ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Issues with the AB350M

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixelectric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Issues with the AB350M
    Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 2:43am
I'm having a few issues with the AB350M board.
* First, the RGB module is stuck on the last pattern I used "Random", disabling/changing it in the BIOS or the RGB software does not do anything. I haven't tried to clear the bios yet.
* Second, overclocking to any safe frequency or voltage causes crashes on anything I do (stress testing, playing games) while SMT mode is enabled, if I disable SMT mode it won't crash.

And then not really a board issue, but the app shop software worked fine for the first few days, but then it stopped working saying "Abnormal program termination", reinstalling the software results in the same error.

A little bit on my setup:
* AB350M board, (chosen cause I had ASRock in the past, and I didn't need SLI/Crossfire)
* AMD Ryzen 5 1600
* G.SKILL Ripjaws V 2800 (single 8gb chip)
* Windows 10 on a regular HDD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:37am
Originally posted by pixelectric pixelectric wrote:

I'm having a few issues with the AB350M board.
* First, the RGB module is stuck on the last pattern I used "Random", disabling/changing it in the BIOS or the RGB software does not do anything. I haven't tried to clear the bios yet.
* Second, overclocking to any safe frequency or voltage causes crashes on anything I do (stress testing, playing games) while SMT mode is enabled, if I disable SMT mode it won't crash.

And then not really a board issue, but the app shop software worked fine for the first few days, but then it stopped working saying "Abnormal program termination", reinstalling the software results in the same error.

A little bit on my setup:
* AB350M board, (chosen cause I had ASRock in the past, and I didn't need SLI/Crossfire)
* AMD Ryzen 5 1600
* G.SKILL Ripjaws V 2800 (single 8gb chip)
* Windows 10 on a regular HDD

Sorry but a rather vague and general descriptions of your situation, where details matter.

First, what UEFI/BIOS version are you using? You need at least version 2.00 to fully support a Ryzen 5 processor.

What CPU cooler are you using? What is your Tdie temperature at idle and maximum non-stress test usage load?

Windows 10 installation fresh for this board? What drivers and basic software was installed?

What do you use to OC? Strictly the UEFI? Or Ryzen Master?

What is a "safe voltage and frequency"? Most Ryzen 7 processor over clocks are one or two bins above the max Turbo frequency, with 1.35V VCore +/- a few hundredths volt. For a 1600, that would be 3.7 - 3.8GHz.

Your single Ripjaws V DIMM is running at what speed? Ripjaws V memory in general does not work well with Ryzen. Your memory should be in either the A2 slot.

Do you get any information from Windows regarding the crashes you experience?

When you now run APP Shop, it just fails with that error message?

Do you have any other RGB LED hardware in this PC? If you are using the stock AMD cooler, do you have its RGB LEDs connected to the board? If so, which type of RGB connection are you using?

What video card and PSU are you using?
pixelectric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixelectric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Sorry but a rather vague and general descriptions of your situation, where details matter.
Sorry for my vague message, I didn't thought any other information was needed since the issues seemed like they was only dealing with the motherboard.
I'll try to address your questions at best as I can.

First, what UEFI/BIOS version are you using? You need at least version 2.00 to fully support a Ryzen 5 processor.
The first thing I did was update the motherboard via the BIOS option to via the internet. I believe the version is 3.00.

What CPU cooler are you using? What is your Tdie temperature at idle and maximum non-stress test usage load?
I'm using the stock CPU cooler that came with the Ryzen 5 1600, right now my idle temperature is 35C. I have seen up to 53C running tasks.

Windows 10 installation fresh for this board? What drivers and basic software was installed?
Yeah, it was a fresh installation. Only drivers installed right now are the ones that came on Asrock's driver cd. So, the AMD drivers, and realtek lan drivers. Then I have the asrock and amd software installed, along with Steam.

What do you use to OC? Strictly the UEFI? Or Ryzen Master?
I have only tried to from UEFI so far.

What is a "safe voltage and frequency"? Most Ryzen 7 processor over clocks are one or two bins above the max Turbo frequency, with 1.35V VCore +/- a few hundredths volt. For a 1600, that would be 3.7 - 3.8GHz.
By safe frequency I mean between 3.2ghz and 3.7ghz, and safe voltage is from 1.3v to 1.4v.
Right now I'm running at 3.7ghz with 1.4v, all is fine until I run a OCCT stress test, then within half a minute I will get the cpu halt/crash.

Your single Ripjaws V DIMM is running at what speed? Ripjaws V memory in general does not work well with Ryzen. Your memory should be in either the A2 slot.
I haven't touched the settings on the RAM, to me it seems to work fine with Ryzen. Why I say that, is I had ripjaws before that did not like my prior Phenom X4.
This board don't have a A2 slot, only an A1, and a B1. Which I have it in the A1 slot.
The ram's default speed is 2800MHz. cpu-z is telling me it's at 1396.7MHz ... (1396.7MHz * 2 = 2793.4MHz) so that is right on the specs.

Do you get any information from Windows regarding the crashes you experience?
No, the crash when it happens is either immediately a red, or a white screen. followed by the keyboard powering off, and the CPU halting.

When you now run APP Shop, it just fails with that error message?
Yep, immediately on launch.

Do you have any other RGB LED hardware in this PC? If you are using the stock AMD cooler, do you have its RGB LEDs connected to the board? If so, which type of RGB connection are you using?
No, just the one RGB LED strip on the only LED pins this board gives besides the CPU. But also, since I am using the 1600 stock cooler, it doesn't use LEDs.
The RGB LEDs is the standard white (power), green, red, blue. It worked great when I first got it going.
I started with setting the RGB LED features using Asrock's RGB software... Then when I went to the BIOS I noticed there was a music option that wasn't in the software. So I tried that, I think that's when the problems started with the RGB LED output.

What video card and PSU are you using?
The video card is the Geforce GTX 970 (Asus model). It is not overclocked.
The psu is a corsair CX600.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic