ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock FM2A88M Extreme 4+ BIOS update Fail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galhinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock FM2A88M Extreme 4+ BIOS update Fail
    Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 8:19am
Hello,

I tried to update the BIOS from the "TOOL" menu, using the "Internet Flash" option, and everything went fine to 100% and rebooting. But after the reboot, the BIOS menu never showed again... It's all black, with the fans working, LED's working... Everything seems normal, except the software won't run.

I have tried clearing CMOS and removing the CMOS battery, while energy cable unplugged and still nothing. I have also tried removing all USB devices from the board, still nothing... I have a USB BOOT pen drive with the bios software to install, but I can't find a way to use it.

Please help.
Thank you!

Edited by Galhinni - 28 Jul 2017 at 12:27am
Galhinni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galhinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 12:12am
UPDATE:

I read some other posts with similar situations and tried some new solutions...

1 - Disconnecting Harddrives and using the USB pen drive with Instant Flash BIOS file (formatted FAT32, with file on root folder) on USB 3.0 port - didn't work
2 - Tried the same with Harddrives connected - didn't work
3 - Tried the same on USB 2.0 port - didn't work
4 - Tried removing RAM card from slot to force system to identify problem - nothing happened
5 - Tried RAM card on different slot - still nothing

Any other ideas for me to try?

Thank you!

Edited by Galhinni - 28 Jul 2017 at 1:16am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 2:21am
Just so I understand, you now get nothing shown at all on your monitor when you start the PC? The monitor is always just black?

You also cannot run Windows or whatever OS that you use?

What processor are you using?

Do you use a video card, or the AMD graphics in your CPU?

Galhinni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galhinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 8:03pm
Exactly... Just Black! No BIOS/UEFI, no Windows 10, nothing.
The fans and LEDs still work normally though.

Im using an AMD A10-5800K 4.2Ghz Black Edition, with onboard AMD Radeon HD 7660G 2Gb graphics.

Thank you!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 10:55pm
I don't know what happened during or after the Internet Flash update. Either something on the board or other component like the PSU failed exactly at that time, which is unlikely, or your UEFI/BIOS update was corrupted for some reason. I don't know if this applies to you, but you should not have any CPU or memory over clock applied when doing a BIOS update.

If the PC won't start right, and complete POST, all the things you tried to continue the BIOS update won't help, since you cannot get into the BIOS to start a BIOS update.

Unless you can find a component failure, I assume your BIOS was corrupted. You can try replacing the BIOS CMOS chip, which is located below the black chipset heat sink at the bottom of the board. The BIOS CMOS chip can be replaced without any soldering, as it is mounted in a socket and can be removed by hand or with a small screwdriver or other tool.

To contact ASRock about getting a new CMOS chip, go to your mother board's page on ASRock's website. Find the Support link at the very top of that page. Click on the Support link and then click on the Repair/RMA link and send an email to the address shown on that page, describing your problem.
Galhinni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galhinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 3:48am
I'm sure the PSU didn't fail, as it rebooted normally after 100% installation.
After digging deeper about the subject, I find the BIOS chip might be the cause, as you specified.
I'll try to replace that and get back with the results.

Thanks!
Galhinni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galhinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 6:01am
So, I received today a new BIOS CMOS Chip I ordered, with the latest BIOS Software for my motherboard already installed. After replacing the chip, the computer just started working normally again!

Thank you for your advice Parsec! You rock! Clap
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:50am
Great, glad to hear your PC is working normally again! Thumbs Up

Thanks for the update on your situation.

I would suggest using the Instant Flash method to update the UEFI/BIOS in the future, using a USB flash drive in a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel.

If you want to try Internet Flash again, be sure you have a USB flash drive in a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel before you start the Internet Flash update process. With the USB flash drive in the IO panel, Internet Flash will copy the UEFI/BIOS file to the flash drive as it is downloaded. If there is a problem, just restart the PC until the Instant Flash process starts by itself, detecting a recovery situation, and will use the UEFI/BIOS file on the flash drive. But if the PC is turned off with a corrupted update, the chip will need to be replaced.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic