ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 ASRock taichi Dr. Debug 4b/46/F9

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forcefulinteractions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 ASRock taichi Dr. Debug 4b/46/F9
    Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 10:12pm
I finished putting my build together yesterday all the while it has been giving me a myriad of problems.

Here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zdg2yf.

I plugged everything into place. At first the monitor did not want to display anything through the dp cable. I suspected my gfx card. I turned off the monitor and unplugged it and then plugged it back in. I got a display and my system posted. At this time all fans are running except the radiator. (Had it connected to cpu_opt/water_pump).

I install Windows with no problem. It restarts once to complete the install. I boot into windows and start downloading drivers in preparation for the build but my system turns off by itself. At this point in time my ram are in slots 2 and 4. I turn it back on and run cpuz and it turns out my cpu is being down locked to 500 mhz. Only one memory shows up as 3000mhz while the other in slot 4 shows as 64 mhz. I suspected this was a bios problem. So I go ahead and try to download the bios file. Pc shuts down again.

I turn it back on and it posts. Now I successfully transferred the bios file into the USB. I attempted to flash the bios only for it to be interrupted. My PC shut down once again. Now I start to panic because I don't know of ASRock boards having dual bios. I suspected my PC was turning off because my cpu wasn't getting proper cooling. I plug the radiator to cpu_fan1 and the rad fans finally spin. But now my PC does not post.

Error code f9 it gives me. What does f9 mean?

Now I try to troubleshoot my self. I remove the memory stick and try one at a time in different slots.

With one in slot 2 error code 4b? Or is it 46.

With one in slot 1 error code 4b/46

With both in slot 2 and 4 error code 4b/46

With no memory error code 4b/46.

When I turn on my PC all fans run. Gpu LEDs are up. Keyboard LEDs are up and so is the mouse. But I keep getting no display and F9.

Help please.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Forcefulinteractions Forcefulinteractions wrote:

I finished putting my build together yesterday all the while it has been giving me a myriad of problems.

Here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zdg2yf.

I plugged everything into place. At first the monitor did not want to display anything through the dp cable. I suspected my gfx card. I turned off the monitor and unplugged it and then plugged it back in. I got a display and my system posted. At this time all fans are running except the radiator. (Had it connected to cpu_opt/water_pump).

I install Windows with no problem. It restarts once to complete the install. I boot into windows and start downloading drivers in preparation for the build but my system turns off by itself. At this point in time my ram are in slots 2 and 4. I turn it back on and run cpuz and it turns out my cpu is being down locked to 500 mhz. Only one memory shows up as 3000mhz while the other in slot 4 shows as 64 mhz. I suspected this was a bios problem. So I go ahead and try to download the bios file. Pc shuts down again.

I turn it back on and it posts. Now I successfully transferred the bios file into the USB. I attempted to flash the bios only for it to be interrupted. My PC shut down once again. Now I start to panic because I don't know of ASRock boards having dual bios. I suspected my PC was turning off because my cpu wasn't getting proper cooling. I plug the radiator to cpu_fan1 and the rad fans finally spin. But now my PC does not post.

Error code f9 it gives me. What does f9 mean?

Now I try to troubleshoot my self. I remove the memory stick and try one at a time in different slots.

With one in slot 2 error code 4b? Or is it 46.

With one in slot 1 error code 4b/46

With both in slot 2 and 4 error code 4b/46

With no memory error code 4b/46.

When I turn on my PC all fans run. Gpu LEDs are up. Keyboard LEDs are up and so is the mouse. But I keep getting no display and F9.

Help please.

No dual UEFI/BIOS on your board.

Given your description, which is all we can go by, the main problem I see is the PC shutting down during the UEFI/BIOS update. That is bad, and normally results in a corrupted UEFI/BIOS. That is why you are getting the F9 POST code. Trying to fix this via the memory will not work.

What method did you use to try to update the UEFI/BIOS? If it was the Instant Flash method in the BIOS, there is a SMALL chance you can recover the corrupted BIOS by inserting the USB flash drive with the Instant Flash file in a USB port on the IO panel, and start the PC. Have your memory in the A2 and B2 slots.

Let the PC run with the flash drive in place, 10 minutes is not too long. If nothing seems to happen, and you continue to see the F9 POST code, the board is most likely bricked due to the shutdown during the UEFI update. Removing power from the PC, as you must have done to play with the memory, seals the corrupted UEFI/BIOS deal, sorry to say.

If the BIOS recovery fails, either RMA the board or return it to the retailer.
Forcefulinteractions View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forcefulinteractions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 10:47pm
I have removed the cmos battery last night to let it reset overnight and will attempt this. Yes I did try to flash in the bios. So I should be bale to try to update the corrupted bios. If nothing happens how long does rma take?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 3:31am
Originally posted by Forcefulinteractions Forcefulinteractions wrote:

At this time all fans are running except the radiator.
I suspected my PC was turning off because my cpu wasn't getting proper cooling. I plug the radiator to cpu_fan1 and the rad fans finally spin. But now my PC does not post.

Not good. No cooling.

But, I think this an issue with the old BIOS revision and Ripjaw V's which are notorious PITA till one gets the latest BIOS flashed.

Check a shop near you that might have compatible ram that functions with your older BIOS rev.

If so, clear the BIOS, flash, and then put the Ripjaw V's back in.

Edited by wardog - 23 Aug 2017 at 3:32am
Forcefulinteractions View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forcefulinteractions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 3:42am
[URL=][/URL]Yes but my PC already posted once even though it wasn't reading the ram properly. So how could it of been a ram issue that my PC randomly turned off after 5 minutes. Doing anything would turn it off. Even flashing a bios. But installing Windows was not interrupted not once. Is it because the cpu is not putting out much heat at this time? Also it's not even posting without ram into the bios. I just get the 4b/56 code.

Edited by Forcefulinteractions - 23 Aug 2017 at 3:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic