings in BIOS last night, and this morning set them back to default.
Advanced / AMD CBS / NB10 Common Options / Fan Control.
There was an option for hysteresis, which looked useful, but it's still likely linked to T-socket on my BIOS v2.20.

I can't recall what option I have the main H/W monitor tab set to, Standard I think, with a a minimum 30% duty.

SpeedFan is great for this task as it has hysteresis too, but is monitoring Tdie from the off.

As mentioned, OpenHardwareMonitor can control the speed of not only the motherboard but also the GPU - SpeedFan doesn't see the GPU fan.  Someone has written a script to take the HWO data and feed it back to the fan control.  Might be worth looking into that.
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 5:55am
Update:
I've been playing with SpeedFan 4.52
Note: It can only read the Motherboard, Graphics and HDD sensors.  The CPU, and thus the Tdie is not listed.  This means that the only CPU temp. reference you have is the T-socket temp. which we know is slow to reach to a heating up die.

To enable 3-pin fans to work, use Manual mode under Configure>Advanced and select the Nuvotron chip.

CPU_FAN1 is shown as PWM 2 mode: Manual
CHA_FAN2 is shown as PWM 5 mode: Manual

I don't know about the others, I haven't been playing around inside, but will probably when I get a new front intake fan (currently using the old 120mm Gigabyte 3-pin fan to _cough_ air at the HDDs).

There is an option in the UEFI to control a fan with hysteresis.  I think I may have to goof with that to see how it goes.

What we really want is fans following Tdie with hysteresis as well as case fans being able to reach to to other things.  I suppose that monitoring T-socket isn't so bad if you were just controlling the case fans.  The CPU fan being controlled by the motherboard and Tdie would be fine, whilst a warming up VRM, T-socket and anything else can drive the case fans up.

The counter argument to bothering to control fan speeds is holding quite well in my case though, as I have left the Fractal controller on medium speed and nothing is really getting warm.  I guess it depends, if you have a smaller case, with less airflow temps may jump higher and require more aggressive fan speed ups when doing anything.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic