ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270 Pro4 after update, lost UEFI boot option

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sandbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z270 Pro4 after update, lost UEFI boot option
    Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:50pm
Hi, and thanks for your answer.
The 'blue' image was taken of the net...Its not my current HDs setup...I just wanted to point out the "UEFI:" word infront of the HD...Thats what it was saying before the update as well in my BIOS.
To tell you the truth i got no idea how the CSM option was set...Right now it is on Enable with Legacy Options in all the subcategories..I didnt touch those cause i wanted to get an answer from here first :)

My main HD is C: Its an Intel x-25 M ssd drive and it was the only HD in the machine when i installed windows 10 64bit. Back then (about 6 months ago) i had somehow selected that i want to have an UEFI setup ....but i cant remember how i did it.
All i know is that in the boot menu...i could see the word UEFI in the 1st boot priority option...and now i noticed that i cant find it anymore. The pc works fine...i am writing from Windows now...It boots fine, no problems so far....its just that, i am scared to keep like that..

Should i do what you said ? Turn the CSM suboptions to UEFI only ? I did try to set it to Disable then i saved and went back in again to see what it did....but it was set back to enabled.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Sandbird Sandbird wrote:

I got the Z270 Pro4 board, and i just updated to 2.20 bios version, but i forgot to backup my settings first and now my boot up options dont include the UEFI boot option that i used to have.

If i remember correctly i used to have something like this (where it says UEFI: WDC):

I haven't touched my SSD or changed anything there...The EFI partition is clearly visible :

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks

Anytime you do a UEFI/BIOS update, you will lose any profiles (settings backups) anyway, so saving them would not have helped.

What you do need to do is reset your previous UEFI/BIOS settings that enabled UEFI booting, correct?

You must have had either the CSM option set to Disabled, or with CSM enabled, you had the CSM sub-option Launch Storage OpROM Policy set to UEFI Only.

Configure the CSM option as you had done previously, save and exit the UEFI/BIOS, and then go right back into the UEFI and check the Boot order again. You MUST save and exit the UEFI after configuring the CSM option, as it won't be applied until you do.

The boot entry for a UEFI booting Windows installation is normally Windows Boot Manager, possibly followed by the drive's name. I don't know how exactly you installed Windows for UEFI booting, or how many drives you had active in the PC when you installed Windows, or which drive is really the Windows drive. You seem to be saying that a WDC drive is the OS drive, while it shows an Intel SSD as the OS drive in your picture.

Does the PC boot Windows with the UEFI defaults after the update?
Sandbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 8:02pm
I got the Z270 Pro4 board, and i just updated to 2.20 bios version, but i forgot to backup my settings first and now my boot up options dont include the UEFI boot option that i used to have.

If i remember correctly i used to have something like this (where it says UEFI: WDC):

I haven't touched my SSD or changed anything there...The EFI partition is clearly visible :

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic