ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fastboot issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurritoBrownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fastboot issue
    Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 10:27am
The windows bios update tool should not be included as an option and should be removed from the DL page! Why offer a tool to brick motherboards? B350 PRO AM4 ATX updated from 2.6 to 3.2 in windows and bricked my board. Fast boot would not work , made system not post , updated bios , got hosed lol. Ryzen 3 1200 , Aegis DDR4 2400 2X8gb set to XMP 1 , RX560 2gb , Win 10. Any input as to why fastboot will not work? Exchanging board tomorrow for the same one. Read somewhere that bios has to be UEFI mode not Legacy in Win 10? I have scoured google but did not get anywhere. If I have to mess with the bios again I will just live with the long boot times. Thanks for any input or direction and yes , I know not to update through windows ever , now.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 11:19am
Originally posted by BurritoBrownie BurritoBrownie wrote:

The windows bios update tool should not be included as an option and should be removed from the DL page! Why offer a tool to brick motherboards? B350 PRO AM4 ATX updated from 2.6 to 3.2 in windows and bricked my board. Fast boot would not work , made system not post , updated bios , got hosed lol. Ryzen 3 1200 , Aegis DDR4 2400 2X8gb set to XMP 1 , RX560 2gb , Win 10. Any input as to why fastboot will not work? Exchanging board tomorrow for the same one. Read somewhere that bios has to be UEFI mode not Legacy in Win 10? I have scoured google but did not get anywhere. If I have to mess with the bios again I will just live with the long boot times. Thanks for any input or direction and yes , I know not to update through windows ever , now.

ASRock obviously tests the Windows UEFI/BIOS update method before releasing it, since bricking boards costs them money. Why would they do that to themselves? Plus they just added the Windows option for Ryzen boards again. But for whatever reason, we always see the most UEFI/BIOS update failures using the Windows method. Given all the inconsistent things I've seen in Windows, I always use Instant Flash. Ironically, the Windows UEFI update method actually starts Instant Flash after some preliminary setup, and I assume that setup is where things go wrong.

The Ultra Fast boot setting of the Fast Boot option only works for Windows 8.1 or 10 installations done in full UEFI booting mode. That means installed with the CSM option set to Disabled. Also, when installing Windows, the installation media's entry in the boot order must be the one with this format: "UEFI: <device name>", which should be the default, first entry in the boot order with CSM disabled. You must save and exit the UEFI after setting CSM to disabled for it to be applied.

As said above, you MUST install Windows with CSM disabled. You cannot disable CSM after installing Windows with CSM enabled (default setting), since Windows will not boot.

Also, the video source of the PC must be GOP compatible, a UEFI graphics protocol. Most modern video cards two to three years old will be GOP compatible, but that should be verified by the video card manufacture. EVGA video cards using Nvidia chips since the 700 series are GOP compatible, for example.

Fast boot is really a faster POST process. POST is generally longer on Ryzen, but is mainly longer due to the AM4 Advanced Boot Training option being enabled (Auto). Disable this option for a faster POST without using the Fast Boot option.

Using RAID mode with Ryzen also causes a longer POST time.

Using Ultra Fast with a Ryzen system without RAID, will cut the POST time by almost one half, with AM4 Advanced Boot Training disabled. That does not include the actual Windows boot time, which depends mainly on the OS drive used. The actual Windows boot/loading time will be a bit faster with a UEFI booting installation, because the Windows EFI bootloader will be used. That is independent of the Fast Boot setting.

BurritoBrownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurritoBrownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 12:37am
Got another of the same board. Machine is working flawless! Disabled memory training , boot us cosiderably faster. Thank you for the helpful information!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic