ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X399 Fatal1ty KB/m Switcher and bios access issue
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Fatal1ty KB/m Switcher and bios access issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LurkerLito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Fatal1ty KB/m Switcher and bios access issue
    Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 4:41am
I am having a strange bug happening on my system. I have 2 system setup so I am using a IOGEAR GUS402 USB switcher to share the KB/M. The problem is I can't access the Fatal1ty bios cause the KB/M isn't enabled till windows boots up when using the switcher to the rear USB 3.0 ports. If I connect the KB/M directly to the rear USB ports I can access the bios normally. At first I was thinking it was due to lack of power but that isn't the case. I plugged it in to give the IOGEAR extra power and it didn't help. Normally you'd start thinking this isn't ASRock's problem, but it really is because here is where it gets weird, if I plug in the IOGEAR to the front panel USB 2.0 ports, it works fine. So there seems to be something weird happening with the rear panel USB 3.0 ports and this particular device. KB/M are both USB 2.0 devices, and work fine in the rear USB 3.0 ports but this switcher is also a USB 2.0 device but it won't work till windows starts loading. Is there any kind of setting in the bios to put say the USB 3.0 ports by the PS2 connector into USB2.0 mode or something like that? Unfortunately plugging the switcher into the front only USB 2.0 ports is not an option. I am thinking the bios is thinking the device plugged in to the USB3.0 port is a hub and not a kb/m so it's ignoring it when the bios is loading while in the USB 2.0 port it enumerates the connected devices.
AMD 1950x; ASRock X399 Fatal1ty V2.00; 64GB(4x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 CL14 (running 3066); EVGA 1080Ti SC2 Hybrid; Enermax TR4 360 AIO
LurkerLito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LurkerLito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 1:04pm
Well just a follow up. It definitely looks like some kind of initialization error with the IOGEAR and the USB 3.0 ports. I ended up working around it by putting in a USB 2.0 rear bracket from an old motherboard and plugging that into the free USB2.0 motherboard header. So I now have it plugged into there, and it works perfectly fine. This still should be addressed by ASRock though because it is possible that this might occur for people who put their USB kb/m into a hub instead of directly into the rear USB 3.0 ports.
AMD 1950x; ASRock X399 Fatal1ty V2.00; 64GB(4x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 CL14 (running 3066); EVGA 1080Ti SC2 Hybrid; Enermax TR4 360 AIO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic