ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi X399 Quad Channel freezes Windows10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadRipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi X399 Quad Channel freezes Windows10
    Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:40am
I have just built a new PC and I am having problems with RAM compatibility.
When I use all 4 RAM modules and Windows 10 is trying to start, the PC simply freezes at login screen, or I can login and it freezes after a couple of seconds after that. This happens every time I start the PC. 

If I instead try to reformat my HDD and install a fresh copy of Windows onto it then either it freezes completely during the installation or after first reboot when it is configuring Windows for first use. This also happens every time I try to install Windows.

I have tried to run the RAM sticks at 2133Mhz, 1866MHz cl 16 and cl18, 1.35V and 1.4V. Also tried increasing SOC voltage to 1.05V. It made no difference to the abovementioned problems.

I tested each stick individually in Memtest 86+ and every RAM module passes the tests.
Then I tested all 4 modules at the same time thinking that the PC should freeze when RAM is under heavy load, since Windows freezes during install and boot every single time. But no, the Memtest runs fine with all 4 RAM modules.

I can also mention that Windows works just fine when I only use 1, 2 or 3 RAM modules (no matter which of the four) and is stable through stress-testing in Prime95 (tested 2h).

Do you know, is there something in UEFI that specifically Windows accesses that can cause these problems because it seems like there is no instability with the RAM outside of the operating system (since Memtest86+ works with all modules inserted)? Something I can try? Reading on the Internet, the only BIOS setting I found that people mentioned was IOMMU should be set to Disabled, but in my case that made no difference. Same problem persists.

In other words, as soon as I insert the fourth RAM module I get freeze problem at Windows bootup, at every boot. But not ouside of Windows (Memtest for instance works fine). I tried to also configure a dual channel setup with two RAMs in each channel - it did not change the problem in any way, still the same.
The RAM I use is the Corsair LPX 3466MHz CL16 (CMK64GX4M4B3466C16).
ThreadRipper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadRipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:56am
I should also mention that my BIOS is 1.70.
In 3-channel mode I can run the RAM at 3066Mhz (14-14-14-1T) and at 2800MHz at (12-12-12-1T) at 1.4V. This was stable in Prime95 Blend test for the entire testing time of 2h 20m.

So what could it be that stops me from running four RAM modules. Neither Quad channel nor Dual Channel works with four RAM modules. It works as long as I am not trying to install Windows or tryuing to boot an installed Windows. In both cases everything simply freezes sompletely, no BSOD no nothing.

Voltage for DRAM and SOC does not seem to have an effect...and that seems resonable because the RAM is already stable outisde of Windows (such as in Memtest86+ that is booted from a USB drive) even with four modules. So is it some interaction between BIOS setting and Windows that is  incompatible when four RAM slots are used?

Anyone?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 3:38am
really only guessing here

but a driver issue ?
or some windows program or part of windows trying to address some area of the ram thats causing a conflict ?

have you tried to boot into safe mode (vanilla drivers loading and basic system)

have you tried a cd rom linux boot (eg not installing but running linux from the cd )

the last two might help you or us to track down whats happening
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadRipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 4:12am
Hi,
Thanks for your reply!

What category of driver that  is loaded by Windows Installer when booting it from USB, could be the culprit (since the windows installer also froze the entire PC, already on the first screen (when one is presented with options for choosing keyboard, language etc)?

I shall try to boot into safe mode, but wanted to create a Linux Live boot USB first for testing and so I did.
Results are: It seems to be working just fine on Linux Live (latest Ubuntu 17.xx) with 4 RAM modules installed in Quad channel setup.

So, to me that indicates some issue with Windows more specifically, or perhaps some setting/bug in UEFI that makes Windows freeze in this way...

My config. by the way is:

TR 1950X (stock speeds)
Asrock Taichi x399 (BIOS P1.70)
Corsair LPX 4x16GB 3466MHz (CMK64GX4M4B3466C16) rev. 4.31 (Samsung B-die)
Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W
Sapphire HD7970 (stock speeds)
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB

Thanks!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 4:26am
First, a fresh OS install. An old stale hdd with drivers loading from another chipset from another MB/chipset won't get it.

Then, if it's Windows 7 you are installing, 7 does not have the driver(s) req'd for installing and you need to choose and perform the below:
http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Win7Install/
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 4:53am
ThreadRipper, cool handle!  I do not think it is a driver issue.  I would guess the problem is the fourth stick or the fourth memory slot.  Test each stick and each slot one at a time.  Try a stick in slot 1 then 2, etc.  Also try each stick in a known good slot.  You might try all four sticks in the second quad slots (A1, B1, C1 and D1).  Let us hear the results.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadRipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 7:56am
I solved the problem with the Windows freezing with 4 RAM moduels installed, and the problem was a tiny USB3 4-port extension card I had forgotten about and didn't see because of the GPU. i removed the card, inserted fourth RAM stick, reset BIOS and did a fresh install of Windows. AND IT WORKED! No more freezes!

So the USB3 card was the culprit.

However, now I have got another RAM related issue.
BIOS defaults set everything to auto (which is 2133MHz CL15) and that boots Windows and everything works. But as soon as I now try activating XMP profile and then loweing the RAM speed myself to /any value/, the computer will beep three times, reboot, beep tree times, reboot, beep one time, reboot and then BIOS is reset automatically.

A few days ago when I actually build the PC, I could run 4 RAM modules at 3066MHz CL16 1.35V outside of Windows. But now all of a sudden it refuses to even POST at 2133MHz - if I set it manually. If left at auto (which results in same speed and timings) it works. What is the ddifference between auto and XMP with manually set values to the same as auto sets them to?

Very strange. Also tried to change RAM Speed from Ryzen Master, same problem at reboot.
I even downgraded to BIOS P1.50 but that did not help. Same problem. I don't get it, what has happened? Resetting BIOS does not help either.

Why can't I even set the speed manually to even 2133MHz when Auto sets the same. And earlier I could POST and run outside of windows at 3066MHz with 4 moduels, but now I cant get it to POST when manually set to 2133MHz. Something is very strange...?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadRipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 7:58am
Hi, Thanks! :)

I solved the problem! See the post above.
However I ran into the next problem now. Once again, please see the post above. 

Something is not right with the BIOS or something?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:04am
have you by chance removed ram sticks between this NOT  happening and this start to happen ?

if so i suggest you remove and reinsert the ram

it may not be making a good contact and thus now playing up
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadRipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 11:14pm
Thanks, yes it must have been loose contacts, because I reseated all RAM modules and now it works!
This kit now ran quite a few hours in Prime95 Blend test at 3066MHz, 14-14-14-14-28-1T at 1.37V with no issues. 

Here are the results and some realted AIDA64 memory benchmarks.
Not the 3466MHz CL16 that the memory is specified to, not today at least but perhaps with a later BIOS revision.

So far I'd call this RAM kit compatible in Quad cahnnel configuration for Threadripper. Revision is 4.31 (Samsung B-Die).

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic