ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi OC tips for begginer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi OC tips for begginer?
    Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 8:09am
Hello everyone,

So my new pc components are on the way and I spent a lot of time searching for the "perfect" build for me (see the components in signature). However right now I´m dealing with question about overclocking etc. I have been a laptop user for the last 8 years so I´m begginer in the overclocking - zero experiences so far - I just watched/read some tips etc but still without practical experience cause my parts will just arrive soon. Will You guys please help me a little bit with theme about OC and what to avoid?

Well first of all I mainly watched the YouTube videos from "Actually Hardcore Overclocking", read some topics here and on overclock forum but I still don´t understand a lot of things.

1) So first of all - the BIOS update. I definitely don´t want to start some OC with some old BIOS version so I searched a little and maybe upgrading at 3.0 version will be the best option - what do you think? I read this version should be mostly fine without any problems. To avoid bricking my MoBo i will definitely go with instant flash - i bought specially for this SanDisk Extreme 16GB which should be one of the best flash drives on the market. Yes i will set defalut settings in bios first before flashing and yes I will take care of the power supply of the pc + be following the instructions.

2) how many RAM stick have in slots: Well first I wanted to purchase single kit of 2x8 GB Trident Z 3466 CL16 however in the end i went with 4 sticks - 32GB total. I read that more sticks caused some problems with RAM frequency but it should be fine moreless with the newest bioses - what do You think? Should i put first only two sticks into A2+B2 slots or it will be just fine to insert all of them?

well if there exist some current OC guide for taichi with a lots of explanation which i couldn't find, i will be grateful for the link, otherwise:

3) OC setting - well there things start to be a little complicated. Everyone use different setting/different parts such as cpu/ram etc. Well I just now that to get better CPU OC results (3.8 - 4GHz) i have to increase voltage of the CPU. I just don´t kow where to start and where to end before the system stops being stable and what to change if there will be stability problems (like when lower the voltage etc) - well what should be max voltage setting for continuous performance? I guess 1.4V should be max limit, maybe less, maybe little more.

Next what does the APU/PCIE frequency change in OC mode in bios menu? Will it be just enough if I set this according the "Actually Hardcore Overclocking" videos? Mostly i want to know what all i need to care about while OC and what should stay taboo for me :D.

For the ram sticks: what timing and frequency set in beginning? Should i stay with defalut memory speed? Like 3466MHz with 16-18-18-38 timings or lower it on 3200 on 16-16-16-36 or something like that? What about the voltage? Should i set it up on 1.375V/1.4 or keep the basics 1.35V? Well i know having set XMP profile is necessary.

Voltage mode: I guess i should keep it on stable

CPU Vcore voltaxe: Fixed

CPU load-line calibrtion: Well I´m not really sure, just keep it on lvl 3 should be the best? I know he definitely explained this in the videos but since I´ m new in this it is a little hard to fully understand all features right now.

Well there is more couple options which should be set to Auto i suppose except DRAM Voltage which should i set according to frequency and timings for the RAM I guess

In the advance tab there is again a lot of options which I guess will be fine just set some values first time and then i shouldn´t worry about this anymore.

Anyway I tried to search in discussions for some tips etc but mostly ppls was talking about just several things and problems. I didn´t saw any screenshots with settings etc so I thought it would be better to ask directly because a lot of discussions were irrelevant to me (well at least for now). Thanks to everyone who want to help me just a bit and sorry for my bad english. Have a nice day!

EDIT: The OS will be Windows 10 Pro and sure I will install each driver as needed before flashing BIOS.

Edited by Pixen - 24 Sep 2017 at 8:26am
X370 Taichi, R7 1700, 4x8GB Trident Z F4-3466C16D-16GTZKW, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3, Crucial Mx200 500GB SSD + 2,5" Barracuda 2TB HDD, Corsair RM650x, Arctic cooling fans, FD Define C TG
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 7:44pm
wow lots of questions

but to be fair probably answered in a lot less lines Smile

having watched a few of the you tube reviewers regarding the taichi
actually hardcore is the most painful experiance ive come across
(it seems he is experiancing far too many food additives and colourings )
and several times his videos are just plain incorrect

try bryan from 'yes tech city' far more relaxed and calm

now as for you questions i set my cpu overclock in the p states option
and it stays rigidly fixed at 3.9 ghz and 1.3 volts my cpu LLc is set to level 2
my SOC is set fixed and 1.1 volts and also soc LLC at level 2
these settings work fine and have done since the start of april on all bios from 1.6 to 3.1

i suggest you DO NOT play with overclocking until you have installed the win 10 at stock speeds to prevent any hiccup with writing the basic operating system

as for ram i would suggest sticking with 2x8gb tridentz for maximum overclocking myself

heres the link to tech city overclocking guide which was done in bios version 1.6 or 2 but still is basically the same thing as latest bios (look at second half of video for the p state guide)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Tw-wcT7o4
my p state settings for 3.9 ghz and 1.3 volts are
9c

[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
brucer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 12:06am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

wow lots of questions

and it stays rigidly fixed at 3.9 ghz and 1.3 volts my cpu LLc is set to level 2
these settings work fine and have done since the start of april on all bios from 1.6 to 3.1

i suggest you DO NOT play with overclocking until you have installed the win 10 at stock speeds to prevent any hiccup with writing the basic operating system

as for ram i would suggest sticking with 2x8gb tridentz for maximum overclocking myself

heres the link to tech city overclocking guide which was done in bios version 1.6 or 2 but still is basically the same thing as latest bios (look at second half of video for the p state guide)

9c

When you set the pstate overclock.. do you only set the p state0 and leave the rest on auto or do you set it just like techyescity did?

Also shouldc6 and cstate be disabled doing the pstate overclocking and leave amd cool&quiet enabled?
Asrock x570 Taichi, Ryzen3800x, 32gb Gskill Royal 36000mhz@ 3733mhz, Samsung 250gb 970evo plus for OS drive, Sabrent Rocket 1tb nvme storage drive.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 1:33am
i used to set two at 3.9 and one at 2200 like tech city

i 'think' i just set one now and leave rest auto

i'll have to check and update post next reboot

i do switch off all cool n quiet , and c states etc

and still somehow since bios v3.0

my volts drop down themselves on idle LOL  but this has no detrimentail effect in fact i see it as good

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 1:53am
ok so heres the full settings im running now
in p states first and second section
9c
this is 3.9ghz and 1.3 volts
for some reason third box is set to
 7c
6c this translates apprently to 1550 mhz and .875 volts (i know i didnt set this)  Disapprove

i then on oc tweaker leave everything to auto apart from
cpu volts =overclock mode
cpu core = fixed
cpu volts = auto
llc level 2

soc = fixed
soc volts 1.100
llc = level 2

in advanced tab
cool and quiet off
c6 off
global c state is on auto

this is working like a dream for me on bios v3.1
max volts never above 1.3v
and auto downvolts down to silly low figures without issue on idle

Pixen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

wow lots of questions

9c
Hey man, thx for Your respond. Yep thats why I´m asking. I have seen more OC videos including Tech YES City You mentioned and I was really confused because they both have different settings and different explanations so still I don´t know where is the truth. From my experiences well known Youtubers mostly don´t pass on good knowledges - often is very hard to find someone who give really good advices which are corrects.

3.9GHz at 1.3V is very nice i suppose - You probably won the lottery :D. Did You try run the CPU at 4GHz? Which voltage was stable for this clock? I suppose if You had increase the voltage at 1.4V it started to be disadvantageous. What voltage should be maximum for continuous operation in Your opinion?

Yeah I know that. Firsty get the Windows installed, then the drivers, then flashing bios and then start some OC. But anyway thx for warning.

Hmm OK. Maybe I will try all 4 sticks first time and if the possible lower RAM speed will affects CPU performance i will try only 2 sticks.

Well I guess I will try multiple options for good OC performance. Hope I won´t screw anything since I watch the values. Thx!
X370 Taichi, R7 1700, 4x8GB Trident Z F4-3466C16D-16GTZKW, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3, Crucial Mx200 500GB SSD + 2,5" Barracuda 2TB HDD, Corsair RM650x, Arctic cooling fans, FD Define C TG
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 1:34am
well to be honest i havnt tried 4.0 ghz

for a few extra cinebench points and no real difference at all in real life i didnt bother

with what i can get stable now i would presume i would need another 0.05 volts on cpu eg 1.35v for a stable 4ghz at the max

but i see no need im not chasing any records ,i watched many reviews before buying my system parts
and decided than 3.9 was my target and then just played with lowering the volts to get it down to a figure to be proud about

anyways back to your system

as ive said
all you need to know and follow is bryans tech city video and use p states

his guide works great

alas i have three teenage girls and an older son who still acts like a teenager

i simply cannot listen to buildziod ranting and mumbling so actually hardcore is not on my viewing list

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic