ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Itx- only posts after 5/6 failed attempts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjh1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Itx- only posts after 5/6 failed attempts
    Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 10:16pm

Hi all

I finished a ryzen 1800x build a watercooled build couple of weeks ago (with a corsair sf600 psu, asrock x370 itx board and 1080ti)

I'm really proud of my build so I was pretty devastated when I ran into a serious issue this morning. I just moved my PC a little bit and straight away encountered the issue.

It's probably easiest to explain by way of video so please see this short video - https://youtu.be/ndrzT7OqWwQ

Basically when I press the power button the fans come alive etc but almost immediately I get a number of beeps (normally three but sometimes fewer) and then it immediately shuts down again. It'll then try and boot again until one time it will actually boot (normally after 4 -6 attempts). Once it does boot the system is fine.

The mobo manual suggests three beeps is a memory issue but I think this is unlikely because memory had been working fine previously (and still appears to be when the system does boot) and sometimes it only beeps 1 -2.

I think this is a power issue (perhaps a loose connection). I've tried to refasten all power connectors to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by tjh1989 tjh1989 wrote:

Hi all

I finished a ryzen 1800x build a watercooled build couple of weeks ago (with a corsair sf600 psu, asrock x370 itx board and 1080ti)

I'm really proud of my build so I was pretty devastated when I ran into a serious issue this morning. I just moved my PC a little bit and straight away encountered the issue.

It's probably easiest to explain by way of video so please see this short video - https://youtu.be/ndrzT7OqWwQ

Basically when I press the power button the fans come alive etc but almost immediately I get a number of beeps (normally three but sometimes fewer) and then it immediately shuts down again. It'll then try and boot again until one time it will actually boot (normally after 4 -6 attempts). Once it does boot the system is fine.

The mobo manual suggests three beeps is a memory issue but I think this is unlikely because memory had been working fine previously (and still appears to be when the system does boot) and sometimes it only beeps 1 -2.

I think this is a power issue (perhaps a loose connection). I've tried to refasten all power connectors to no avail.

Thanks!

It seems to me that your memory is not seated correctly in the memory slots. The three beeps of a memory problem is not simply the memory itself has a problem, but that it may have a connection problem, so cannot operate correctly. If all it took was moving the PC a little to cause the problem, then you need to check that everything is correctly mounted and held solidly in place. After trying to start the PC a few times, whatever does not have a good connection does make contact from vibration, for example, and then works until it loses connection again.

In your video, the PC is laying on its side, with a side cover off, and a custom cooling radiator laying on the PC. Is that how you normally use it?

Small form factor PC cases like you are using are difficult to work with. Plus the small mother board, everything is so close together in the case, with a large video card, and custom water cooling. Very easy for the memory to be pushed on by something and moved out of place.

You've given us very little to go on, sometimes three beeps, sometimes two. One beep is the normal POST Ok signal. POST failing for whatever reason happens quickly, it's the first thing that happens when you start a PC.
tjh1989 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjh1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Hi all

Thanks!

It seems to me that your memory is not seated correctly in the memory slots. The three beeps of a memory problem is not simply the memory itself has a problem, but that it may have a connection problem, so cannot operate correctly. If all it took was moving the PC a little to cause the problem, then you need to check that everything is correctly mounted and held solidly in place. After trying to start the PC a few times, whatever does not have a good connection does make contact from vibration, for example, and then works until it loses connection again.

In your video, the PC is laying on its side, with a side cover off, and a custom cooling radiator laying on the PC. Is that how you normally use it?

Small form factor PC cases like you are using are difficult to work with. Plus the small mother board, everything is so close together in the case, with a large video card, and custom water cooling. Very easy for the memory to be pushed on by something and moved out of place.

You've given us very little to go on, sometimes three beeps, sometimes two. One beep is the normal POST Ok signal. POST failing for whatever reason happens quickly, it's the first thing that happens when you start a PC.

Ok but i dont see how the memory could move once it is slotted in place. Also, if the memory is not in place then why do I sometimes only get 1 beep?

The PC is only on its side because I've opened it up to look inside.

I'm not sure what more information I can give you? 
tjh1989 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjh1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 11:16pm
I've taken all the ram modules out and it still makes the three beeps. Does that tell me anything?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 4:41am
yes try inserting them again and make sure there fully pressed in
then clear the cmos and restart and set bios settings again
(or if you were smart clcik on saved bios setting)
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 9:12am
Is the computer plugged directly into a wall socket/outlet?

Are you removing or otherwise cutting power to the PSU after you shut it down?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 11:05am

I've taken all the ram modules out and it still makes the three beeps. Does that tell me anything?

Yes, that means no memory was detected in the DIMM slots. As an example, a connection/pin that provides power or the power ground connection to the memory could have a bad connection, and the DIMM cannot power up. The memory is "in" the DIMM slot, but without power, so what does the board detect? Nothing in the DIMM slot.

You've said you sometimes get three, two, and one beep. That's all we have to go on. Intermittent and changing symptoms are the worst to diagnose.

Three short beeps means an error reading the first 64KB block in the memory.

Two short beeps means there has been a parity error in base memory. This is an issue with the first 64 KB block of memory in your memory.

One short beep means there has been a memory refresh timer error.

We also get one beep for a successful post, which I consider to be short, but if the PC does not start after one short beep, it must be that error.

What can we do in this situation? Reseat the memory to be sure it is fully in the DIMM slot. If you had this issue constantly, the memory is bad and must be replaced. You apparently have an intermittent problem with the memory, which is usually caused by the memory not being seated fully in the slots.

How does memory move once in the slot? You bump into it while working on the PC. The tubes from the radiator to the CPU block or reservoir touches the memory. You stick your hand into that tiny case to do something, and press on the memory. You did all the water cooling connections, tubing, etc, in that small case, and never touched the memory?

There's also the obvious one, leaks from your liquid cooling. All it takes is one drop on a DIMM slot...

Sorry but you imply that nothing can happen, but all kinds of things can happen, and do happen.
mysticjbyrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mysticjbyrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 12:27pm
Assuming you have 2 sticks of memory, and I assume you do based on the build, then simply use one stick, and see if the pc boots normally.  If it doesn't, then use the other stick.  

The odds that two new sticks of memory are doa is next to nil.

EDIT:  There's also a small probability that your memory isn't compatible with that board.  What memory are you using?

Edited by mysticjbyrd - 27 Aug 2017 at 12:34pm
Is "God" able, but not willing to stop evil? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God???

??Epicurus
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic