ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Win 7 install - no ps/2 emulator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nealsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Win 7 install - no ps/2 emulator
    Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 3:20pm
Hello all.

I'm sure you will have seen similar posts on this but I'm having difficulty solving it.  I've tried several guides and still stuck!

New build computer with ASRock AB350M motherboard.  Trying to install Win7 from USB as I don't have a cd drive.  Used the ASRock USB patching tool successfully to go through the install process successfully with mouse and keyboard working.

Now I'm stuck at the Setup Windows page which comes up after the boot screen.  Keyboard and mouse light up at the boot screen then turn off as the Windows logo appears and I can't type anything into the Setup Windows page.  Tried plugging my USB keyboard into a PS/2 adaptor and it doesn't work at all!!  Also tried various USB setting 

I've read several posts including a reply on this forum suggesting there is an option in the BIOS for PS/2 emulator.  But there is no such option in mine.  I flashed the BIOS to update to the most recent version and still have no option for this.

Please help!!

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 4:59am
nealsmith, the bottom line is that ASRock officially supports only W10 on the the Ryzen boards.  That does not mean it will not work - others have been successful.  Does you board have a combo PS2 KB/Mouse port on the rear panel.  If so, I suggest you get a Y-cable and use your old PS2 KB and Mouse.  I think the real problem is that W7 does not have USB drivers before install.  Please let us hear what you learn.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
codename47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codename47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 8:13am
I just registered to tell you that I had similar issue while I was installing Windows 7

I would recommend you using 2 USB's 
1. Source USB with Windows 7 (bootable)
2. Empty Destination USB

Now use the AsRock patching tool to browse source and destination drives. Press Start and wait for it to finish

Now you should be able to boot using the destination one usb.
Very Important:
Do not put the USB in USB3.0 PORT! Always use the old Black ports (2.0) for booting and same for the keyboard and mouse.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have success/fails
"Codename 47":
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
AsRock A320m
16GB Corsair LPX 3200
128GB Intel 600p NVMe SSD
2 x 500GB SATA HDD
1 x 1 TB SATA HDD
nVidia Gt520(Adobe QVL)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:51am
Originally posted by codename47 codename47 wrote:

I just registered to tell you that I had similar issue while I was installing Windows 7

I would recommend you using 2 USB's 
1. Source USB with Windows 7 (bootable)
2. Empty Destination USB

Now use the AsRock patching tool to browse source and destination drives. Press Start and wait for it to finish

Now you should be able to boot using the destination one usb.
Very Important:
Do not put the USB in USB3.0 PORT! Always use the old Black ports (2.0) for booting and same for the keyboard and mouse.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have success/fails

First for nealsmith, my ASRock X370 board's UEFI/BIOS does not have a PS2 Emulator option, so I doubt that yours will, sorry to say. I do have that option in the UEFI of many of my ASRock Intel chipset boards, so it does exist.

codename47, this is great advice, and the use of the USB 2.0 port is also critical, if not required. This is true for the Windows 7 installation, and there is never any reason to use a keyboard or mouse on a USB 3.0 port, unless that is all that is available. Why it is missing in the Ryzen board UEFI's, I don't know, there may be a reason for that.

Some AM4 boards do not have any USB 2.0 ports on the IO panel. But they have a USB 2.0 header on the board, for use with a USB 2.0 PCI slot adapter that provides multiple USB 2.0 ports on the back of a PC case. I'm not talking about a USB 2.0 card, I mean simply a PCI slot adapter that connects to the USB 2.0 header on a mother board.

Newer Intel chipset boards also have the same situation with Windows 7 and all of the USB ports not working, due to the lack of a USB 3.0 driver. Boards like the AB350M that has USB 2.0 ports on the IO panel, still won't work with a standard Windows 7 installation, seems strange, right? So what is it about these boards that cause them to refuse to install or use a USB 2.0 driver? Intel has a document that implies that a board with USB 2.0 ports will not be affected by this situation, but that does not seem to be true.

My X370 Killer SLI/ac board has two USB 2.0 headers on the board for connection to a PC case's USB 2.0 ports, or a USB 2.0 PCI slot adapter. I have some idea why the USB 2.0 driver will not install, but I have heard multiple explanations for this situation. I'd love to hear what others might know about this.

nealsmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nealsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 6:48pm
Thanks all of you for the replies.  

My keyboard and mouse are USB.  Both work in the BIOS (and the windows 7 installation, thanks to the AS Rock patching tool), however now Windows 7 is installed, once Windows starts to boot up, the keyboard and mouse are inoperable.  There is a "Setup Windows" page before you actually get into Windows for the first time which wants me to set up a user name.  As my keyboard won't work I'm stuck here!  If I could find a way to bypass this screen I would be ok!

I am only using USB 2.0 sockets as I read that USB 3.0 won't work.  It seems USB 2 doesn't work either!  I got a USB to ps/2 adapter and this doesn't work at all - even in the bios.  I'm reluctant to buy an old PS/2 keyboard as I don't think it will make a difference.

I tried adding drivers to the Win 7 boot USB and re-installing Win 7 but no joy.

I've tried everything I can think of now.  I've gone through the bios tens of times looking for some relevant setting and have drawn a blank.

My last resort is to give up on Windows 7 and try to install Windows 10 by creating a Windows 10 boot USB using another computer.

The frustrating thing is that I built the computer with parts from PC Part Picker which indicated that all of the components are compatible with Windows 7... I think not.

Thanks again for your time.

Neal
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:10am
nealsmith,
Quote with parts from PC Part Picker
I have seen this multiple times, mainly with power supplies that are not sufficient.  As I said in my first reply, officially ASRock only supports W10.  I do not understand the "patcher" process you used, but referring to this:
Quote I tried adding drivers to the Win 7 boot USB and re-installing Win 7 but no joy.
If you mean you just copied them to the USB stick, then NWNJ (no wonder no joy.)  Please try starting your install again and when you get to the screen asking you to select an install disk, click Add Driver (or something like that), I think it is in the lower left area of the screen.  Navigate to your USB stick folder containing the USB drivers and select the folder.  Setup should install the USB drivers for your Mouse/KB.  The folder should contain an .inf, .sys, .cat and perhaps a few more files.  Please let us know what you learn.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
Nightbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 6:20am
Hi,

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Win7Install/

Edited by Nightbird - 11 Oct 2017 at 6:20am
nealsmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nealsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 7:57pm
Thanks for the suggestions but I still couldn't get Windows 7 to work despite trying everything suggested and everything else I could think of.

After wasting hours and hours trying to get Win 7 to work, I managed to download Win 10 on another computer and create a boot USB and successfully install Win 10 on to the new computer.  All of this took less than 2hrs.  Wish I'd thought of it in the first place!

Thanks again for all your suggestions.  
Thumbs Up
codename47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codename47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:11pm
I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 too after reading about the Windows 7 support for Ryzen

Imagine that pain of finally getting windows 7 to work to windows 10 in about 1 -2 hours
"Codename 47":
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
AsRock A320m
16GB Corsair LPX 3200
128GB Intel 600p NVMe SSD
2 x 500GB SATA HDD
1 x 1 TB SATA HDD
nVidia Gt520(Adobe QVL)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic