ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

MSI GT1030 on X370 Gaming X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MSI GT1030 on X370 Gaming X
    Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 4:14am
Hi,

I'm new here and seek for help. I recently get Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X, G.Skill 2x16 GB Fortis RAM and MSI Geforce GT1030 OC. I need a computer for my photographic tasks - the graphics does not matter, it draws max only 30 Watt and that's what I wanted - just to plug a 4K monitor.

Actually I bought MSI Geforce GT1030 just a few days ago and since then it has been working perfectly with my old Gigabyte motherboard with Core2Quad 9550.

As I put together X370 Gaming X, RAM and GT1030 everything was OK. I flashed BIOS/UEFI to the newest one, machine rebooted and I started installing Windows 10 Creators Update. Everything went smooth. Then I installed drivers from AsRock support site and AMD - without problem. But when I installed Nvidia driver (from their website) motherboard rebooted unexpectedly. BIOS/UEFI were cleared. Machine booted very slowly then rebooted just when Windows login screen appeared. Then it rebooted again and again always clearing BIOS/UEFI to defaults.

I reinstalled Windows (tried to reset Windows but without success) then it installed itself older Nvidia driver from Windows drivers repo online and everything started again - reboot, cleared BIOS/UEFI, reboot and so on.

I am quite sure that graphics card is good (I used it for almost a week). X370 Gaming X motherboard worked fine for almost 2 hours before I connected network and nVidia drivers were installed. It may be the nVidia drivers issue but it does not explain why BIOS/UEFI is cleared after each reboot and reboots were very slow.

Excuse my grammar, it is not my mother language. I would appreciate any help and suggestions. I've read few reviews of MSI Geforce GT1030 (also tested with Gigabyte Aorus X370 K5 on notebookcheck.com) and nobody reported such an issue.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 6:07am
smyk, where(link) and what driver ver from nVidia ?

Did you grab and install the latest 17.30 Chipset Drivers from AMD direcctly?

AMD Chipset, AHCI, USB 3.0 and RAID Drivers, r17.30 x64 64-bit
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows+10+-+64

AMD Chipset, AHCI, USB 3.0 and RAID Drivers, r17.30 x86 32-bit
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows+10+-+32

smyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 7:00am
Hi,

Yes, I did. I also installed latest AMD Ryzen Master Utility to monitor temperatures - but on my R1600 it was about 32-34 degree of Celsius. But then I installed nVidia drivers and at the end of it's installation the first unexpected reboot took place (without blue screen or BSOD). Before the compute was stable.

I also looked at the DrDebug digits and it shows "90" just after each reboot cycle so I turned off the computer, unplugged power cord and cleared CMOS with jumper - just as it is described in table with the DrDebug codes in the manual. It did not help.

Now when the computer is turned off for half an hour - it boots, let mi pass the Win login screen, then after minute or two it suddenly reboots, very slowly goes through boot procedure and then reboots again and again a few seconds later, before the Win login screen shows. And each time I enter BIOS/UEFI after reboot all settings are set to default (cleared).

Unfortunately, I dont have another graphics card to check (nor nVidia neither AMD). And it is also probably not an issue with power supply (beQuiet Dark Power Pro 550W - and the graphics needs only 30W max).

smyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 7:08am
Hi again,

The nVidia driver I installed was after first Win10 installation the newest official (WHQL) driver from official nVidia WWW site, version 385.69 published 21.9.2017.

Then when I installed Win10 second time (after disk format), I just let Windows to download nVidia driver from it's own driver repository. I can't tell you the version - because computer reboots, but it is almost for sure older one, because Win10 just for second showed that it is from July (?) if I can remember.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 10:12am
Ok, so, it ran fine with 385.69? But not using the WU Driver huh ...........

Grab Display Driver Uninstaller(DDU) at the below link:
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

You can try through Device Manage uninstalling the device AND software.

Either way should get you back to a clean install of 385.69

Keep us posted.

smyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 5:43pm
Thanks for the tip but maybe I did not write it clearly. I installed Win10 twice (2 times):

(1) Fresh Win install -> drivers from AsRock Support and AMD chipset and Ryzen Master and everything went OK until -> nVidia newest driver (385.69) -> at the end of nVidia driver installation unexpected reboot and then just as I wrote earlier: reboot, BIOS/UEFI set to default by itself/driver (?) and kept rebooting.

Then I formatted harddrive because nothing else worked, and I could not get to the system to uninstall nVidia driver (tried a lot of options: F8 at Win start and all the advanced boot options but even at Save Mode system unexpectadly rebooted after minute or so, even software reset Windows to default did not help, also did no help when I cleared BIOS/UEFI with jumper on motherboard just as DrDebug showed).

(2) Second fresh Win install -> drivers from AsRock Support and AMD chipset and Ryzen Master and everything went OK until -> nVidia little older driver from Windows Update drivers repository and everything started again just a seconds after Windows showed a little box with info that graphics driver from nVidia was already installed. So it rebooted unexpectadly and BIOS was autocleared to defaults again and the series of reboots has made completely impossible to login Windows.

So, the problem is, that either of two nVidia drivers did it. I can not run DDU (I tried) because I can't reach stable desktop for more than several seconds and then computer start rebooting again and again and then the loops are so short that it does not reach Windows login.

Maybe I should try to install Windows again and then install newest nVidia driver as first one?

smyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 6:35am
Just last update: I returned the motherboard. It's a pity, because it really fits my needs. Until I decided to buy Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X, I had two Asrock boards, both for Core2Duo and one is still working, while second is dead. After expirience with X370 Gaming X I dont think I consider Asrock again.
Now I search for a motherboard from another brand.
Thanks for help.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 11:10am
Originally posted by smyk smyk wrote:

Just last update: I returned the motherboard. It's a pity, because it really fits my needs. Until I decided to buy Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X, I had two Asrock boards, both for Core2Duo and one is still working, while second is dead. After expirience with X370 Gaming X I dont think I consider Asrock again.
Now I search for a motherboard from another brand.
Thanks for help.

I've had multiple problems with Windows 10 installing the Nvidia driver, which would not restart when it should, and then restart randomly. How you can blame the board for the driver installation problems, I do not understand.

Good luck with the new board.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic