ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi Fan Behaviors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MossyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi Fan Behaviors
    Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 12:00am
Hello,

I have a X370 Taichi mobo (BIOS ver. 3.00) with a Ryzen 7 1700 (non-overclocked) CPU with the stock Wraith cooler, and two sets of PWM case fans (each set with a Y-cable).

In the BIOS, I have all fans set to the setting above "standard" (without going into my BIOS, I believe the setting is called "performance"), and is set to "Monitor M/B".

In A-Tuning, which I have set to start at system start-up, I have defined fan profiles for all fans.

However, I'm noticing that the fans are not following my A-Tuning fan profiles.

Which takes precedence, the BIOS fan settings or the A-Tuning fan settings?

If the BIOS settings take precedence, how do I get the A-Tuning settings to take precedence?

Thanks.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 12:10am
A-Tuning alters the same values the UEFI does. If it isn't working try setting your fans to DC mode in the UEFI then check A-Tuning again. Not all fans are PWM compatible.
MossyRock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MossyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 12:19am
Thanks.

If the profiles I am setting in A-Tuning are the same ones that are in the BIOS, then there is something else going wrong.

All fans ARE indeed changing their speeds in response to changing CPU temperatures.  The case fans are definitely 4-pin PWM fans.  Two fans are on one Y-cable, and the other two are on another Y-cable (connected to CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN3, respectively).

But the problem is that they are not following the profiles I am setting and seeing in A-Tuning.   They are following something else.
MossyRock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MossyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 12:34am
I think at this point, I am going to uninstall A-Tuning and set the fan profiles in the BIOS and test to see that those are being followed.

At one point, I opened A-Tuning and my CPU fan speed dropped to a very low speed, despite that fact that the CPU was at 100% (I'm running BOINC) and the CPU temps began rising dangerously.  It required a reboot to recover.

I think the conflict is with A-Tuning.
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 1:22am
Originally posted by MossyRock MossyRock wrote:

I think at this point, I am going to uninstall A-Tuning and set the fan profiles in the BIOS and test to see that those are being followed.

At one point, I opened A-Tuning and my CPU fan speed dropped to a very low speed, despite that fact that the CPU was at 100% (I'm running BOINC) and the CPU temps began rising dangerously.  It required a reboot to recover.

I think the conflict is with A-Tuning.

Do you use AIDA64 for monitoring? I had the same behaviour as you, and disabling monitoring on AIDA solve the problem for me.

Anyway, UEFI fan curves work very well. I suggest to use only UEFI for controlling fans, and the Windows utility only when you have to change fan speeds for some special use case.
MossyRock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MossyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 1:35am
I am using HWMonitor (standard version, not the PRO version) to monitor the fan speeds.

The standard version of HWMonitor doesn't have the capability to change fan speeds.
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 1:49am
Originally posted by MossyRock MossyRock wrote:

I am using HWMonitor (standard version, not the PRO version) to monitor the fan speeds.

The standard version of HWMonitor doesn't have the capability to change fan speeds.

Yes I know. When I asked for AIDA64 was because for some reason, which I don't know, at some point the monitoring from AIDA messes up Asrock Fantastic Tuning monitoring, so you see that weird behaviour with fans, and the only solution is a PC restart.

HWInfo64 is more reliable in my testings for sensor monitoring tough.

Anyway, in your case, I suggest to configure fan curves on UEFI because in all my testing it worked very well.

Cheers,

MossyRock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MossyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 2:11am
Thanks, nangu.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic