ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399, CSM, UltraFast Boot & User profile.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399, CSM, UltraFast Boot & User profile.
    Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 3:20am
Please see my signature for my system specifications.  In preparation for a NVMe boot RAID,  I set some RAID settings such as SATA RAID mode and NVMe RAID mode.  I saved this as a profile and hit F10.  All OK.  I went back into BIOS and loaded my saved Profile, all OK.  I then set Ultra Fast Boot and F10.  Did not boot any faster but OK.  Went back into BIOS and turn off Ultra Fast Boot so I could see CSM and disabled it.  Tried to save as my Profile and nothing happened.  Rebooted OK, went back into BIOS and tried to load my Profile and it hung - mouse cursor not moving, F keys do nothing, had to Reset.  Booted OK into W10.  The explanation to the right of CSM in BIOS says W8 only.  Really?  A thread here says I must disable CSM before installing Windows or it will not work.  Really?
As you can see, I need some advise.  TIA and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:29am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

Please see my signature for my system specifications.  In preparation for a NVMe boot RAID,  I set some RAID settings such as SATA RAID mode and NVMe RAID mode.  I saved this as a profile and hit F10.  All OK.  I went back into BIOS and loaded my saved Profile, all OK.  I then set Ultra Fast Boot and F10.  Did not boot any faster but OK.  Went back into BIOS and turn off Ultra Fast Boot so I could see CSM and disabled it.  Tried to save as my Profile and nothing happened.  Rebooted OK, went back into BIOS and tried to load my Profile and it hung - mouse cursor not moving, F keys do nothing, had to Reset.  Booted OK into W10.  The explanation to the right of CSM in BIOS says W8 only.  Really?  A thread here says I must disable CSM before installing Windows or it will not work.  Really?
As you can see, I need some advise.  TIA and enjoy, John.

CSM is NOT only for Windows 8. I have CSM disabled on my Ryzen PC with Windows 10, and it boots fine. The description in the UEFI for Fast Boot should be updated to include Windows 10. Actually the description should be updated so it actually makes sense, it doesn't currently IMO, and is the same in any ASRock UEFI that I have ever seen. Some information on CSM:

Install Windows 8.1/10 with CSM enabled (the default): You can only boot Windows with CSM enabled.

Install Windows 8.1/10 with CSM Disabled: You can boot Windows with CSM Enabled or Disabled.

You can also configure the available CSM sub-options with CSM enabled, but that is out of the scope of the Fast Boot option.

You cannot use Ultra Fast boot unless you INSTALLED Windows 10 with CSM disabled. Normally the UEFI just resets Fast Boot to Disabled if you set it to Ultra Fast but did not install Windows with CSM disabled. Or, it just puts you into the UEFI after you Save and Exit after selecting Ultra Fast, under the same circumstances.

To use the Ultra Fast setting of Fast Boot, you MUST have CSM disabled. As you saw, select the Ultra Fast setting, and the CSM option is hidden, as a safety feature I assume. Really to force disabling Fast Boot to get the CSM option back. IMO, it would make more sense to only display the Fast Boot option when CSM is disabled. But Fast Boot used to have two settings, Fast and Ultra Fast. Fast could be used with any CSM setting.

Actually, Ultra Fast "Boot" is a shorter POST time, so the overall startup or "boot" time is reduced. That varies depending upon the system. HEDT systems like X99, X299, and probably X399 have longer POST times. Ryzen POST is sloooow compared to mainstream Intel, I have both, my Z270 PC is at the desktop in less than half the time the Ryzen PC is. That is with Ultra Fast disabled on the Z270 and Z370. Enable RAID in the Ryzen PC, and POST is even slower.

Don't forget that from a cold boot/start, the Windows 10 Fast Startup feature is active, but ONLY on a cold start/boot. Any restart after that is without Windows Fast Startup.

There seems to be a bug in the Ryzen, and now with your experience, the TR UEFI/BIOS, when you attempt to load a UEFI profile that has the CSM option disabled. My ASRock X370 board will freeze in the UEFI when I load a profile with CSM disabled. Others in the forum have reported this too. I need to test that again with my X370 board's latest UEFI, but other versions have behaved this way. I run all my Windows installations with CSM disabled, but NONE of my many ASRock Intel boards and one AMD 970 board have the problem with loading a UEFI profile that has CSM disabled. My Ryzen PC is the first one I have experienced the UEFI freezing when loading a profile with CSM disabled.

I imagine you can understand why the Fast Boot description is not very good, since any decent explanation takes more text than will fit in a small description area.

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:50pm
Thanks much, parsec.  You have a ton of knowledge on Fast Boot, CSM and BIOS.  Where did you get it all?  I learned some yesterday with lots of work, but not in any one place.  I have decided to forget about Fast Boot.  This morning I opened my BIOS hit F9, Set SVM (Hyper-V) and am booting much faster than having the RAID settings active.  I will set them later when I am really ready to do a RAID - am discouraged now and must understand more.  I did discover that I need CSM disabled in the AMD Gaming Blog - https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/10/02/now-available-free-nvme-raid-upgrade-for-amd-x399-chipset

Q: Is your NVMe RAID solution bootable?

A: Yes. Create the RAID array with the RAID management menu(s) in your BIOS, then proceed with Windows installation. Please ensure that your system is in pure UEFI mode by installing Windows with Compatibility Support Module (CSM) disabled in your BIOS. You will also need the NVMe RAID driver on a flash drive, as the Windows installer will ask for it before your array can be detected.

BTW, this is my Free NVMe Raid Solution!  I agree with your statement about the description needs restating to make sense.  Most of what is said in the BIOS is the same.  The QRs are useless to me since I do not even have a smart phone.  Why not give us a link that I can use.  Are these useful at all?  Could you post a link that would allow me to look at the information.  I have ask ASRock what all the acronyms and abbreviations in the BIOS mean and got nowhere useful.  The CSM screen says USB stick cannot be booted which is a killer for my install method , I boot USB WinPE to start flat install.  Being hard headed, I disabled CSM and booted to F11 with my WinPE USB mounted - very short list of candidates - Win Boot Manager and my USB stick.  So I booted the USB stick and it worked fine.  Glad that inculcation was wrong.

I did find a post of a load profile hanging on another vendor's MB, so this may be a common bug (AMI?).

Thanks again parsec and enjoy, John.

Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic