ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

heads up faster hard drive speeds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heads up faster hard drive speeds
    Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 9:15pm
just picked up a point on the overclockers uk thread

it seems the amd chipset driver for hard drives is NOT autoinstalling when you run the driver packadge

open device manager
click sata/ahci
and it is listed as three standard drivers
click update driver
and direct it with browse computer to the amd folder
click ok and it installs the amd driver
(this only will work on one of your three sata/achi devices so try it on all three to find which one does want/need the update)
it now will display
amd sata controller + two standard sata controllers
reboot and your offSmile

i gained some needed 20% gains on my 4k read and write speeds on my samsung nvme drive
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

just picked up a point on the overclockers uk thread

it seems the amd chipset driver for hard drives is NOT autoinstalling when you run the driver packadge

open device manager
click sata/ahci
and it is listed as three standard drivers
click update driver
and direct it with browse computer to the amd folder
click ok and it installs the amd driver
(this only will work on one of your three sata/achi devices so try it on all three to find which one does want/need the update)
it now will display
amd sata controller + two standard sata controllers
reboot and your offSmile

i gained some needed 20% gains on my 4k read and write speeds on my samsung nvme drive

Yes, for some reason the AMD chipset driver package, when run on a Ryzen system, will not automatically install the AMD AHCI driver for any of the multiple AMD SATA controllers on Ryzen. The standard MSoft storahci AHCI driver remains installed after the AMD chipset driver package installer is run. I don't know if this is a bug in the AMD chipset driver package, or Windows not cooperating. Or possibly that AMD did not intend for their AHCI driver to be used with Ryzen. What is the name of the AMD driver that was installed?

One quick note, datonyb has the X370 Taichi board, which provides eight AMD SATA ports, and the Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming board does too, via three separate AMD SATA controllers. All of the other ASRock AM4 boards provide six or four AMD SATA ports, from either two or one AMD SATA controller(s). These boards will only have one or two entries in the Device Manager, ATA/ATAPI Controllers entry, which is normal given the number of SATA ports they provide.

Now on to the curious and interesting part of his post, which is not about why the AMD AHCI driver is not automatically installed. He said after installing the AMD AHCI SATA driver, his Samsung NMVe SSD showed a 20% performance increase in its 4K file read and write speeds. I have seen a similar claim from Intel mother board users after they installed the Intel AHCI/RAID driver, that their NVMe SSD had improved performance in benchmark tests. I've wondered about this for a while now, and finally have a chance to comment on it.

Why is this interesting? SATA and NVMe are two different storage protocols. They each use different drivers, Samsung, Intel, and Microsoft each provide NVMe drivers, without an NVMe driver an NVMe SSD cannot work. NVMe SSDs do not use the SATA AHCI driver. You can use an NVMe SSD in a PC with no SATA drives installed, and no SATA AHCI driver installed.

NVMe SSDs actually have an NVMe controller chip included in every NVMe SSD. They do not use a SATA controller. For each NVMe SSD you have in a PC, there will be a separate entry in Device Manager under Storage Controllers. Each of the NVMe controller entries will include the NVMe driver being used.

SATA drives do not have a SATA controller chip. They use the SATA controller chip(s) built into a mother board. That is the way SATA has always worked. Since mother boards do not (yet) have an NVMe controller built into them, NVMe SSDs must have their own NVMe controller chip in order to work.

Adding further to the separation of SATA and NVMe, the Ultra M.2 slot of the X370 Taichi, and all of the other Ultra M.2 slots in ASRock AM4 boards, use the PCIe 3.0 lanes provided by the CPU. Ryzen processors, being SOC type chips, have one or two SATA controllers included in them, depending upon the model. They are separate and use different PCIe lanes.

The big question is, given all of this, how can an AHCI driver influence the performance of an NVMe SSD? I have not said that it does or doesn't, but I am struggling to understand how it possibly can. Does a different AHCI driver somehow affect the general or overall latency of the PCIe or other related buss? Does a different SATA AHCI driver somehow affect the benchmark test results run on an NVMe SSD? Is the improved 4K performance of an NVMe SSD in a benchmark test actually related to something else? I don't have an answer but IMO this situation, if true, is very unusual.

If someone said their SATA drive had better performance when using a different AHCI driver, I would not wonder about it at all. But an NVMe SSD's performance improving after installing a different SATA AHCI driver? How does that happen?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 5:25am
well as an update and to add to the confusion
i got my friend to update his msi b350 tonight

as mentioned above HIS system only lists TWO sata/achi controllers
(i had assumed it was becuase he didnt have a nvme drive) but i think parsec has cleared that up with the lesser amount of sata controllers

now as to if the changed driver did allow the 20% 4k increase ,i dont know now...........

it has been a few months since i tested the speeds,but it was consistantly at the slower speed then so has a later crimson driver done the tweak before today i cant say

all i can say is
on overclockers forum the guy posted this fix to assist with a slow 4k nvme drive issue, hence why i tested mine again today and compared it to the old crystal mark score
the normal read and write are as advertised by samsung, its just the 4k on x370 systems seems very slow in comparision to other systems (eg intel)

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 7:21am
And here all this time I thought with heads up they are considered to be Parked LOL

Geek
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 8:58am
@datonyb

Thanks for bring it here. I saw that post on OCN and tried it myself. One of the AHCI/SATA ports updated only as described. 

Done no benchmark because I tought the same as Parsec, but I'll check it anyway.

May be the nvme ssd is on the M2 slot which share the SATA pcie lane on Sata 6G mode? On that case it have much more sense speaking increased speed.

Anyway, I will test on my board and return later :-) 

EDIT: The AMD Sata driver doesn't improve anything on my test. Tested WD Black Pcie x4 and Crucial MX 100 Sata drive. Images below:

The first drive is connected to the Ultra M.2. slot as Nvme. The second drive is a standard SATA SSD connected to one motherboard's SATA port. I don't know if this particular SATA port is linked to the AMD lanes or the promontory chipset one tough. 

Edited by nangu - 25 Aug 2017 at 10:31am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 11:52am
nangu, thanks for doing that testing.

I agree it is difficult to know which SATA ports are connected to which SATA controller, and do we know which SATA controller is now using the AMD AHCI driver. I have not searched through the Device Manager details for each of the SATA controllers, and other programs, to see if I can identify which SATA controller is connected to specific SATA ports. I am guessing that SATA ports 1 - 4 are connected to the CPU's SATA controller, and 5 - 6 are connected to the chipset SATA controller. My X370 Killer SLI/ac board has six AMD SATA III ports.

My first test results were the same as yours for a SATA SSD, the 4K speeds were not improved, and have always been less than they were on Intel boards.

My 960 EVO actually had worse 4K results than I have had in the past after the AMD AHCI driver installation. But using two 500GB 960 EVOs in various PCs, IMO they are inconsistent in their benchmark results. Some tests are good, others are not as good, judged outside of the normal range of benchmark results variations, using the same driver.

I'm not saying this AMD SATA AHCI driver theory is false, but I'm not seeing anything yet that makes me think it does make a difference.

I noticed the date of the AMD SATA AHCI driver is 3/29/2015, version 1.2.1.402. Certainly that is pre-Ryzen. So if the Ryzen SATA controller is new, that driver isn't. I believe before Ryzen was released, I read that the SATA chipset that would be used was provided by... ASMedia. Pinch  If it is, it clearly is not using a single PCIe 2.0 lane as all ASMedia add on SATA chipsets have used in the past. The sequential read and write speeds are clearly at the SATA III level, which cannot be said for the ASMedia add on chipsets on earlier mother boards.

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 5:37pm
ok i done a little more testing
this time on the evo 850 sata connected drive
the 4k tests only changed 4kq32 ,seems around 5-10% better,and 4k write slightly less than 10% worse
this is comparing a test recorded on april 27 this year (and to be fair with only one test each time can only assume to be in the scope of tolerances)

so i dont know then Confused, it seems it dosnt help speeds afterall
next ponderment ..........................

does it help the sudden undetected hard drive issue some people report ?
(not that ive had that issue)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic