ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty Z97 Killer works once for 10 minutes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty Z97 Killer works once for 10 minutes
    Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 5:05pm
I built a new PC with the Fatal1ty Z97 Killer Mainboard, and it worked for about 10 minutes. I startet to install Windows 7, but it suddenly shut off. Now it won't even start, when I press the power button I hear the fans for a split-second, nothing else happens.

I already reset the CMOS, and tried starting with only CPU/RAM connected, but that changes nothing.

Is my Mainboard broken or is there an other explanation?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 9:12pm
We will need a little more information such as full system specs, was the system overclocked, what voltages and settings did you set for the overclock?

I have created a sticky about clearing CMOS effectively, you can try the method I outlaid and see if it helps. Your symptoms are indicative of 2 potential problems I can think of.

1. Bad overclock settings, which a clear CMOS should fix
2. Bad power getting to the system, try reseating all the power cables and look for any potential shorts, screws under the motherboard, nicked wires etc.

Good luck
Dahaka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 9:27pm
The System is:
Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer
Intel Core i7-4790K
Coolermaster Nepton 120 XL
Crucial Ballistix DDR3L-1600 2x8 GB
Asus Radeon R9 390X DirectCU II
bequiet! Straight Power 10 800W
Crucial BX100 SSD 250 GB
Seagate Barracuda Desktop 2 TB
ASUS BC-12D2HT Blu-Ray Combo
Fractal Design Define R5

As I just built it, I did not overclock anything.

I already reseatet every cable and cleared the CMOS (but I did not wait 4 hours, will do that now), it's still not working.

Edited by Dahaka - 12 Aug 2015 at 9:29pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 9:38pm
I am sorry to hear about your problems, there is nothing worse on a new build than running into this kind of thing. Lets see what we can do to fix it.

Your parts list is solid so unless you got a defective PSU I don't think a substandard PSU is the problem. Looking at your parts list and based on the fact you are posting here I assume you have another system operational?

If so you can try using it's PSU on a bare bones boot of the new system. Just motherboard and RAM and see if the system posts.

If it does not then that should rule out power as the problem completely. Then the next step is to carefully check for bent pins with a magnifying glass. Also be sure you have not over tightened the CPU cooler, too much pressure on the CPU can cause the pins to shift out of alignment. Another thing you can try is to power on the system with nothing installed, just the power connected. The fans should spin up in this case, if not then it is likely that the board is the fault. From all accounts I have heard here on the forums the ASRock RMA procedure is fairly reliable. Don't lose heart, this kind of thing happens all the time with boards from all manufacturers.

Try the things I mentioned above and post back if they don't work and we can see what other steps can be taken.

[edit] Another thing just occurred to me, if you already have everything nestled into a case, take it all out and check for anything shorting like misplaced standoffs or loose screws under the board. This is another reasonable explanation for the 10 minute working then dead scenario. 

Best of luck to you.

Edited by Xaltar - 12 Aug 2015 at 9:41pm
Dahaka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 10:21pm
I have tried the PSU of my other machine -> same reaction
I have removed everything an checked all pins -> I can see no bent ones
I have tried just PSU + mainboard -> no reaction at all
I have also checked if there was anything which could short circuit the board, and found nothing.

I think I now have to return the Motherboard and get a new one?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 11:28pm
It looks that way, if the board is reacting the same on 2 different PSUs and still not powering the fans properly without RAM and CPU then it is most likely dead.

Good luck with your RMA
jamjakpa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamjakpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 4:18am
I don't know if this is the wrong section for it but does the motherboard Fatal1ty Z97 Killer support Crossifre Fury X ? thank you in advance 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic