ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

asrock h81 pro btc - 6th gpu problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csf707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: asrock h81 pro btc - 6th gpu problem
    Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 7:42am
I'm having issues booting with 6 gpus, any guidance in this area? Boots no problem with 5 but as soon as I add the 6th, it goes in a boot loop error problems starting windows 10.

I tried using Gen1 & Gen2 in bios without success. They are all on PCIe risers, powered by their own molex cables for each lane. And mobo's 2 molex connectors are also plugged in.

Edited by csf707 - 08 Aug 2017 at 8:38am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 9:10am
Originally posted by csf707 csf707 wrote:

I'm having issues booting with 6 gpus, any guidance in this area? Boots no problem with 5 but as soon as I add the 6th, it goes in a boot loop error problems starting windows 10.

I tried using Gen1 & Gen2 in bios without success. They are all on PCIe risers, powered by their own molex cables for each lane. And mobo's 2 molex connectors are also plugged in.

Most likely its the usual out of reserved memory problem when using many video cards.

Windows reserves some of the DRAM memory for hardware use, but only a certain amount is set aside. Once all that reserved memory is used, there is no more room for another device, and either Windows does not boot or it does boot but the device will not work. The amount used depends on the video cards you use, some use more than others.

You can check that when you have five cards connected, boot Windows and go into Resource Monitor, and see how much is Hardware Reserved in the Memory tab.

Check in the Chipset Configuration screen in the BIOS, if you have an option called "IOMMU...". If you do set it to enabled. That option can increase the amount of reserved memory for hardware.

How much memory do you have in that PC, and are you using the 64bit version of Windows 10?

csf707 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csf707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 9:34am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by csf707 csf707 wrote:

Most likely its the usual out of reserved memory problem when using many video cards.

Windows reserves some of the DRAM memory for hardware use, but only a certain amount is set aside. Once all that reserved memory is used, there is no more room for another device, and either Windows does not boot or it does boot but the device will not work. The amount used depends on the video cards you use, some use more than others.

You can check that when you have five cards connected, boot Windows and go into Resource Monitor, and see how much is Hardware Reserved in the Memory tab.

Check in the Chipset Configuration screen in the BIOS, if you have an option called "IOMMU...". If you do set it to enabled. That option can increase the amount of reserved memory for hardware.

How much memory do you have in that PC, and are you using the 64bit version of Windows 10?

I'll need to check for that IOMMU
Win10 64bit yes

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic