ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AMD response to AGESA/BIOS query.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 11:41pm
Then next year we get DDR5 - 2x speed of DDR4.  Will there be MBs next year using DDR5?  I guess we'll see.  Ultimately I think AMD will produce on Ryzen and TR.  AMD tests with much later AGESA versions and I suspect memory vendors do too via NDA.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 3:06am
guys
may i suggest something

there is a thread/topic over on overclcokers specifically with ram timings achieved

a great deal of time has been spent testing ram on x399 by a guy called chew (brian maclochlan)

he has a taichi but the findings will apply well enough to add to your skills and efforts im sure

he has also proven that like ram chips and like cpus not all imc's are created equal

compounded by swapping out exact same spec cpus in a system and finding one just cant run the ram at the same settings as the other

@ sonic
with your ram ,and your skills and time
i would expect you can find the missing ingrediant after reading though that thread and making a few notes to gain 3200 stable

chew has even posted exact screenshots of samsung b dies with safe timings and fast timings

its really worth the read mate

http://www.overclock.net/t/1638140/asrock-x399-taichi-fatality-overclocking-and-unofficial-support

[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
SoniC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoniC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 6:13am
Thanks datonyb, appreciate.
But given the amount of time I've already invested (and that this is not my first platform based on ZEN) I have my doubts if I reach higher... 
Maybe (just maybe) with some timings from chew I might be able to squeeze another step stable (3066 that is) but this is really a hair-thin thing.
Anyway - I'll give it a shot on the weekend where I will need to stay home anyway (on-call duties in the IT sometimes really suck ;-) ).

-=SoniC=-
TR x1950, ASRock X399 FPG (v. 3.33A), G.Skill 3200 CL14 64GB, Enermax LiqTech 280,
AMD Vega 64 LC, 10x HDDs (mostly Hitachi), 2x M.2 (970EVO,960Pro), Xonar DX, AX1200i PSU
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 7:38am
Originally posted by SoniC SoniC wrote:

But given the amount of time I've already invested (and that this is not my first platform based on ZEN) I have my doubts if I reach higher... 
Maybe (just maybe) with some timings from chew I might be able to squeeze another step stable (3066 that is) but this is really a hair-thin thing.
Anyway - I'll give it a shot on the weekend where I will need to stay home anyway (on-call duties in the IT sometimes really suck ;-) ).

i dont know how much help it is

but

there is a lot of happy people also using the ryzen ram calculator program

ive got high hopes it may also help with x399 settings (seeing as at deep levels its just two ryzens)

there is a lot of help by the author as well
maybe say hello to 1usmus over on his support thread and ask how suitable it is for assisting with TR
http://www.overclock.net/t/1640919/ryzen-dram-calculator-overclocking-dram

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
SoniC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoniC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 8:13am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

i dont know how much help it is

but

there is a lot of happy people also using the ryzen ram calculator program

ive got high hopes it may also help with x399 settings (seeing as at deep levels its just two ryzens)

there is a lot of help by the author as well
maybe say hello to 1usmus over on his support thread and ask how suitable it is for assisting with TR
http://www.overclock.net/t/1640919/ryzen-dram-calculator-overclocking-dram

Just checked the RyZEN DRAM calc, and it more-or-less is also viable solution to calculate TR DRAM timings (once the platform hopefully gets an update for Hynix and other stuff).
The profiles/timings provided my chew are however tighter and more fine-tuned.

Seems another weekend will be gone quickly for me ;-)

Edited by SoniC - 09 Nov 2017 at 8:14am
-=SoniC=-
TR x1950, ASRock X399 FPG (v. 3.33A), G.Skill 3200 CL14 64GB, Enermax LiqTech 280,
AMD Vega 64 LC, 10x HDDs (mostly Hitachi), 2x M.2 (970EVO,960Pro), Xonar DX, AX1200i PSU
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 2:58am
ive just read a reply from the calculator author (1usmus)

he advised the calculator will work with threadripper

may i suggest trying them at 'safe' suggestions first check its stable then trimming them down to either chews findings or the calculators fast settings step by step

chew has put a fantastic amont of effort and real world testing into amd platforms

but its hard to get all data from his findings in one place
(eg he'll post a ryzen timing checker screenshot but may lack procodt or volts that he used)

a great mind with too little time to babysit all of us i presume Smile

SoniC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoniC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 7:33am
That's what I've also found after comparing the results.
My suggestion is to take chew's timings (safe ones with 4 DR modules) and the rest from the safe settings in the calculator.

Will test a few of the combinations during the weekend and will drop here some results.

Edited by SoniC - 10 Nov 2017 at 7:34am
-=SoniC=-
SoniC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoniC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 12:50am
Ok guys... and gals... and girls (in case there are any on this forum - drop me a PM ! :-P  ).
Now to the point -- I couldn't wait any longer and have checked virtually all the combinations --- the proposed by chew (for 4 DR 16GB Sticks) plus combinations done with the RyZEN DDR Calculator based on a mix of chew's settings, safe settings from calc, with some viariances as suggested.

Results:
None of the combinations was able to get me past 3066 boot (unstable), which I already archieved earlier on.
3200 is still unbootable.

Still stable is 2933 for the 64GB 4x DR Ripjaws V Sticks. These exact sticks run without a problem with full speed when put into a X370  X1800 Platform. So I know they are perfectly fine.

After so many hours spent setting up the BIOS I think my next challenge will be to set it up from scratch with my eyes closed.... LoL.

Anyway... let's hope that the complete rewrite of AGESA will bring some positive effects to those who have been unlucky...

P.S. Chew provides the settings for the 1.50 BIOS, I've tested it with the latest (1.80) and on a X399 FPG platform, not Taichi. So the results may vary for others....

Ohwell....

Edited by SoniC - 11 Nov 2017 at 12:52am
-=SoniC=-
JUANNY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUANNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 1:09am

Ok guys... and gals... and girls (in case there are any on this forum - drop me a PM ! :-P  ).
Now to the point -- I couldn't wait any longer and have checked virtually all the combinations --- the proposed by chew (for 4 DR 16GB Sticks) plus combinations done with the RyZEN DDR Calculator based on a mix of chew's settings, safe settings from calc, with some viariances as suggested.

Results:
None of the combinations was able to get me past 3066 boot (unstable), which I already archieved earlier on.
3200 is still unbootable.

Still stable is 2933 for the 64GB 4x DR Ripjaws V Sticks. These exact sticks run without a problem with full speed when put into a X370  X1800 Platform. So I know they are perfectly fine.

After so many hours spent setting up the BIOS I think my next challenge will be to set it up from scratch with my eyes closed.... LoL.

Anyway... let's hope that the complete rewrite of AGESA will bring some positive effects to those who have been unlucky...

P.S. Chew provides the settings for the 1.50 BIOS, I've tested it with the latest (1.80) and on a X399 FPG platform, not Taichi. So the results may vary for others....

Ohwell....

AMD definitely got their work cut out for them in terms of trying to get higher speed ram to work reliability in threadripper. I just ordered 64gb of flare x that I should get next week gskill  F4-2933C14Q-64GFX https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232644 Going to see if this kit that is optimized for threadripper has potential to OC past 2933
Asrock X399 Fatality Pro Gaming Bios 2.0 Threadripper 1950X Cpu cooler Enermax 360 mm TR4 GSkill 64 GB F4-2933C14Q-64GFX Windows 10 X64 PRO Version 1709 Build 16299.19 2X EVGA 1080 TI in SLI mode
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 1:25am
shame to hear you didnt get any further sonic

i really had high hopes with your attention and the help of chew and 1usmus that you could be a frontrunner with the x399 regarding ram

it seems
the threadripper is in infancy much the same along its timeline as ryzen was with its own timeline

(you would assume lessons learnt from ryzen by both amd and the board partners would have assisted greatly with threadripper at launch........it appears not )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic