ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 Extreme4 - USB3.0 issue!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonialb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z77 Extreme4 - USB3.0 issue!
    Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:48am
Hello,

Maybe it's an old issue, sorry I didn't have time to search the forum. 

My motherboard model is an Asrock Z77 Extreme4. These days I installed Win10Pro-64bit. It was an upgrade from Win7. Everything went fine (drivers, updates etc.) except USB blue-ports.  Two of them (ASmedia) are working properly as 3.0, all others (Intel hub I guess) are not acting like USB 3.0! 

The same issue I had in the past on Win7, but I managed to fix it installing Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver.

What I read was that Windows 10 has built-in USB 3.0 drivers, so no more external Intel package to download from Intel support website!

My question is, if is there any way to make these blue-ports to work properly as USB3.0, just as they should be? Or Win10 is not fully compatibile with this model of motherboard? Maybe I should go back to Win7!Confused

thanks
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:20am
Originally posted by tonialb tonialb wrote:

Hello,

Maybe it's an old issue, sorry I didn't have time to search the forum. 

My motherboard model is an Asrock Z77 Extreme4. These days I installed Win10Pro-64bit. It was an upgrade from Win7. Everything went fine (drivers, updates etc.) except USB blue-ports.  Two of them (ASmedia) are working properly as 3.0, all others (Intel hub I guess) are not acting like USB 3.0! 

The same issue I had in the past on Win7, but I managed to fix it installing Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver.

What I read was that Windows 10 has built-in USB 3.0 drivers, so no more external Intel package to download from Intel support website!

My question is, if is there any way to make these blue-ports to work properly as USB3.0, just as they should be? Or Win10 is not fully compatibile with this model of motherboard? Maybe I should go back to Win7!Confused

thanks

You are right about Windows 10 and the USB 3.0 driver. Windows 10 uses its built in USB 3.0 driver for ALL of the USB ports, including the USB 2.0 ports. Intel does not provide a USB 3.0 driver for Windows 10.

Windows 7 does not have a built in USB 3.0 driver, which is why you must install a USB 3.0 driver with any Windows 7 installation.

This seems like it would be a standard issue with a standard fix, but Windows 10 upgrade installations can have strange results like your issue.

You did not explain how the Intel USB ports are not "acting" like USB 3.0 ports. I assume they seem to be slower than they should be when in use?

Did you check the Device Manager entry for the Intel USB 3.0 controller? If it has the USBXHCI.SYS driver installed, that is the standard Windows 10 USB driver. Or you might have USBHUB3.SYS as the driver on a Root Hub.

If you check current Intel boards, only the Windows 7 download pages have USB 3.0 drivers. You can try to install one of the Windows 7 USB 3.0 drivers, but if might fail when the installation program detects Windows 10. This is the latest Intel USB 3.0 driver for Windows 7, which also matches your 7 series chipset board:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21129/USB-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver-for-Intel-7-Series-C216-Chipset-Family?product=65855

tonialb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonialb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:32pm
Hi parsec,

Yes, I've USBXHCI.SYS in Device Manager. 

Today I did some tests with FlashBench and CrystalMark. 

Surprisingly results were different! With the same USB device (Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 64GB), before two days, I had other results with speed with Intel ports. While no change with Asmedia ports! It seems the problem remains on Sandisk device. It doesn't support trim. I'm aware of it but I thought I could do something that would have the permanent effect. 

Btw, I followed the link you gave me, but it failed on Win10, for minimum requirements. :)

Anyway, thank you for the help.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic