ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Gaming WD SSD problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimblah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Gaming WD SSD problem
    Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 6:33am
[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]Hi,

I have a problem with X399 Gaming and WD m.2 SSD (1TB WDS100T1BOB-00AS40). It isn't recognized at all if used in slot M2_2 or M2_3 (error code A6 in bios) . If it is placed in slot M2_1 there is no picture at all and no boot (looping of error codes 21 12 33 dE Ad A2). The drive itself is fine, tested in other MB. Is this a BIOS error? I'm using BIOS 1.70.

Edit:
I have also test that all these slots work with a Samsung PM961 drive.

Edited by Kimblah - 08 Oct 2017 at 7:23am
dechamplian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dechamplian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:45am
I remove the SSD and the compute boot correctly.
I reinstall the 1.5 and now it is ok with my ssd.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Kimblah Kimblah wrote:

Hi,

I have a problem with X399 Gaming and WD m.2 SSD (1TB WDS100T1BOB-00AS40). It isn't recognized at all if used in slot M2_2 or M2_3 (error code A6 in bios) . If it is placed in slot M2_1 there is no picture at all and no boot (looping of error codes 21 12 33 dE Ad A2). The drive itself is fine, tested in other MB. Is this a BIOS error? I'm using BIOS 1.70.

Edit:

Originally posted by dechamplian dechamplian wrote:

I'm not sure if these posts are from the same person or not, it seems that might be true.

The only POST code that is an error situation is the last one that is shown in the Dr Debug display. Any of the Ax POST codes are related to SATA device problems. If you can get into the UEFI/BIOS, POST completed successfully, and the A6 code shown is just the code of the last POST test that completed, and does not mean there is a problem. It is normal for an Ax POST code to be shown when using the UEFI/BIOS interface.

The Western Digital M.2 SSD you have is a SATA M.2 SSD, which should work fine in any of the M.2 slots. The Samsung PM961 is an NVMe SSD, and since it is recognized the M.2 slots should be working fine.

The new 1.70 UEFI/BIOS version adds the new AMD NVMe RAID support. You did not say if you use RAID mode or not, or if you have any RAID arrays in that PC.

Do you have the SATA mode set to RAID or AHCI? I'm curious because the 1.70 UEFI version is new and changes the way RAID works, and I wonder if it might be causing some other issues, or if it is related to AMD's new RAID.

Kimblah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimblah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

[URL=][/URL]
Originally posted by Kimblah Kimblah wrote:

Hi,

Edit:

Originally posted by dechamplian dechamplian wrote:

I'm not sure if these posts are from the same person or not, it seems that might be true.

The only POST code that is an error situation is the last one that is shown in the Dr Debug display. Any of the Ax POST codes are related to SATA device problems. If you can get into the UEFI/BIOS, POST completed successfully, and the A6 code shown is just the code of the last POST test that completed, and does not mean there is a problem. It is normal for an Ax POST code to be shown when using the UEFI/BIOS interface.

The Western Digital M.2 SSD you have is a SATA M.2 SSD, which should work fine in any of the M.2 slots. The Samsung PM961 is an NVMe SSD, and since it is recognized the M.2 slots should be working fine.

The new 1.70 UEFI/BIOS version adds the new AMD NVMe RAID support. You did not say if you use RAID mode or not, or if you have any RAID arrays in that PC.

Do you have the SATA mode set to RAID or AHCI? I'm curious because the 1.70 UEFI version is new and changes the way RAID works, and I wonder if it might be causing some other issues, or if it is related to AMD's new RAID.

Posts are not from the same person. Mine is set to ACHI. Will have to try the 1.50 BIOS.
Kimblah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimblah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 4:29pm
BIOS 1.50 didn't help with me. Any thoughts Asrock?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic