ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions about X399 PROFESSIONAL GAMING build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 11:59pm
As said above, the current download with the Media Creation Tool will certainly be the most recent major version of Windows 10. But it evolves so much, the version can change within months or even weeks. That does not include ongoing minor updates.

Before a license key is installed, a few minor features are disabled, or need to be enable manually, but that is not of major significance. The key you purchase must match the version you installed (Home, Pro, etc), you will be prompted for which version to install when the installation begins.

tannji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 2:08am
Parsec:
yeah, that's how I installed fresh on my Laptop, just wasn't sure if that would be the latest build, tho one would hope.  Interestingly enough, it has never bugged me about a key or activation, it was apparently happy with my Hotmail/Live/Outlook login.  I do have a key I purchased online for Win10 Pro, so i would assume I am covered for the next DL with the media creation tool.  Linux has spoiled me, no such shenanigans, and performance, stability, security, and privacy are so much easier to work towards.  If I could just get a couple of AAA-type games on there that I like, I wouldnt even bother with MS.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 3:05am
tannji, if your laptop had W10, the key is maintained in a MS data base.  On your new machine be sure to setup your install drive for GPT not MBR.  I recommend, and use, GPT for all my drives.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
tannji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 4:15am
MisterJ, the key would be maintained on a laptop I never even powered up, and took the HDD out of?  I bought an Asus ROG, and replaced the HDD with an SSD, was assuming that that download I did would have been considered a unique install.  I also did the laptop install using UEFI and GPT, first time for each.  The win10 install was uneventful, but getting the the partitions flagged and mounted properly for the second OS was a little problematic at first.

Edited by tannji - 01 Oct 2017 at 4:18am
LurkerLito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LurkerLito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 4:35am
Originally posted by 128noGB 128noGB wrote:

Are you running 128GB of RAM?

Sorry I am not.

Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

Doesn't like what, IOMMU disabled?  If W10 is RS2 or above (version 1703 or above) then X399 likes it just fine.  That is what I am running (IOMMU enabled).

No Win10 does not like having IOMMU as auto or enabled. It always locks up when loading for me if that gets turned back on like if I clear the bios.

Apparently I am not on 1703 I am on 1106, which I have to say is messed up considering I used the media creation tool last week to make the media. Confused
AMD 1950x; ASRock X399 Fatal1ty V2.00; 64GB(4x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 CL14 (running 3066); EVGA 1080Ti SC2 Hybrid; Enermax TR4 360 AIO
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 4:36am
tannji, I am not too much on retail machines.  It was probably activated (MS data base) and you did not change too much (drive should be fine) you would be OK and have the original OEM license.  If you were happy with the type of W10 on the LT, you would not need to buy another license if you installed the same (32/64, home/pro).  If the version of W10 you will install on your new TR is the same as the license you bought, you should be able to use the license you bought if it has not been used for activation.  Have fun and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
raminro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raminro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 11:04am

ATTENTION ATTENTION

boys boys

ON RYZEN ONLY USE DUAL CHANNEL NOT 2*SINGLE

ON THREADRIPPR ONLY USE QUAD CHANNEL NOT 2*DUAL

inside ram,(hardware ,IC and pcb )single,dual,quad not same ,completly diffrante ,, many people think = dual =2*single channel ram or quad =4* dual ram

you must use only ram, write on box QUAD for threadripper (dual for ryzen)

if you put wrong ram your system cant start , even if start , hiccops rip in windows, harm your cpu

in amd thteadripper ,change your ram to this
gskill ri4*8 3200=250$
or
gskil ripjaws4 4*4 2400=150$

www.amazon.com/G-Skill-Ripjaws-2400MHz-PC4-19200-Channel/dp/B00N1OZDPO

for ryzen use only ram write on box DUAL CHANNEL
gskill RGB trident z 3200 2*8 =180$
geil evo x 3200 2*8 =120$

not , only use 2400 or 3200 (best frequency stable) not 3000mhz
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 11:58am
tannji, the ThermalTake Core X9. Hands down THE best case I've ever owned.

Room for..... You name it. And then some. MB lays horizontal, the top is easily removed so long as no radiator mounted there. Room for both arms to reach through, up to both their shoulders. At the same time.

Note: hehe, it is not a case you would haul to a LAN party. Unless it acted as a server. Gargantuan.

If you'd like pics of my water cooled system, PM me. Otherwise there are tons of reviews on it. Not one of 'em negative.

Best Price is @ Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Stackable-Certified-Computer-CA-1D8-00F1WN-00/dp/B00TQI9BY8

tannji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 2:36pm
Wardog:
That is an amazing case, and i have considered it in the past, but for this build I am actually shooting for as minimalist as I can while still reaching for HPDT.  No HDD's, probably no optical drive, AIO instead of water cooling, etc.  I am going to either run a LianLi test bench while I ponder a DIY cabinet or desk mod, or run with a Case Labs Bullet. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic