ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Variable Ryzen CPU Speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smrtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting Variable Ryzen CPU Speed
    Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 10:45pm
With the AB350M Pro, and Ryzen 1700 - is there an easy way to get variable CPU speed
up to say 3.4GHz?   If I leave the BIOS @ Auto, I only get 3.0GHz, but would like to give
it a small boost anyway.

If I fix it at 3400 in the BIOS, it is not variable speed up to 3.4GHz, it's fixed.  I want to guarantee
I get this variable behavior on a cold boot, not just a warm boot with Ryzen Master.

Unclear if Ryzen Master CPU settings stay after a cold boot - for CPU speed anyway, I know I can't
guarantee the memory speed I'd set there on cold boot, but that I've forced in the BIOS
for now and it's fine.

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 1:27am
i dont understand
the ryzen 1700 does auto boost from 3.0 to 3.7..................
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
smrtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smrtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 2:42am
At lease on my BIOS and Mobo, if you set it to Auto, you get 3.0MHz and that's where it stays - stock speed.

If I set it to say manual 3400, I get 3400, but it's fixed at that speed for all cores, so no energy savings when not needed.

If I set it in Ryzen Master to 3400, I do get the variable speed I want, but it's gone on a cold restart.
I want it around even on a cold restart, that's what I'm after.  Maybe IO can't do this.

Steel Legend B450M, Ryzen R7 2700,CoolerMaster Q300P Case, CoolerMaster MasterWatt 650
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 3:02am
have you tried setting to auto and running cinebench and THEN looking to see what cpuz reports as the cpu speed ?
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
smrtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smrtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 4:01am
Yes actually now I set it as AUTO in the BIOS for the CPU, it runs at a base of 3200 and
varies upward per core.  It does not go down as low as 1550 as saw at one Ryzen Master
setting.
Steel Legend B450M, Ryzen R7 2700,CoolerMaster Q300P Case, CoolerMaster MasterWatt 650
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 4:16am
Hi,

To set manual overclock and at the same time, lower freqs and volts on low load, you have to do pstate overclocking, but I don't know if your MB supports it.

Take a look at this forum post:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5851&PN=1&title=oc-mode-while-maintaining-power-saving

smrtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smrtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 4:30am
Actually, without messing with pStates, I just set the Windows Power Plan to "Balanced" - I was
on High Performance from a few days ago, and looks like that drops down the CPU speed to lower
but does spike up as needed.

So it's behaving the way I wanted according to HWMonitor.

smrtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smrtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 5:05am
So the easy fix for my needs was to get the latest AMD Ryzen Chipset Drivers which
includes the AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan. This modifies the pStates slightly to
balance performance vs. power savings better, definitely what I wanted.

These latest chipset drivers have so far not been provided by ASRock oe MS, but you can
download them here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows+10+-+64

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic