ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ultra Fast boot caveats?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donalgodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultra Fast boot caveats?
    Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 2:33pm
The UEFI settings say it's only an option for Windows 8.

I assume it will work with Windows 10, but I don't want to try it before I understand all the potential problems that might arise.

What's the easiest way to get back to default UEFI boot if something goes wrong?

I'm not booting in legacy mode at the moment, as I have in stalled W10 in UEFI mode and I'm using the AsRock AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX board.

From what I've seen in my 3.1 BIOS/UEFI, only Ultra Fast boot is available. I don't want to try it until I'm sure I understand it.

Can anyone offer any insight into these questions?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by donalgodon donalgodon wrote:

I assume it will work with Windows 10, but I don't want to try it before I understand all the potential problems that might arise.

What's the easiest way to get back to default UEFI boot if something goes wrong?

I'm not booting in legacy mode at the moment, as I have in stalled W10 in UEFI mode and I'm using the AsRock AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX board.

From what I've seen in my 3.1 BIOS/UEFI, only Ultra Fast boot is available. I don't want to try it until I'm sure I understand it.

Ultra Fast works with Windows 10 fine, that description should be updated. The only requirement for Windows is UEFI booting, which Windows 10 supports.

Not much can go wrong as long as you have a UEFI booting Windows installation. The Fast Boot setting is smart enough to reset itself to Disabled if something is not right, like the video source not being GOP compatible, a UEFI booting requirement. That happens during POST.

Otherwise, if you have a problem with it, which I have never experienced, with the PC off just do a UEFI/CMOS clear with the board's jumper. Default Fast Boot setting is Disabled, you're fine. Just save a profile of your UEFI settings to restore them quickly.

I don't know why the "Fast" setting of Fast Boot was removed. It has been that way for several Intel mother board generations now, I believe that setting is no longer available in any new board's UEFI. One aspect of Fast Boot is it shortens the POST procedure, which can have side affects if you are not UEFI booting, which was not required when just using the "Fast" setting.

donalgodon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donalgodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 3:12am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by donalgodon donalgodon wrote:

Ultra Fast works with Windows 10 fine, that description should be updated. The only requirement for Windows is UEFI booting, which Windows 10 supports.

Not much can go wrong as long as you have a UEFI booting Windows installation. The Fast Boot setting is smart enough to reset itself to Disabled if something is not right, like the video source not being GOP compatible, a UEFI booting requirement. That happens during POST.

Otherwise, if you have a problem with it, which I have never experienced, with the PC off just do a UEFI/CMOS clear with the board's jumper. Default Fast Boot setting is Disabled, you're fine. Just save a profile of your UEFI settings to restore them quickly.

I don't know why the "Fast" setting of Fast Boot was removed. It has been that way for several Intel mother board generations now, I believe that setting is no longer available in any new board's UEFI. One aspect of Fast Boot is it shortens the POST procedure, which can have side affects if you are not UEFI booting, which was not required when just using the "Fast" setting.

What do I need to reset the CMOS? I've never used the jumper to reset. Is it already on the board? How do I use this? From what I can see in the manual, the jumper is already installed and just needs to be moved over and then replaced. Is that correct?

Edited by donalgodon - 02 Oct 2017 at 9:08am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic