ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Z87M OC Formula boot problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bogd4n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Z87M OC Formula boot problem
    Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 7:52pm
Hey guys,
I have a problem with my lovely Z87M OC Formula. It doesn't boot anymore. I keeps restarting itself. It doesn't even get to the POST. I tried both BIOSes, reset the BIOS (both of them), tried with other RAM sticks, without RAM, with/without video card, with/without 8 pin cpu power connector, tried a different PSU.
After I reset the the BIOS it shows me some codes on display but that's all.
I made a video also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPbiDk6SKl8

Can someone please tell me what to do? I am out of ideas...

Thanks.

Edited by Bogd4n - 06 Aug 2015 at 7:53pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 1:01am
Welcome to the forums. 

I would try a battery CMOS clear, remove the battery and power from the system then push the power button and hold it for ~10 seconds and leave the system like this for 4 hours. I have seen new boards retain their settings for up to 3 hours with this method so 4 is the minimum I recommend. It looks like you have some corrupt bios settings at first glance. I get similar problems when I set a bad OC on my Z97 Extreme3. The only way I have found to fix it is the battery removal trick.

If that does not help then post back and we can go through more troubleshooting steps to see where the problem is.
Bogd4n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bogd4n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Welcome to the forums. 

I would try a battery CMOS clear, remove the battery and power from the system then push the power button and hold it for ~10 seconds and leave the system like this for 4 hours. I have seen new boards retain their settings for up to 3 hours with this method so 4 is the minimum I recommend. It looks like you have some corrupt bios settings at first glance. I get similar problems when I set a bad OC on my Z97 Extreme3. The only way I have found to fix it is the battery removal trick.

If that does not help then post back and we can go through more troubleshooting steps to see where the problem is.

Thank you for your advice. I did what you said to me. The mainboard booted but, I am not sure if it works properly. After shut down I had to clear cmos again (using the the button on the back panel). This morning booted properly.

Also, with B BIOS I get code 00 and obviously it doesn't boot. Maybe on bios B there is an older BIOS version that does not support Pentium G3258?
Should I try to flash 1.90 BIOS?
Bogd4n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bogd4n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 5:09pm
Well, the problem appeared again. I clear cmos, take out battery for more than 4 hour and nothing. It boots, the display is showing some codes and last one that I am seeing is d7. After that the mainboards reboots itself every 2 seconds. 
Can someone directs me to Asrock RMA? (email address, phone number?).

Thanks.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 12:41am
POST code d7 is the keyboard and mouse cannot be recognized. If you have another keyboard and mouse, that would be a simple test and worth trying.

The backup BIOS probably does not support a G3258. But you cannot update the backup BIOS.

Did you try disconnecting all of your HDDs, and see if you can POST and get into the BIOS?

The ASRock RMA page is here: http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=RMA

Bogd4n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bogd4n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

POST code d7 is the keyboard and mouse cannot be recognized. If you have another keyboard and mouse, that would be a simple test and worth trying.

The backup BIOS probably does not support a G3258. But you cannot update the backup BIOS.

Did you try disconnecting all of your HDDs, and see if you can POST and get into the BIOS?

The ASRock RMA page is here: http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=RMA

Yes, allready did those things.  Still, the same problem. 
ixi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ixi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 12:06am
Late response, but just happened to me . I had exactly the same problem. Only when I  powered  on PC there was red LED for CPU. I switched to second bios, same. Then I removed from MOBO USB 3.0, 2.0 connectors.  Worked on second BIOS. But then debugger did throw code which said that there is mouse or keyboard, yes because I didnt have connected any device.  I did add mouse, keyboard. Copyed Bios2 to Bios1, switched to BIOS1 everything was working. After that did put back on MOBO USB 2.0, 3.0 ports. Then I did put PC back in place, pressed power button BAM, same thing. Then I removed USB 2.0 and 3.0 from MOBO, working. Added back USB 2.0 working, added USB 3.0 working ( While I was doing this I was holding PC on my leg ). Then turned it off, did put it back in place, bam. Again not working. Then I did remove USB 2.0 and it's working. I'm just guessing that it is USB pin problem, hard to tell... Sadly this happened after there was electricity loss
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by ixi ixi wrote:

Late response, but just happened to me . I had exactly the same problem. Only when I  powered  on PC there was red LED for CPU. I switched to second bios, same. Then I removed from MOBO USB 3.0, 2.0 connectors.  Worked on second BIOS. But then debugger did throw code which said that there is mouse or keyboard, yes because I didnt have connected any device.  I did add mouse, keyboard. Copyed Bios2 to Bios1, switched to BIOS1 everything was working. After that did put back on MOBO USB 2.0, 3.0 ports. Then I did put PC back in place, pressed power button BAM, same thing. Then I removed USB 2.0 and 3.0 from MOBO, working. Added back USB 2.0 working, added USB 3.0 working ( While I was doing this I was holding PC on my leg ). Then turned it off, did put it back in place, bam. Again not working. Then I did remove USB 2.0 and it's working. I'm just guessing that it is USB pin problem, hard to tell... Sadly this happened after there was electricity loss

Are you saying that when you removed the USB 2.0 cable for the USB 2.0 ports on your PC case from the mother board, the problem does not happen?

If that is right, the problem could be with the USB 2.0 connections or cable on the PC case.

You did say this problem did not start until after a power loss, so the board could be damaged, and the cable from the PC case is not the problem.

You could do a test if you had a USB 2.0 port adapter bracket that fits in a PCIe slot on a PC case. If you connected that to the USB 2.0 mother board header and if the board started fine, then the problem is probably the USB 2.0 connections in the PC case.

Your board has two USB 2.0 headers on the bottom of the board. Do both of them not work when connected to the PC case USB 2.0 cable?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic