ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 fatality it RAM help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcfrosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 fatality it RAM help?
    Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 7:29am
I need some serious help. I can't overclock my RAM at ALL. I've tried different timings, lowering speed, changing ProcODT to every setting from 43.6ohm to 96ohm. Changing command rate to 1T. Disabling gear down mode. This has turned out to be a bigger PITA than DDR3 to overclock. I'm begging, anyone who can help me out I welcome it.

Using x370 fatality it, 1800x, Trident Z RGB F4-3466C16D-32GTZR. Feeling pretty stupid right now.
Pencha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pencha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 7:40am
Little more core voltage, SOC voltage 1.1-1.2V, ProcODT 53.3, 2T, 1.4V mem voltage...
On what frequency is working now?
jcfrosty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcfrosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 8:12am
Thanks, RAM just fails and drops to 2133mhz currently.

Sorry for sounding dumb, but by SOC voltage you mean VDDCR SOC voltage? And the only option it's freaking offset. So I have no idea what the current voltage is to set it to 1.1-1.2
jcfrosty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcfrosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 9:21am
I tried the input you have me. Still fails. I've lowered to 2933, 2800, and 2666. All fails! Currently on P3.00 BIOS. This thing refuses to work in dual channel so far. It doesn't use dual channel even at 2133.

This thing absolutely hates XMP.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by jcfrosty jcfrosty wrote:

I need some serious help. I can't overclock my RAM at ALL. I've tried different timings, lowering speed, changing ProcODT to every setting from 43.6ohm to 96ohm. Changing command rate to 1T. Disabling gear down mode. This has turned out to be a bigger PITA than DDR3 to overclock. I'm begging, anyone who can help me out I welcome it.

Using x370 fatality it, 1800x, Trident Z RGB F4-3466C16D-32GTZR. Feeling pretty stupid right now.

Originally posted by jcfrosty jcfrosty wrote:

I tried the input you have me. Still fails. I've lowered to 2933, 2800, and 2666. All fails! Currently on P3.00 BIOS. This thing refuses to work in dual channel so far. It doesn't use dual channel even at 2133.

This thing absolutely hates XMP.

It's not clear to me which board you have, is it the Fatal1ty X370 Gaming ITX/ac? It's the only one of the four ASRock Fatal1ty X370 boards whose name is close to what you posted.

I'll assume it is the Fatal1ty X370 Gaming ITX/ac.

Question, have you ever had this board and CPU pass POST yet, and go into the UEFI/BIOS? It seems you have at some point, how did you manage that?

The memory is listed in this board's memory QVL list. But G.SKILL's QVL list is all Intel chipset boards, so the XMP profile may not work well at all. Ryzen is not listed at all, which is surprising since this is a new model:

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3466c16d-32gtzr

You said the memory won't do dual channel even at 2133. Have you verified that both DIMMs will work individually, one at a time in the board? Meaning that both DIMMs work, and one is not bad.

Disabling Geardown Mode forces a 1T timing, which is harder for the memory to do. This memory is probably DR (Dual Rank), meaning chips on both sides of the memory board, is that right?

You need to insert one DIMM at a time, into the A1 slot, and clear the CMOS/BIOS before you try starting the board. If you skip that step, you're just hurting yourself.

IF both DIMMs work individually, then try both DIMMs together, again clearing the CMOS/BIOS before starting the board. Sounds like you've tried that, but we need to know where you are at.

IF you get past 2667 with 32GB in that board, you'll be doing very well. Zero chance of getting the XMP speed of 3466 with 32GB. Stick with Auto memory settings for timing, ProcODT, etc, DRAM voltage at 1.35V. That memory should be Samsung B-die, so if you must set ProcODT, 53.3 ohms ONLY.

BTW, it's not you, its Ryzen and memory compatibility, its biggest issue. The only "you" problem is expecting more from Ryzen and this board than is practically possible.

jcfrosty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcfrosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 10:23am
Good call...Shoot me, I've been jacking with bad RAM evidently. Was so confused by the odd reboots. Didn't even have an OS on it yet.

Didn't even think to test individual sticks. I just assumed new means good and rolled with it. I'm sending it back, gonna get a replacement.
Pencha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pencha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 10:47am
The first thing you do when you have a problem is to take out all unnecessary parts. Now you learned it the hard way  ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic