ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B350 HDV won't spin up [SOLVED]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scara3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B350 HDV won't spin up [SOLVED]
    Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 10:22pm
Hello there,

I am very new to computer assembly and recently acquired parts for my first one.

I got the following equipment:
- ASRock B350 HDV motherboard
- AMD Ryzen 1600 CPU (with its own cooler from the box)
- DDR4 2133 MHz 8GB J&A RAM (2 pieces)
- ZOTAC GTX1060 6GB GPU
- WD Blue 1TB hard drive
- EVGA 500W power supply
- AeroCool LS-5200 chassis

Case is: whenever I turn on the power supply, the LED on the power button blinks blue and stays like that forever. No boot, no fan spin up, only the flashing LED I get.

I have installed the motherboard, plugged in all above components, plus wired the cables hanging out from the chassis front panel.
Wiring should be correct: fans connected to the CHS_FAN slots, USB's to USB slots, HDD connects through SATA, GPU gets the 6 pin cable, CPU gets the 4 pin cable, large ATX20+4 plugged in.

I have sent back the motherboard to the vendor, they concluded it has no problems. The PSU spins up when its green and earth wires are shorted.

What could be the problem? Any help is appreciated. :)
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 2:15am
Please check that you have connected the 4-Pin CPU Power located in the upper left of this motherboard.

This is #1 or #2 reason for what you describe, and is commonly overlooked. Even by me every now and then

My other thought is........ J&A Ram?
Scara3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scara3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 1:11am
Thanks for the suggestion! The CPU 12V cable is in its place though and fits perfectly.

The RAM might be a different case. In the manual, it states that it supports 2400 MHz sticks. Is it an upper or lower limit for frequency? I read that 2133 MHz rams work just fine with this motherboard.

I noticed that the blinking appears with minimum setup (alas: CPU, memory sticks and PSU plugged in) as well.

Cheers!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 8:52am
Do you have a link to the model # and any specs for this J&A mem?
Scara3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scara3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 2:48pm
I only found non-English links to the model, as mostly Hungarian stores sell this product.
J&A is a manufacturer in Taipei.

Specs:
- Frequency: 2133 MHz
- Casing: DIMM
- 288 pins
- Size: 8GB
- Error correction: Non-ECC
- Power: 1.2V
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 6:32pm
can you borrow a different brand of ram to test the board with from a friend or local shop
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Scara3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scara3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 10:03pm
Update: it wasn't the memory or the PSU, but the CPU had some pins bent for unknown reasons. I had to buy a replacement and with it, the computer spins up.

Thank you for the help! This thread can be closed.

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:00pm
may i say thanks for coming back to update this thread with the reasons

may i also say
most cases of bent cpu pins can be repaired using a credit card and/or a mechanical pencil

eg the ones with a hole and lead that come thru the hole (use the hole to straighten out the pins)
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic