ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Threadripper, virtualization and passthrough

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Filthyscum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Threadripper, virtualization and passthrough
    Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 8:46pm
With regards to : https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6vbe6w/threadripper_broken_on_linux_for_pci_passthrough/

tl;dr: You can't use passthrough on the Threadripper platform, as devices get stuck in the D3 state. PCI bridges throwing errors all over.

I was wondering if there is any upcoming BIOS fixes in the pipeline. At the moment it's looking very bleak for the Threadripper platform when it comes to virtualization. Especially considering the Intel competition is more or less good to go, albeit at an increased price point.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 12:09am
Filthyscum, this is an ASRock main board user forum.  I guess it is possible that some user might have seen and even resolved this issue but I doubt it.  We would, most likely, be one of the last to know about a BIOS update.  Looking at your referenced Reddit blog, this sounds like a many board vendor problem and unknown if it is on Windows.  I would suggest it is a TR or a Linux problem.  I did read the other day that a Linux kernel/Ryzen (TR) problem had been identified that might require an AMD and/or a Linux kernel change.  I would suggest you check with Linux support and AMD support.  I know almost nothing about Linux, but I do know AMD technical support is very responsive.  Hope this all helps.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
Filthyscum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Filthyscum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 3:01am
Thank you for your reply, John!

The thing is that no word from AMD has come on this, and I'm basically trying to use a "shotgun to find answers" (wide enough spread and you might hit an answer). 

I think the problem you are referring to hearing about is the nested page tables bug in KVM, and that is a software bug that has been around for some 8-odd years. I have some hope that KVM and AMD will figure that one out.

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 5:11am
You are welcome, Filthyscum.  I assume you do not think the KVM problem is associated with the PCIe problem?  Good luck and enjoy, John.

EDIT: I assume you have seen this.  Threadripper is, of course, made up of Ryzen chips.

Edited by MisterJ - 01 Sep 2017 at 5:19am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 8:37am
By chance are you using an nVidia GPU(s)?

There's some kernel talk on this Level1Tech Ryzen thread. No reason whatsoever to believe Passthrough to not work on TR. None I'm aware.

Waiting on ASRock to set me up with a TR so I don't have a better answer atm.

https://level1techs.com/article/ryzen-gpu-passthrough-setup-guide-fedora-26-windows-gaming-linux

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic