ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

1600X OC stuck at 2.2Ghz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilo8914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1600X OC stuck at 2.2Ghz
    Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 10:30am
Hello,

I searched for this issue but didn't see anything posted; I apologize if it has been answered before.

I have a X370 Taichi and a 1600X. When I set a fixed vcore, voltage frequency in windows is locked at 2.2Ghz. This is not just a false reading - Cinebench scores are awful. I can only successfully overclock by using offsets OR by using a fixed vcore with the BCLK increased to 103+. Otherwise it's locked to 2.2 Ghz. I am using the Ryzen balanced power plan. I have tried the past three BIOS revisions and they all exhibit the same behavior.

Searching around the net, it appears that it has affected 1600X owners with other manufacturers' motherboards, so it's not just an ASRock issue. In the following link, a user had this issue but a bios update for their motherboard seems to have fixed it for them: https://community.amd.com/thread/215317

Overclocking with Ryzen Master works.

Does anyone else have this issue or know how I can fix it? Does it require a BIOS update to fix? Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by hilo8914 - 30 Jul 2017 at 1:50am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 11:42am
Originally posted by hilo8914 hilo8914 wrote:

Hello,

I searched for this issue but didn't see anything posted; I apologize if it has been answered before.

I have a X370 Taichi and a 1600X. When I set a fixed vcore, voltage in windows is locked at 2.2Ghz. This is not just a false reading - Cinebench scores are awful. I can only successfully overclock by using offsets OR by using a fixed vcore with the BCLK increased to 103+. Otherwise it's locked to 2.2 Ghz. I am using the Ryzen balanced power plan. I have tried the past three BIOS revisions and they all exhibit the same behavior.

Searching around the net, it appears that it has affected 1600X owners with other manufacturers' motherboards, so it's not just an ASRock issue. In the following link, a user had this issue but a bios update for their motherboard seems to have fixed it for them: https://community.amd.com/thread/215317

Does anyone else have this issue or know how I can fix it? Does it require a BIOS update to fix? Any help would be appreciated.

If you clear the UEFI/CMOS, or load the default values, and save and exit the UEFI, is your CPU speed 2.2GHz, or is it at the stock 3.6GHz?

Do you have Ryzen Master set to Auto-run when the PC boots? Same question for the ASRock A-Tuning utility?

You wrote, "When I set a fixed vcore, voltage in windows is locked at 2.2Ghz". I assume you mean the CPU/core frequency is locked at 2.2GHz.

Your board must have at least UEFI/BIOS version 2.00 for full Ryzen 5 processor compatibility. But it sounds like you have used versions beyon 2.00.

What are you using to monitor the CPU frequency?

You have not given us any information about how you are over clocking using the UEFI/BIOS, besides the type of VCore setting, and increasing the BCLK. You don't do anything using the core multipliers and the CPU Frequency and Voltage Change setting in the UEFI?

No mention of whether or not you use CnQ or C6.

The 2.2GHz CPU frequency is familiar to me, as it is one of the pre-defined P-State profiles, and one I have had active at times. Are you doing anything with P-State over clocking?

When you use Ryzen Master to OC, have you looked at the UEFI option settings to see what it is doing?

Do you have the Ryzen chipset drivers installed? If so, what version, from where?

Sorry but many variables involved here that cannot be ignored, and the more information given, the better.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 1:50pm
I have exactly the same board and CPU combo. I have not encountered this issue but I can say this, 2.2ghz is one of the power saving frequencies for this CPU. 

Clear CMOS and change only the voltage and frequency settings under OC tweaker. See if that works for you. 

Failing that, it could also be an OS issue. Windows has control over your CPU frequency for power saving, as I said earlier, 2.2ghz is one of the frequencies used. Change your power plan to performance and see if you are still locked to 2.2ghz. Also download and install the latest all in one driver from AMD.
hilo8914 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilo8914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 3:14am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by hilo8914 hilo8914 wrote:

Hello,

I have a X370 Taichi and a 1600X. When I set a fixed vcore, voltage in windows is locked at 2.2Ghz. This is not just a false reading - Cinebench scores are awful. I can only successfully overclock by using offsets OR by using a fixed vcore with the BCLK increased to 103+. Otherwise it's locked to 2.2 Ghz. I am using the Ryzen balanced power plan. I have tried the past three BIOS revisions and they all exhibit the same behavior.

If you clear the UEFI/CMOS, or load the default values, and save and exit the UEFI, is your CPU speed 2.2GHz, or is it at the stock 3.6GHz?

Do you have Ryzen Master set to Auto-run when the PC boots? Same question for the ASRock A-Tuning utility?

You wrote, "When I set a fixed vcore, voltage in windows is locked at 2.2Ghz". I assume you mean the CPU/core frequency is locked at 2.2GHz.

Your board must have at least UEFI/BIOS version 2.00 for full Ryzen 5 processor compatibility. But it sounds like you have used versions beyon 2.00.

What are you using to monitor the CPU frequency?

You have not given us any information about how you are over clocking using the UEFI/BIOS, besides the type of VCore setting, and increasing the BCLK. You don't do anything using the core multipliers and the CPU Frequency and Voltage Change setting in the UEFI?

No mention of whether or not you use CnQ or C6.

The 2.2GHz CPU frequency is familiar to me, as it is one of the pre-defined P-State profiles, and one I have had active at times. Are you doing anything with P-State over clocking?

When you use Ryzen Master to OC, have you looked at the UEFI option settings to see what it is doing?

Do you have the Ryzen chipset drivers installed? If so, what version, from where?

Sorry but many variables involved here that cannot be ignored, and the more information given, the better.

1. If I reset UEFI defaults, it returns to stock 3.6Ghz.
2. I'm not sure if Ryzen Master is set to auto run, but the behavior continued after I uninstalled RM. I don't have the ASRock tuning utility installed.
3. Yes, I meant frequency.
4. That is correct, I've used versions 3.00, 2.40, and 2.30.
5. I'm using HWiFO64
6. I'm using the fixed voltage setting under "Voltage Configuration" in the OC Tweaker menu. I'm not using P states. I'm setting frequency in "CPU Configuration" in the OC Tweaker menu.
7. The behavior is present regardless of what setting I have for CnQ or C6. Coreboost setting also has no effect.
8. I'm not using P-State overclocking. I even tried disable P2 (the P state with 2.2Ghz) and in windows, it's still locked to 2.2Ghz. If I do use P-state overclocking and forgo using fixed voltage, the processor is NOT locked to 2.2GHz.
9. I seem to remember using Ryzen Master successfully, but trying to replicate it now, it does not work. Still locked at 2.2Ghz.
10. I have version 17.10 installed, from AMDs website

I have done some more searching.. it appears that owners of the ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero have the same issue. If they revert to a BIOS version pre-AGESA 1004, the bug is gone. ASUS has just released a new bios that supposedly fixed the issue for them... https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94301-Ryzen-1600X-Owners-Overclocking-(The-2-2Ghz-Problem)/page8
hilo8914 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilo8914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 3:16am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I have exactly the same board and CPU combo. I have not encountered this issue but I can say this, 2.2ghz is one of the power saving frequencies for this CPU. 

Clear CMOS and change only the voltage and frequency settings under OC tweaker. See if that works for you. 

Failing that, it could also be an OS issue. Windows has control over your CPU frequency for power saving, as I said earlier, 2.2ghz is one of the frequencies used. Change your power plan to performance and see if you are still locked to 2.2ghz. Also download and install the latest all in one driver from AMD.

I have tried using the High performance power plan instead of Ryzen Balanced, and the behavior is still present.

Do you have windows 10?
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 1:26am
I've had this issue before, on a R7 1700. It just would not resolve until I did a full CMOS reset. By which I mean power down, remove power cord, remove CMOS battery and set the CMOS jumper to the "clear" position. Now press the power button 3-4 times (this discharges the capacitors) wait a few seconds, then power things up again. If its anything like my issue it will go away and you'll never hear from it again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic