ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - J3355M - Win7 Ult install - can't run installer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

J3355M - Win7 Ult install - can't run installer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J3355M - Win7 Ult install - can't run installer
    Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 10:48pm
J3355M, latest BIOS ( as of 20/08/17)

Installing Win7 Ult from Optical Drive and PS/2 keyboard

Starts booting the Windows 7 Ult DVD, screens goes black like it should with STARTING WINDOWS and Windows logo, but just hangs there forever.

So tried the patcher instead...

Win7USBPatchter, v2_0_16_0
- Boot with stick, hangs with error message right at start of boot
- Create ISO - it created an .iso 41GB in size (!) which couldn't fit on the DVD-R

I've succssfully installed Windows 10 onto this system, proving the motherboard, ram, cpu are all fine. RAM is DDR3L 1866. Windows 10 runs too slow, so want to install Windows 7 instead.

Any advice?

Edited by Spectrum - 21 Aug 2017 at 12:20am
Stefan75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefan75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:50am
Kaby Lake doesn't support W7 anymore, maybe Apollo Lake too.
And I'd be surprised if W7 was faster than W10.
I'm quite happy with my W10 J3455-ITX/4GB/SSD/UHD60Hz.
http://cellarcinema.info
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 8:42am
The restriction to Windows 10 is not an ASRock limitation. That is either, or, or both, an Intel/Microsoft limitation, sorry to say.

The Windows 7 USB patcher, which is not intended for your board, only adds a USB 3.0 driver to the Windows 7 installation files. That is not the cause of the Windows 7 installer failure in your case.
Spectrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 3:10pm
So parsec, can you say conclusively, that Windows 7 will not run on my J3355M board?

Or is there a hack to get it running?
Spectrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 10:15pm
Windows 7 up and running on J3355M

unplugged any USB device

plugged in PS/2 keyboard

Installed from Windows DVD
Spectrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 10:16pm
Which USB driver do I download for Windows 7 ?

After WIndows 7 install from OEM DVD, I don't have any USB functionality.
SinceCCF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SinceCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 2:36am
You need to use asus tool to create iso for installing windows which will be able to drive up the usb on apollo lake chipse, asrock tool will not do that, then write the iso to usb drive with Rufus using UEFI-CSM and you will be able to boot up to windows 7, just need to set CSM setting correctly, I wrote up the installatin process for my J3455 ITX and it should work on J3355M too.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157728

It's under the review section and all the drivers needed are listed.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 11:04am
Originally posted by SinceCCF SinceCCF wrote:

You need to use asus tool to create iso for installing windows which will be able to drive up the usb on apollo lake chipse, asrock tool will not do that, then write the iso to usb drive with Rufus using UEFI-CSM and you will be able to boot up to windows 7, just need to set CSM setting correctly, I wrote up the installatin process for my J3455 ITX and it should work on J3355M too.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157728

It's under the review section and all the drivers needed are listed.

While your guide in the review is very good, there is a bit more to it than simply getting the USB 3.0 driver incorporated in a Windows 7 ISO. Also, finding a system that allows the Asus software to run will be challenging for most people, as it was for you.

As you know, the main problem using Windows 7 with this board is Windows 7's virtually non-existent UEFI support. The Windows 7 installation files has an EFI Bootloader, but it is in the wrong location and cannot be found by the Windows 7 installer (what a terrible bug!) That can be fixed, but that does not address the UEFI VGA Option ROM issues with Windows 7 that you encountered.

You'll notice that even the latest ASRock boards, such as AM4 and X299, have a PS2 port on the IO panel. The PS2 ports have come in handy as far back as the Intel 100 series chipset boards, which IMO were the first models that suffered from the Intel/Microsoft USB 3.0 only driver for all the USB ports. We had no idea USB keyboards and mice would not work with Windows 7 and these boards. That was the time I moved on to Windows 8 and 8.1, mainly due to incomplete UEFI support in Windows 7. I soon forgot about the USB port problems with Windows 7 and the latest Intel chipset boards. Ryzen AM4 systems are also the same regarding the use of the MSoft USB 3.0 driver for the USB 2.0 ports.

I never said conclusively that Windows 7 would not run on this board. But there is more to getting Windows 7 running on it than just including the USB 3.0 driver.

SinceCCF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SinceCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 3:52am
J3455 ITX is compatible with Z270/Z170 on the usb chipset, Intel just had to listen to m$ to not publish the driver but it's already there, if you can have windows working with ps/2 mouse and keyboard, just manually install the driver on the usb with the one from Z270 usb 3.0 driver, you need to override by accepting the not for this hardware warning, it's working perfectly fine in my case, I was using a H110 chipset windows 7 system, after install usb driver manually everything works fine. For you AMD X370 AM4, you might be able to make usb working by borrowing driver from previous gen chipset, such as A68, there is chance that AMD kept the same chip and put on the AM4, you need to try and see if that works.

Doing a complete new installation by integrating driver was first introduced with Skylake but I just wondered if I can use that to integrate apollo lake drivers and turned out that Asus tool actually is updated to be able to drive up Apollo Lake. Ryzen system was promised to be able to have support of Windows 7, but that was abandoned later because of pressure from m$ for promotion of Win10, hardware itself should be able to work in Windows 7, just someone needs to find out which driver that is and publish it online somewhere for people to dig it up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic