ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi does not boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uwarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi does not boot
    Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 8:42am
Completed the build w Ryzen 1700x, everything worked fine. Updated UEFI, went fine.

Installed Windows, disks, etc.  Still fine. Worked for a few days no problems.

Few days later, powered down. Now does not power up.

Flipped the power supply on/off button a few times. LEDs (preboot) blink, so guessing PSU is fine.

Hit power on on the case, no effect. Opened case, removed power jumper from case. tried (screwdriver) manual powerup, no effect.

Tried CMOS reset a few times, then power on, manual powerup - nothing.

Any ideas?Dead
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 9:09am
Originally posted by uwarrier uwarrier wrote:

Completed the build w Ryzen 1700x, everything worked fine. Updated UEFI, went fine.

Installed Windows, disks, etc.  Still fine. Worked for a few days no problems.

Few days later, powered down. Now does not power up.

Flipped the power supply on/off button a few times. LEDs (preboot) blink, so guessing PSU is fine.

Hit power on on the case, no effect. Opened case, removed power jumper from case. tried (screwdriver) manual powerup, no effect.

Tried CMOS reset a few times, then power on, manual powerup - nothing.

Any ideas?Dead

The RGB LEDs around the chipset heatsink should be on too, unless you disabled it. Not sure what you mean by the LEDs blink.

About all you can do is verify that both of the main power cables from the PSU are fully seated.

Otherwise your PSU may have died. When the PC is shutdown, the PSU's standby +5V section supplies power to the board, not the main rails of the PSU. Which means you get to try another PSU in that PC, which I know is a pain, but no other way to know if the board is the problem.

uwarrier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uwarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 9:33am
Thanks for the reply. The chipset LEDs actually blink - I call them preboot because of that. You are probably right, it could be the PSU. I will buy and try another one, GAAH!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 9:37am
Originally posted by uwarrier uwarrier wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The chipset LEDs actually blink - I call them preboot because of that. You are probably right, it could be the PSU. I will buy and try another one, GAAH!

My point is the LEDs around the chipset should stay ON, even when the PC is not booted up, but the PSU power switch is in the on position. Didn't they do that when the PC was working?
uwarrier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uwarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 10:44am
For me, those LEDs have always blinked even when the PC is on (so far as I remember). Just ordered another PSU- man, that thing had a 10 year warranty and I had it for not even 10 days! Thanks again,
uwarrier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uwarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 1:44am
(SOLVEDSmile)
Hi, Parsec:
Turns out you were right and rightBig smile:
1. You were right that the LEDs are ON not blinking
2. More importantly, you were right that it was a blown PSU. I tried a different one and lo and behold!

Note that I had also posted this to ASRock support and they had also gotten back to me (to reset CMOS) so at least their tech support answers.

Thanks again,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic