ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Pro4 Ultra Fast Boot and UEFI resolution

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeUp77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 Pro4 Ultra Fast Boot and UEFI resolution
    Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 9:17pm
Hello!
Initially I found UEFI screen resolution bug: when UEFI Full HD option set to auto, it brings me to 1024x768 screen resolution instead of 1080p (my display support it by defaults), and when I tried to enable Ultra Fast boot option, resolution of UEFI changed automatically to 1080p as it should be initially, but all my boot disks disapear (system on m.2 PCIe ssd) and computer boots only to UEFI. Turning off UF Boot bring my boot disk back, also with smaller screen resolution at UEFI.
I have captured video, it should clarify the problem. https://cloud.mail.ru/public/DZrw/TsaxM1vJV

Is UltraFast Boot compatible with m.2 disks or it should be used only with 1-2 SATA ports?

Edited by WakeUp77 - 01 Aug 2017 at 9:39pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by WakeUp77 WakeUp77 wrote:

Hello!
Initially I found UEFI screen resolution bug: when UEFI Full HD option set to auto, it brings me to 1024x768 screen resolution instead of 1080p (my display support it by defaults), and when I tried to enable Ultra Fast boot option, resolution of UEFI changed automatically to 1080p as it should be initially, but all my boot disks disapear (system on m.2 PCIe ssd) and computer boots only to UEFI. Turning off UF Boot bring my boot disk back, also with smaller screen resolution at UEFI.
I have captured video, it should clarify the problem. https://cloud.mail.ru/public/DZrw/TsaxM1vJV

Is UltraFast Boot compatible with m.2 disks or it should be used only with 1-2 SATA ports?

The Ultra Fast boot setting of the Fast Boot option is compatible with both SATA and NVMe PCIe/M.2 SSDs.

But you must install your OS in UEFI booting mode in order to use the Ultra Fast setting. With Windows the OS drive will be GPT partitioned, and have an EFI System partition so it uses the EFI boot loader. The Ultra Fast setting requires UEFI booting.

So when you try to use the Ultra Fast setting, you can only UEFI boot. That is explained in the help text of the Fast Boot option in the UEFI/BIOS.

If your OS installation is MBR "Legacy" booting, and you use an M.2 PCIe SSD, my guess is you are using a Samsung 950 Pro or SM951, either the AHCI or NVMe models, which support MBR booting. Not all NVMe SSDs support UEFI booting. That explains why the boot disks are not listed in the boot order, they must have Legacy MBR booting OS installations.

The Full HD UEFI feature works with the majority of PC monitors, but recently we have seen reports of a few monitors that for some reason stay at the lower resolution in the UEFI/BIOS. What model of monitor are you using, and what model video card do you use?
WakeUp77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeUp77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The Full HD UEFI feature works with the majority of PC monitors, but recently we have seen reports of a few monitors that for some reason stay at the lower resolution in the UEFI/BIOS. What model of monitor are you using, and what model video card do you use?
Monitor is Samsung C27F390FHI, Video card is Palit GTX1070 SuperJetstream (NE51070S15P2).
Intresting thing, that in UFB mode its detecting my 1080p resolution correctly :)

Regarding the UFB, I most likely installed Win10 on a standard formatted partition during the installation (and my system disk is Samsung 960 EVO m.2 ssd), didn't specifically choose the GPT, there is a chance that it was MBR by the defaults. I just ended tuning all my windows programs and tweaks, so I will experiment with this only when I may need to reinstall it again. Thank you!

Edited by WakeUp77 - 01 Aug 2017 at 11:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic