ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't run 2 identical kits at XMP speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't run 2 identical kits at XMP speed
    Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 9:13am
Hi,

Hopefully someone is able to help me with this issue. I just build myself a X399 system with a Threadripper 1950X CPU and a X399 Taichi motherboard. I'm extremely satisfied but I've got a problem with my RAM.

I bought some quite expensive 2 x identical kits G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-32GFX - 3200Mhz, CL14, single rank, Samsung B-die. I though I would get at least these advertised speeds. Well, it turned out a bit differently. I can boot fine at XMP speeds only when just one kit (4 sticks) is installed. If both kits are installed I can't boot with anything higher than 2933 Mhz (8 sticks).

I used the following settings (at once) to try and boot with 2 kits (8 sticks) at 3200 Mhz:
  1. Raized SOC voltage (vddcr_soc) to 1.2V
  2. I left vddcr_soc_s5 on Auto as I was unsure what this is. On Auto it reads 0.9V and I can set it no higher than 1.2V
  3. Changed SOC LLC to Level 2
  4. Raized RAM voltage to 1.5V
  5. Loosened the timings to CL16
  6. Changed ProcODT to 60 Ohm
  7. Changed Command Rate to 2T
And I still couldn't boot higher than 2933. sadsmiley.gif I can hit 3600 Mhz, CL15, CR 1T fine with just one kit so I think they should be capable enough. By the way, my BIOS version is 1.5. Would flashing 1.7 (the newest one currently) help run both kits at XMP speed?

Thanks in advance!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 6:51pm
8 modules is really pushing the IMC. The board is allocating twice the resources (and power) to get them to fire up. Honestly, I am impressed you managed 2933 on all 8. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying you won't be able to go higher but you do have to bare in mind the lingering issues with AMD and memory. I suspect it will be a while before we see higher speeds (fully stable) on a fully populated X399 board.

I could be wrong here but I didn't find any evidence of anyone hitting 3600 on 8 dimms with the X399 platform. Admittedly my search was rather quick and dirty but I did look Tongue

I would imagine as the AGESA code matures for the X399 platform you will see better results. As it is you have already covered most of the tweaks I can think of to try. If you do succeed however, please drop in and let us know what worked for you Wink
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:15pm
Fair enough, thanks a lot for your input! I will remember to post here if I get better speeds on 8 dimms in the future.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:38pm
duke can you confirm you are running
8 sticks total 64gb in your board

just for reference as the 8 stick 128 kits seem to be having issues
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:40pm
p.s. im having some time this morning with my ram and its cold boot issue

so far fingers crossed ive made progress

i will update with my findings and see if i can help you get a little further
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

duke can you confirm you are running
8 sticks total 64gb in your board

just for reference as the 8 stick 128 kits seem to be having issues

Yes, I have 8 sticks of total 64GB RAM (I have 2 kits of these - F4-3200C14Q-32GF).

Edited by duke - 07 Oct 2017 at 9:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic