ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

990fx extreme9 VRM temperature

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixsetup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 5:41am
Hi Taynak I have heard of other people on the net having the VRM  problem and they all said my options were to get a small fan and connect it to the heatsink or a spot cool.  My system is in the Thermaltake core P5 completely open and my VRM1 still gets high temperatures.  Everything else stays nice and cool.  I like the idea of the Fujipoly thermal pads as zlobster said.  I ordered some so I hope they will work and if I am lucky ditch the Spot Cool.

Edited by mixsetup - 16 Jan 2018 at 6:30am
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 4:12am
The pads will definitely work (if they are not counterfeit, at leastLOL). And by work I mean they will quickly transfer the heat from the VRM to the heatsinks.

Running in an open chassis with a 'stale' air around the heated elements will always give you high temps, well, higher that usual at least. Problem is VRM and their heatsinks rely on the exhaust fan and air circulation to achieve optimal cooling. They were never engineered to run w/o fan in fist place.

Many water-cooling guys have stumbled upon this phenomenon. They ditch all fans from their PC chassis (it's cleaner and quieter, I give you that) only to see their VRM overheating.

Also, I too don't consider your VRM temps to be too high for prolonged use.

1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
mixsetup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixsetup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 8:11am
yeah mine is a custom WC loop.  I might see if I can find a better way to mount some fans to give airflow across the motherboard.
Taynak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taynak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by kerberos_20 kerberos_20 wrote:

70degree should be fine
vrms are mostly rated at 75-120degree without burning (am too lazy to check on google which caps u have)
but i guess your vrm should handle ~100degree as some quick google search says so with aio cpu cooler

That's what I thought. But it litterally freezes up on GTA. And i can still see the screen with all my monitoring software going... and the only thing i see wrong is the VRM1 86+ Celsius. 

I think i may have figured out what my issue is though... I think that my case is just a clogged up mess of cables and stuff... i didn't know where the VRM1 was located, and after finding out where it was, i realized that my radiator was right above it. no wonder it was overheating... no airflow... and nowhere else to put the bulkey radiator. I was looking at other options online for cooling and a video about fridge cooling came up and i watched it and found out it was crap, then a video on air conditioner cases... that led me to another case called the Corsair Air 540.. http://www.frys.com/product/7733388

This thing is a beast... but it has good airflow for the monster card i have in my tower... and i can route my radiator to another location other than right over the top of my VRM1... will update after new case.

Originally posted by zlobster zlobster wrote:

My 2 cents, you could also change the thermal pads or TIM of your VRMs.

Decent Fujipoly thermal pads with huge thermal conductivity will definitely drop the temps considerably. Only drawback is that decent thermal pads are very expensive. Like 50,- EUR for a single strip expensive.

I had to look up what you were talking about but, from what i found they are for smaller chips that don't normally have a heatsink. and i found sheets of it for like $5 on newegg and amazon. If i do anything to the heatsink, i would want to replace it with something that would be more effecient, right?
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Taynak Taynak wrote:

I had to look up what you were talking about but, from what i found they are for smaller chips that don't normally have a heatsink.

Sorry, but that is pure BS. These strips are in essence, a TIM - thermal INTERFACE material, i.e. they combat the otherwise poor heat transfer of the air. If they terminate directly to the air, it's useless. They do zilch without a proper heatsink attached.

Originally posted by Taynak Taynak wrote:

and i found sheets of it for like $5 on newegg and amazon. If i do anything to the heatsink, i would want to replace it with something that would be more effecient, right?

$5 means most likely a counterfeit or a regular W/mK, just as any other simple TIM strip. 17W/mK and above are expensive for a reason!

As with everything in PC building, you're not upgrading, you're moving the bottleneck somewhere else! With good strips VRM can now transfer all their heat to the heatsink. If something, the bottleneck is now with the heatsink itself. Even some minor airflow should improve the situation now.

1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
Taynak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taynak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by zlobster zlobster wrote:

$5 means most likely a counterfeit or a regular W/mK, just as any other simple TIM strip. 17W/mK and above are expensive for a reason!

As with everything in PC building, you're not upgrading, you're moving the bottleneck somewhere else! With good strips VRM can now transfer all their heat to the heatsink. If something, the bottleneck is now with the heatsink itself. Even some minor airflow should improve the situation now.

I can't really find anthing that shows as that expensive on google... and the website i found for their company didn't have any prices or words on the screen that i understood. I understand what you mean by i move the bottleneck around... i realized that when i started figuring out the VRM1 problem. By cramped, in my computer, i mean that there is cords and sh*t everywhere... i never had a problem with an open air case prior to this and it had never crossed my mind that i needed a case for proper air flow... but i picked up the Corsair Carbide Air 540 today and i am about to shut my computer down to do the transplant. so... I will let you know... I just don't understand why my computer hangs up at VRM1 getting to 86c if not for heat... I am also not sure on whether that is a setting or not that i can change...
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 8:19pm
Hmm, prices of the good stuff dropped a bit, compared to the last time I was shopping for these. Check these out:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17499/thr-181/Fujipoly_Ultra_Extreme_System_Builder_Thermal_Pad_-_60_x_50_x_05_-_Thermal_Conductivity_170_WmK.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00MQ6AJU2/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

VRM can withstand the extreme heat in most cases. 990FX platform is known for its stock 140W CPUs, so even the crappiest engineer would beef up the VRM.

Your PC crashing may be not due to VRM overheating. I have a wild theory - VRM getting hot and no air circulation in that area means other mobo components are also getting pretty hot. Odd as it may seem, even a bad solder joint could be breaking contact if PCB or the copper traces expand whend heated. Other electrical components are also very sensitive to heat, resistors, capacitors, ICs - it may be the case where VRM are giving the poor surrounding elements more heat than the latter can handle. That alas is called bad design. Tougher components are more expensive.

Modern PC are extremely sophisticated electrical machines. Even the slightest electrical anomaly in their critical circuity (caused by heat in your case) will disturb the Zen of their inner workings, and ultimately lead to a hang/crash.

If interested - my Taichi's VRM are getting ~68C under stress. That's high for my non-OC CPU but it's because of the airflow I arranged (deliberately) in my chassis. I use Fractal Define G, my rear and top fans are SUCKING air (instead of blowing it out). Together with my front 2x140mm Noctuas (on CRSR h115i) blasting out I achieve good positive air pressure in the case, and good airflow as well. This setup however creates a whirlwinds over my VRM and it reduces their cooling.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic